Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 PM

93 posts, read 129,336 times

Advertisements

So i want to major in Nursing (BSN) title. I have the right courses to transfer to UCLA and the CSU system. However USF is requesting completely different courses, such as Theology, Ethics,Philosophy, and many other non science related? Is that the ONLY way to be admited as a student? You have to follow THEIR set of requirements rather than ones that actually benifiet my major?

Last edited by BuildingsR'Us; 02-11-2016 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Did you not realize that it's a private, Jesuit school? Or...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR'Us View Post
So i want to major in Nursing (BSN) title. I have the right courses to transfer to UCLA and the CSU system. However USF is requesting completely different courses, such as Theology, Philosophy, and many other non science related? Is that the ONLY way to be admited as a student? You have to follow THEIR set of requirements rather than ones that actually benifiet my major?
Each college, university, or university system is free to set their own requirements for graduation. If you don't like the requirements at a particular college or university, then find another college where the requirements and curriculum are closer to your preferences. Don't expect a college to change their graduation requirements just because you don't like them; if it's not your cup of tea, apply somewhere else.

Which college to attend is entirely your choice.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:16 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
So i want to major in Nursing (BSN) title. I have the right courses to transfer to UCLA and the CSU system. However USF is requesting completely different courses, such as Theology, Ethics,Philosophy, and many other non science related? Is that the ONLY way to be admited as a student? You have to follow THEIR set of requirements rather than ones that actually benifiet my major?

Like 04kL4nD said, it's a religious school. I'm afraid there is no way around it unless you can convince them to change their requirements.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:08 AM

Just re-read your original post and realized that you are a transfer student.

What you might do is contact their transfer admissions office and ask if you can get an early read on which of the courses you've already taken might meet their core curriculum requirements. Many private universities will also admit transfer students who haven't completed all of the core curriculum requirements and allow them to finish those courses after they enroll. The admissions office can also put you in touch with someone in the nursing program who certifies that transfer students have met the required pre-requisite pre-nursing courses as well.

In any case, a call to the transfer admissions officer should help answer your questions and maybe put your mind at ease. Good luck, and sorry again that I missed that you were a transfer, not a freshman.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-12-2016 at 01:20 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 AM

93 posts, read 129,336 times
Very helpful information! Thank you and i have a better understanding now.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
They have a strong core class requirement for all majors. I used to attend USF, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Very helpful information! Thank you and i have a better understanding now.
This link might be helpful: https://www.usfca.edu/sites/default/...um_courses.pdf

It's USF's core requirements information for transfer students. Two pertinent quotes:

Completion of the core areas is NOT required for admission. However, at least 1 course in each core
area and a total of 44 semester credits must be completed for graduation.

 Two of the core requirements, Rhetoric and Composition (A2) and the Service Learning (SL) MUST be
completed at USF.

 Most courses that transfer to the California State University (CSU) or the University of California (UC)
are transferable to USF, with a few exceptions.

 California Community College students: please check the Articulation Agreements we have with
many colleges to help you select courses at your college. If you have completed the Intersegmental
General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements, USF will waive the core requirements
except for Areas A1, A2, D1, D2, D3, service learning (SL) and foreign language (if applicable).

So, if you've done IGETC, you'll only need to do a small number of the core requirements after you transfer.

I still would recommend talking to the transfer admissions office and the nursing program if you have any questions. They'll be happy to answer them.

Good luck with your applications!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: