Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

I keep reading and hearing Bay Area Real Estate is unaffordable...

Cash accounted for 38% of November Sales... evidently there are still people with money buying.

Cash sales avoid the lender requirements that can turn the process into a nightmare... not just for buyers but also for sellers.

I personally have come to detest the entire lending process... a few years ago my lender offered a simple existing customer refi... wasted months trying to get it done... went to my Credit Union and it was a slam dunk.

Sellers love having a Cash Buyer.

It simplified Negotiations.

Transaction Costs were lower

At recording the property you own it.

No Appraisal anxiety

Paying cash doesn't prevent the owner from later refinancing and this is what I am seeing more... a cash buyer to get into the property that later takes out a First Deed of Trust...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-28-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Investors. People/entities who make the market more expensive, but don't put any of their money back into the local economy. Screw them.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 PM

I know a few cash buyers... my god sister is one... she started at Apple as a High School summer intern... years later cashed in her stock and paid cash for a modest home in Campbell California...

Some have come into money from varied sources... settlements to inheritance.

What I find fascinating is people with cash willing to go all in on Bay Area Real Estate.

It shows at least anecdotally there are those that still think it to be a wise move and this is not even 10 years after many said Bay Area Real Estate was done to never return...

My little corner of Oakland has simply taken off... can't say how many times it was down for the count... looking back even 4 years ago the prices were half of what they are now.

It also seems to be a strategy to beg and borrow money to make a cash offer... get in and settled and then get a loan to get the money back to the source... stocks, family, etc...

Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
The frequency of cash offers just highlights the extreme concentration of wealth flowing into this area, and it certainly shows how unaffordable the housing environment is for "ordinary" people. Even if you have the 20% to put down on a $1.5M home - and that in itself is certainly not "ordinary" by any American standard - you're still basically uncompetitive.

As for the argument that this is a sign of sustainable real estate price build-up... well, I sincerely doubt that. The tech bubble burst is already starting, and I expect real estate prices will head for the crapper soon...and then it will start all over again. The fact that rich people are putting huge piles of money into accumulating stuff has never been a good sign of anything economically sustainable; just that rich people got rich and now have a lot of buying power. For those who can buy a several $M home in cash, of course, none of this really matters. They likely have plenty more millions to weather any downturn.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:40 AM

Seems like owning outright would be a big disincentive to liquidate should the market take a downturn.

A lot of people bailed because they owed more than their home was worth last go around...

With fewer people leveraged and many paying down or paying off... I'm betting the next cycle will not be as extreme.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:02 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
It's not just the Bay Area....there are a lot of cash buyers in ATL, where real estate is nowhere near as high as it is there. My friends who were shopping last year started to get desperate because every house they put an offer on had a cash buyer swooping in and taking it. Personally I can't see having that much cash to put into a purchase all at once unless I had an inheritance or something.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 AM

Real Estate has always been a series of peaks and valleys...

Does seem to always ratchet up after a downturn... at least on the West Coast.

Time will tell if those buying now will regret or not.

I had been seriously looking in 2012 and was not able to make it happen... with that in mind I'm again on the sidelines...

My brothers both bought around that time and have seen some real gains.

What I see a lot of is people that embraced renting and were really OK not owning or had sworn off owning and now majorly depressed because homes are up and so are rents...

Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 AM

40 posts, read 40,039 times
Thank the Federal Reserve/Wall Street for destroying the economy and the market. Trillions of hedge fund dollars looking for anything that can yield a return or simply a place to park large amounts of cash. Ordinary folks are priced out. We cant stop the madness until the head of the beast is killed.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:10 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I wouldn't read anything of the kind into it. Cash sales nationally are around 36% so it's only slightly above the national average. Cash sales in 2006 were around 26% or so. The dropping percentage of cash sales just means it's a combination of easier to get approved and less institutional (not necessarily large) investors buying SFHs. I mean, I'd have loved to buy in the 2008-'11 period but actually getting approval for any kind of loan then was very difficult.

I got stuck in the rental market. I wouldn't say it's something that really depresses me but, yeah, I'd rather have bought.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It seems odd that the same percentage applies to Seattle:

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/b...8-percent.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland