Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 AM

112 posts, read 161,785 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I posted a while back about my boyfriend and I coming to San Francisco for a few days. We had a great time there and enjoyed lots of great food and sights! We're planning to come back again for a short trip at the beginning of May. We didn't get a chance to tour Alcatraz so we want to do that.

We used lyft the entire time we were there last time which worked pretty well for us. This time I'd like to take advantage of the public transportation as well. We were thinking of staying somewhere that we could easily access public transportation and get us down near the wharf for the Alcatraz tour.
Looked in union square area, but prices are pretty high. I know that not much is going to be cheap in SF.
Are there any nice places to stay that might be not too crazy expensive that we could easily access BART to get us down to the wharf? We are very very low maintenance and don't require anything fancy whatsoever. We just want to stay in an area that has some nice bars and restaurants that we could walk to.

OH, and is Dungeness crab going to be in season in May?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:25 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,847 times
The SFMTA system map is online at:

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...-RTP-Outln.png

In your shoes, I might look for something near the J and the N rail lines in the Castro district, or perhaps close to the frequent running 5, 38 and 1 bus lines east of Fillmore or Divisadero. But please take my advice with a grain of salt. I may live in S.F., but am close to the Daly City border, and have never tried to book a central city S.F. hotel room as a tourist. I'm chiming in only because no one else has replied.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,245,633 times
You may want to consider the hostel at Presidio. They offer private rooms and you can basically walk to the Wharf.

https://affiliates.hihostels.com/hos...herman-s-wharf

I usually suggest visitors stay north of Geary because most of the touristy areas are north of Geary. So look in Marina, Cow Hollow, North Beach, Russian Hill. These are usually the more expensive area but I am assuming you are going airbnb and you may find some deals here and there. BART don't go there but you can basically walk/bike/bus to many places a tourist would want to go.

BART does not go to the Wharf, but you can exit BART at Embarcadero and take the F line (faster) or Cable Car (slower) to the Wharf.

If you want to go as cheap as possible but stay within BART route then I suggest around the Balboa station. It's a residential area, blue collar, very ethnically diverse, and not really for tourists. Next would be the Glen Park area. There is a small commercial strip there.

One other area is the Richmond District, BART doesn't go there but it's generally cheaper than the city hub and it's close enough to the Wharf.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Thanks so much

Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,994,196 times
No crab

California

Also, a poster recently managed to find a good deal on a hotel around Union Square/Embarcadero for under 100$ a night through Hotwire during Superbowl week. I honestly didn't think it was possible! You could give that a try.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...art-stops.html

Old 02-18-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No crab

California

Also, a poster recently managed to find a good deal on a hotel around Union Square/Embarcadero for under 100$ a night through Hotwire during Superbowl week. I honestly didn't think it was possible! You could give that a try.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...art-stops.html
Thanks for the info!

I'm so sad to see that about the crab.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,746,102 times
I have my issues with airbnb and yet, recently when needing to spend some time out of state in an area where hotel prices were extremely high, i turned to airbnb. Once i got used to the way the site worked, it was actually fun to look (and find) just what i needed.
I was in a resort area where the cheapest room was averaging about $200 a night. I found a sweet cabin (this was in a mountain resort community) for $70 a night.
If you find a place with a good "host" or "hostess" it can be a really good experience and much less expensive.

www.airbnb.com

Last edited by blueskywalker; 02-18-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,780,473 times
Dungeness crab season starts in Nov. but I've heard there is problem this year.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:30 PM

We ended up going with "Post hotel" near (in?) union square.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looking forward to our 2nd time in San Fran!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland