Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM

40 posts, read 55,152 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I am looking to move to SF. From NYC so I'm used to expensive things but I am trying to budget 2k on a studio. Is this even possible in SF?
If so, which areas am I able to afford with this budget (beside Tenderloin), and what would I have to give up (social life? lol). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:53 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Try Craigslist or padmapper (https://www.padmapper.com/listings/s...lse&dogs=false).

Yes, place like the tenderloin will have the most units, but you can find some outside of that area of town. You'll likely be further out, though.

To be honest, unless you absolutely need that privacy, you're money will go further in SF in a roommate situation. You'll still get your own room, and the whole apt will likely be much nicer and in a better location. And, if you're lucky, the roommates could turn out to be a great and easy way to meet new people here.

Try Craigslist and the Bay Area Rooms and Apartments Facebook group (very active, especially for roommate listings).

Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times
Almost everyone in your situation lives with roommates.

You can find some studios in the East Bay for that price.

Really though, in 2016, if you have to say "able" and "afford" in the same sentence, it's best to avoid moving here.

San Francisco has become one of those places, where if you have to ask if you can afford it, you can't.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:20 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eudai View Post
I am trying to budget 2k on a studio. Is this even possible in SF?
If so, which areas am I able to afford with this budget (beside Tenderloin), and what would I have to give up (social life? lol). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, of course. SF is expensive but it's not that compared to NYC.

With a 2k budget, you will be able to afford many nice area. You may even find a few one-bedroom within your budget. What is your criteria? Close to BART? Close to night life? Not too cold? Young crowd? Family friendly? Cheaper but further or closer and more expensive?

If you're moving before summer, you might be able to pick and choose a bit. But renting will be crazy during the summer and my advice is to apply for everything and just settle for the first one that takes you.

Here are a couple samples:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5422439317.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5437944502.html

Last edited by beb0p; 02-07-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, of course. SF is expensive but it's not that compared to NYC.

With a 2k budget, you will be able to afford many nice area. You may even find a few one-bedroom within your budget. What is your criteria? Close to BART? Close to night life? Not too cold? Young crowd? Family friendly? Cheaper but further or closer and more expensive?

If you're moving before summer, you might be able to pick and choose a bit. But renting will be crazy during the summer and my advice is to apply for everything and just settle for the first one that takes you.

Here are a couple samples:

OPEN thur 5.30pm **1850 Sunny top floor Studio
Sunny Studio Apartment -6
I don't intend to be rude here, but, what kind of advice is this??? One beds in downtown Oakland in new buildings are renting for $3,100+ now. Maybe you last looked at the rental market 5-10 years ago.

OP, look at Craigslist. You are going to have a hard time. If it sounds too good then it is probably a scam. Everywhere is expensive here now. It's not like NYC where you can find good hoods for a "cheap." I could be mixing you up so if you aren't from NY than just ignore my last line. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I don't intend to be rude here, but, what kind of advice is this??? One beds in downtown Oakland in new buildings are renting for $3,100+ now. Maybe you last looked at the rental market 5-10 years ago.

OP, look at Craigslist. You are going to have a hard time. If it sounds too good then it is probably a scam. Everywhere is expensive here now. It's not like NYC where you can find good hoods for a "cheap." I could be mixing you up so if you aren't from NY than just ignore my last line. Good luck.
I also laughed at beb0p's post. Those tiny apartments are 350 sq ft in the middle of a bad, bad area. In concord, you can find studios for $2K in a decent building.... not in Oakland, not in the East Bay, not down the peninsula, and certainly not SF.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:41 PM

40 posts, read 55,152 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, I am living in NYC currently. Pay ~1600 for a studio in Harlem (Hip" Harlem near Columbia university). I am just more used to living alone so I wanted to inquire; but looks like having a roommate will be most economical option, since my salary will be the same.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post

You are not being rude, but you are being very misinformed and ignorant. You should not be offering advice on something that you don't know much about. Downtown Oakland consists of new shiny condos and access to BART. So of course they are that price (Btw, there are still some under $3,000). If you had paid attention you'd noticed that:

1) The OP is looking for a studio, not a 1-bedroom.
2) I have provided samples of studios under $2,000.

Here are a few more:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5434799478.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5434025977.html

OPEN thur 5.30pm **1850 Sunny top floor Studio

Remodeled Studio close to 9th / Market corridor

BRIGHT STUDIO APT ON HAIGHT

OPEN HOUSE- rescheduled!! Remodeled Studio Cottage

Studio Open 2/7(Sun)-noon to 12:30pm

The problem on this forum is that too many posters are greatly exaggerating the rent price. Yes, SF is expensive, but is it so expensive that $2,000 can't put a person into a studio? Of course not! Just look at the postings for evidence.

OP, don't listen to people who is trying to play boogie man. Your budget is enough to get into a studio, you will face competition and you have to have your ducks in a roll in terms on document and professionalism; but you should be able to find a place with that budget and good credit.

Last edited by beb0p; 02-08-2016 at 01:28 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I also laughed at beb0p's post. Those tiny apartments are 350 sq ft in the middle of a bad, bad area. In concord, you can find studios for $2K in a decent building.... not in Oakland, not in the East Bay, not down the peninsula, and certainly not SF.
The OP is looking for a studio, so yes, studio in SF is usually under 500 sq ft.

But you are absolutely, completely wrong about the neighborhoods. In fact, your comment made me think you probably haven't step foot in SF for a long time. Mission District is bad neighborhood? Not since the 2000s. Haight Ashbury? NOPA? SOMA? Potrero Hill? Bad neighborhoods? LOL.

You highlight problems with this forum, too many people who only had a passing familiarity of SF is offering advice. Please stop. Let people like me, who actually live here, do that.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:58 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,886 times
SF is more expensive than NYC, except at NYC's top tier, where NYC "wins" - Manhattan brownstones, elevator buildings, higher floors, with a view especially, and top-tier Brooklyn (same).

Because NYC is so much bigger, that means in NYC's 2nd tier, there are many more less-expensive places than SF. So overall, if you're not making a lot of money to start (e.g minimum 125k) , and don't have big upside in SF (i.e can grow well beyond that figure), financially, it won't be a good move overall, especially if you think you want to stay here. It's like planning on staying in Manhattan - it's that kind of cost pressure that invades your life.

We're probably at the very beginning stages of a long slow tech contraction, so unless you're a developer or engineer, I'd think twice.....

But if you come with the attitude to just try it out, and can leave easily if things go south, sure, go for it - although there are many like you in the same boat here. Hope you have in-demand skills and relationships here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland