Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 33,894 times

Advertisements

Some background info:

We are interracial a couple (I'm Asian and she's 1/2 Caucasian 1/2 Persian) have a 7 yr old daughter (2nd grade) who are currently living in the city. We moved to SF 2 yrs ago and there are many things we love - intelligent progressive thinking people, natural beauty, outdoor activities, world class cycling, beaches, mountains, hiking, etc - and some things we don't, mainly congestion and traffic.

As a result we are considering a move out to Marin - Mill Valley, Larkspur, Corte Madera, San Anselmo, Ross or Kentfield and are also considering Piedmont.

I am an entrepreneur who is looking to start my next company. I had previously started a tech company but am now looking to do something related to coffee or another tech company (consumer). I am not interested in raising venture as I'm at a stage in my life where I have the luxury of self funding my company and my #1 priority is my family.

Our ideal town has the following characteristics:

1) Close knit community - neighbors know each other and are welcoming
2) Great schools - either private or public, our daughter currently goes to private
3) Place where are kids would feel comfortable and proud of their heritage - I remember growing up in Texas and being made fun of for the way I looked and the foods I ate.
4) Short commute to work - 20 min or less (one way). Life is too short to be spent sitting in traffic
5) Walkable & bike friendly - coffee shops, restaurants, cafes. Love that about where we live now, we mainly go to Union & Fillmore.
6) Close to outdoor activities - avid runner and cyclist (road mainly). I love the cycling in Marin, love the redwoods and winding roads. I haven't cycled in East Bay yet but have heard there's good cycling there as well. I'd like to be able to run out of the front door of my house and be able to go for a nice 6 mile run too.

We love Marin but have read some negative reviews that people aren't very friendly and it may not be the place where minorities feel the most comfortable. I understand these are generalizations.

My other concern is the commute in Marin to SF. I wouldn't be interested in commuting to SF everyday so thought I would office in either Sausalito or San Rafael. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on whether there's enough tech talent in Marin to support a 50 - 100 company tech company.

I'd looking for people's thoughts and opinions as to which town may be the best fit for what we're looking for and why. I'd love and appreciate thoughts on each of the individual towns.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
There will be a larger number of workers in the East Bay. Re-locate the business to downtown Oakland on a BART line for workers to get to the office. Commercial rents are rising but still lower than SF. Lock in a 10 year lease. Live in Piedmont or surrounding area and have a short commute to your office.

Piedmont is not necessarily walkable if you are further up the hill so I'd recommend areas near Lakeshore and Grand since those are walkable areas.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I think Crocker Highlands or Trestle Glen in Oakland would be perfect for you. Or the Glenview. You could easily make a 6 mile loop that includes running around the Lake and even the Cleveland Cascades if you want to hit the stairs. They are roughly adjacent to Piedmont but offer a more practical walk. Elementary schools are good now but not sure about the high school situation. Also around Piedmont Ave (which is also near Piedmont) would be more walkable. A bit further from the lake. Running to the lake from there and back (including the lake loop) would put you right around 7 miles. This whole zone has hills you can find or avoid to give you different challenges.

Not sure about the road cycling thing but you could hang out at the roadie bike shop on Piedmont Ave (Velo something). I don't know where the roadies are going but I see them in the vicinity. Probably headed around highway 13 and skyline drive.

Piedmont is lovely but not too walkable if you are too far up. That hill is very very steep. Also biking is super popular so there is some infrastructure and more planned and lots of roadies in the vicinity.

All the neighborhoods I mentioned have charming homes. Mostly 1920s and craftsman types. Near Piedmont Ave adds in Victorians.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:34 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
If you're commuting into the City, I'd probably choose Piedmont. Generally, I think anywhere closer to where a BART station is (or near a casual carpool pickup location) nearby would be the best option.

I don't personally don't know much about the details of Piedmont, but I do want to mention that the town of Lafayette actually fits your needs....just thought I'd throw that out there in case you hadn't considered it or knew anything about it. It's just a little beyond Piedmont--housing in/around the same price point, large lots, easy BART and City access (25 minute ride to Financial District), very neighborly/welcoming/close knit, excellent schools, lots of trails/outdoor activities, etc. My kids are also mixed race, as are many of their friends--no problems whatsoever.

I don't have intimate experience with some of the towns in Marin, but I do know a family (Asian) that just moved to the East Bay because they "hated" Mil Valley. They were not happy with the schools and felt it was hard to make friends. Not sure of course if it was specific to them or an experience that many have.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,292 times
With money for private schools, and with sensitivity to exclusion, I'd forget Marin and go East Bay also. Top tier Oakland or Piedmont could be great. Or Berkeley, too. Top tier Berkeley craftsman homes? Pretty damn awesome, and probably a better buy per dollar compared to Mill Valley.

I'd look at private school accesibility - I"m not sure what's out there, although I know there is at least one great elementary to middle schools in Oakland (forgot the name). Something "....day".

In Marin you'd be isolated. I love marin, but I see it as an outpost, with its own eccentricities. Would love to be an old retired person there, hiking every day, etc. Or a wealthy layabout, doing funky West Marin things. But if I had to work every day and mix it up with the real world, I wouldn't do Marin. (Yeah, I do have to work.)

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
If you're commuting into the City, I'd probably choose Piedmont. Generally, I think anywhere closer to where a BART station is (or near a casual carpool pickup location) nearby would be the best option.

I don't personally don't know much about the details of Piedmont, but I do want to mention that the town of Lafayette actually fits your needs....just thought I'd throw that out there in case you hadn't considered it or knew anything about it. It's just a little beyond Piedmont--housing in/around the same price point, large lots, easy BART and City access (25 minute ride to Financial District), very neighborly/welcoming/close knit, excellent schools, lots of trails/outdoor activities, etc. My kids are also mixed race, as are many of their friends--no problems whatsoever.

I don't have intimate experience with some of the towns in Marin, but I do know a family (Asian) that just moved to the East Bay because they "hated" Mil Valley. They were not happy with the schools and felt it was hard to make friends. Not sure of course if it was specific to them or an experience that many have.
One other thing, broad brush, "good Asian food" and "Marin" are not to be used in the same sentence.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
One other thing, broad brush, "good Asian food" and "Marin" are not to be used in the same sentence.
Actually, Mill Valley had a very nice Chinese restaurant until a few years ago. The owners moved to a different part of the North Bay. But why do you mention Asian food, anyway?

Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
I would look more closely into all these assumptions about Marin. I have lived in northern Marin (San Rafael, Novato) for many years, and find it to be friendly, open, interesting and beautiful. I can't speak with authority concerning minority relations, but my church is completely integrated, and my family has no problem with mixed race families. The county does seem to be gradually getting less white. There are good private schools in Marin. Public schools are mixed, so you have to look into the individual schools. There are most certainly areas in Marin that are home to very privileged, insular people (I would not generalize, but I have run across some of that in Mill Valley.) Personally, even if I had the money to buy in, I would stay out of the truly "upper crust" areas. I believe that in those areas (mostly southern and SE Marin,) you might feel isolated. But that is by no means all of Marin. I have nothing against Piedmont, however. Good luck in finding the right place.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrepreneursf View Post

As a result we are considering a move out to Marin - Mill Valley, Larkspur, Corte Madera, San Anselmo, Ross or Kentfield and are also considering Piedmont.

Our ideal town has the following characteristics:

1) Close knit community - neighbors know each other and are welcoming
2) Great schools - either private or public, our daughter currently goes to private
3) Place where are kids would feel comfortable and proud of their heritage - I remember growing up in Texas and being made fun of for the way I looked and the foods I ate.
4) Short commute to work - 20 min or less (one way). Life is too short to be spent sitting in traffic
5) Walkable & bike friendly - coffee shops, restaurants, cafes. Love that about where we live now, we mainly go to Union & Fillmore.
6) Close to outdoor activities - avid runner and cyclist (road mainly). I love the cycling in Marin, love the redwoods and winding roads. I haven't cycled in East Bay yet but have heard there's good cycling there as well. I'd like to be able to run out of the front door of my house and be able to go for a nice 6 mile run too.
I would avoid Piedmont because I would never buy a home right on top of the overdue "tectonic time bomb" Hayward fault.

I would avoid Marin because I do not like the traffic on 101 which is the only viable route in many cases. Also for a good Asian grocery store you would either have to come back to SF or go to the 99 Ranch in Richmond.

I would look in San Carlos. It has a great little downtown plus it is close to many other interesting downtowns like San Mateo, Redwood City and Palo Alto. It is also close enough to great Asian food in San Mateo and Millbrae. San Carlos is also near many beautiful hiking areas in the coastal mountains.

Purisima Creek Redwoods Preserve | Preserves

http://bahiker.com/southbayhikes/portola.html

Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,757 times
Default Mill Vally

No place is totally the same.
Mill Valley is different. It's everything you stated you desire. Fairfax may be a good second choice.

But San Carlos is also good. That section of the Peninsula can be a little more private. WONDERFUL place to live ... but not exactly "small town." (And you're never going to get, "small town" in the East Bay.)
But then again, Albany ... towards the hills... maybe worth looking into.

I'd say Palo Alto and south of it are where you'd best find everything you want.
Mill Valley First Place
Palo Alto area/and south of it, Second (winner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland