Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:57 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,663,356 times

Advertisements

when my wife and I moved a few years ago we did it by ourselves. I wouldn't feel comfortable even asking people to help. We aren't packrats but I did have to take apart a very large home gym and treadmill and reassemble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 AM

38 posts, read 41,133 times
Yeah.. Packing sucks.. We're doing it now. I'd NEVER ask friend to do this.. and when asked for help from our friends, I politely say "No.. Sorry". If you can afford it, have the movers do all your packing.. It's pricey, but worth it.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,627,481 times
I thought I was paying it forward... in college and later I was always the one who could get a truck or truck and trailer... helped just about all my friends.

Years later not one has been available to reciprocate... many have moved and others have health issues...

Only helped a few pack... they were elderly... I have helped with transport more than I can count!!!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,020,782 times
No friends are obliged to help you move. There's a reason that people pay professional movers. If your goods are that excessive - you might want to consider becoming more minimalist, or just pony up the bucks.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,096,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I helped one friend move, who was suppose to move on a certain day, and when I came, she was in a frenzy, since the time was coming. She asked me to help her with the dishes which I did. Besides the ones in the cabinet, there were dishes in the sink I had to wash and dry to wrap up. She was not very organized. My husband had helped this same woman move with her boxes, taking them to her new place. Do you think she makes any sort of motion to say she will help me? No. So this is how you find out who your real friends are, and at this point I am beginning to feel I don't have any anymore. I feel sad, angry and stresses out. My husband can't take off too much time right now until we actually begin to move in, and after work he goes to have a beer. I am too tired to go in to have a drink with him at the end of the day. And now I need a massage.
OK, this person whom you helped seems extremely disorganized and rather dithery. I would not want her packing my stuff. Who knows where things would end up? She can't help you because she can't even help herself. Your husband certainly does not sound stressed out, so why are you? You should get your massage. Figure out another way to accomplish this, like paying a company to pack those things that are appropriate, paying someone to take away stuff you don't want, etc., and try to chill a little. I know from experience how awful packing can be. But you are in control of how you feel and what decisions you make. You aren't in control of the decisions others make, so I recommend letting that go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland