Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

Sorry if these posts are annoying, but getting an insider's view from people who actually live in the area is super helpful. I'm graduating in April and was wondering if this is a good offer for a NON-engineering position. I studied a tech-related field, and the position is for a tech consultant. I currently live in a very low COL state, so its hard for me to make accurate comparisons.

I have an offer for a tech company in the bay area. These are the details:

base— 80k
Signing— 5k
Relocation— 5k
10% annual bonus~ 8k
RSUs (Vesting period is 25%/year over 4 years)— 18k
-6 months of free rent in East Bay (corporate housing)

I know the base is quite a bit lower than most tech companies, but its important to remember that I am not an engineer and the other perks seem quite good (especially the free rent). Is this a good offer for a recent tech-oriented graduate?Also, Im single, prefer roommates, and after the 6 months of free rent, I practically can move anywhere that is close to a BART station because the work office location is located next to one.

Thanks for your help/thoughts in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
So you are just graduating from college and have limited experience in the workforce. And don't think you are making enough money. Even though you are getting paid ~the median wage for all workers in the median.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 4,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So you are just graduating from college and have limited experience in the workforce. And don't think you are making enough money. Even though you are getting paid ~the median wage for all workers in the median.
Sorry if it came off that way-- that's not how I meant it. It has nothing to do with whether or not i'm getting paid enough for my experience, but rather If I should forgo starting a career in the bay area due to the high CoL. It's been hard to accurately predict the median wage in respect to the high CoL in the bay area. I've used various CoL calculators, but they all seem to vary as well as its hard to factor benefits into those calculators.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,886 times
The RSU situation - really we can't evaluate that part of the package unless we knew more about the company, which you can't do publicly. It's common for companies to sell young employees on this idea that their stock will be absolute gold, as good as money in the bank. Depending on the company, that can be a mirage (in fact that is by far the most likely scenario), and of course they can use this to offer lower actual compensation.

Aside from equity situation, generally looks like good enough pay for a non-technical NCG for the bay area. Note that you will not feel rich at all, and you will probably need (not just want) a roommate or 2 unless you want to spend all your money.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM

964 posts, read 994,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday67 View Post
Sorry if these posts are annoying, but getting an insider's view from people who actually live in the area is super helpful. I'm graduating in April and was wondering if this is a good offer for a NON-engineering position. I studied a tech-related field, and the position is for a tech consultant. I currently live in a very low COL state, so its hard for me to make accurate comparisons.

base— 80k
Signing— 5k
Relocation— 5k
10% annual bonus~ 8k

I know the base is quite a bit lower than most tech companies, but its important to remember that I am not an engineer and the other perks seem quite good (especially the free rent). Is this a good offer for a recent tech-oriented graduate?Also, Im single, prefer roommates, and after the 6 months of free rent, I practically can move anywhere that is close to a BART station because the work office location is located next to one.

You're off to an amazing start! Where's your job location, exactly? You can live in the East Bay and commute to wherever. After a couple of annual raises, you could even live near your job, if you want to spend that money. I wouldn't--I'd live where rents are a little cheaper, to have money to save for the future.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
It's a good offer, take it

Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Why would you turn down an offer like that, right out of college? Congratulations! That is definitely a living wage in the Bay Area, and an offer that shouldn't be refused, in view of the regular raises. Welcome to the Bay!

Oh, and as previously mentioned, your salary will go farther if you can rent in the East Bay. Hopefully your job isn't located on the SF peninsula, or if it is, they offer shuttle service for commuting...?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday67 View Post

base— 80k
Signing— 5k
Relocation— 5k
10% annual bonus~ 8k

Short answer: comp looks fine for someone at the beginning of their career. When you leave the corporate housing, you won't be moving into your dream home, but you should be fine. It's likely that you would have a higher standard of living elsewhere, but better career opportunities here.

See below on equity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
The RSU situation - really we can't evaluate that part of the package unless we knew more about the company, which you can't do publicly. It's common for companies to sell young employees on this idea that their stock will be absolute gold, as good as money in the bank. Depending on the company, that can be a mirage (in fact that is by far the most likely scenario), and of course they can use this to offer lower actual compensation.

Aside from equity situation, generally looks like good enough pay for a non-technical NCG for the bay area. Note that you will not feel rich at all, and you will probably need (not just want) a roommate or 2 unless you want to spend all your money.
Agreed. Most important question is this: is the company's stock publicly traded? If yes, consider the equity a cash bonus (understanding that it may not be worth 18k when it vests, but can be converted to US currency at the prevailing market price).

If the company is not publicly traded, then the equity is probably of nil value. And if it becomes of real value, you will be in need of tax advice. If these are RSUs, then I'm assuming the company is actually publicly traded, as most startup equity is in options. Keep in mind that you will pay income tax on RSUs.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM

139 posts, read 193,221 times
Your giving very little information for us to determine weather your employer is giving a competitive salary or not.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 255,615 times
I think it's a really good offer. My kid recent graduated college, I'd be thrilled if she got an offer like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: