Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times

Advertisements

So how much does an Auto Mechanic make in the Bay Area? Lets say, someone with about 5 year of experience working at an average shop, not a dealership. What would be a typical hourly wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
No idea. I can tell you that 2 garage owners I know (one personally, one through a friend) say that it's very hard to get good mechanics here because they can't pay them enough due to high cost of living. My guy let his mechanics go and does all the work solo.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:21 PM

227 posts, read 538,515 times
Depends on the job. AC Transit is currently hiring for journey-level mechanics, as an FYI.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:42 PM

964 posts, read 994,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
Depends on the job. AC Transit is currently hiring for journey-level mechanics, as an FYI.
If you qualify, this would be a sweet deal; full benefits. If you don't have a journeyman's license, do what you have to do to get one. Transit jobs are good jobs, unionized.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:04 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I have a friend that used to work for Caltrain and now works for MUNI as a mechanic, and he loves his job. Great benefits and salary from what he tells me (unfortunately, I don't know those exact details, but I know he can afford SF even today).

I know 2 other people who work for MUNI, but they're both drivers not mechanics - but they say the pay and benefits are great, also.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
There are a few factors to consider. First, what type of car(s) are being worked on. And, what shop. Reason these are important is because many mechanics who specialize in German cars came from dealerships where they were sent to "school" to be certified to work specifically on these cars and the dealerships. NOW. A lot of these certified mechanics will go to work for themselves and/or another non-dealership auto shop. In that situation you have a choice as the owner of a German car. 1) Go to the dealership and pay $275/hr. for labor or, go to the guy who worked at the dealership and now works on his own for just a portion of the hourly rate.

The shop is also a factor. Some shops charge more while other charge less. You can get a feel for the "range" of what something should cost to replace/repair. But that's the best you can do. But do factor in the 1) type of vehicle and 2) the shop that you are getting the work done.

So if you are a mechanic, these are the factors to look at as to how much you can make. Best bet is if you know someone who's got a shop in the area and who will hire you. There are tons and tons of guys who can wrench on cars around here.

Hell, just last weekend I was in AutoZone and some guy was out in the parking lot doing a complete brakepad replacement on someone's van. The "mechanic" didn't even have any tools of his own. He got the floor jack, jack stands and some tools from AutoZone along with the pads and after the job returned all the equipment into the original boxes and was returning them to get a refund (this was the point when I was at the store picking up some bulbs for my car). I bet he charged the guy a $100 or so.

Last edited by FC76-81; 02-12-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 08:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Caltrans was hiring mechanics, I don't know if they still are, but they pay well and offer great benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland