Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times

Advertisements

Traffic to SF or SV from those towns is absolutely terrible at rush hour. The towns you chose are all very nice. And hence, expensive to super-expensive. Check maps.google.com directions feature for traffic times. Check out housing prices on zillow, redfin, trulia, etc.

I am from the East Coast. If you're open and friendly, even just a little, you'll fit in fine culturally. It just can take time - it always does, no matter where you move to.

Sonik, without giving us info on what your likely salary is - or whether you have *a lot* of cash in the bank, I would have to conclude that this is move is a borderline fantasy if you have a family. If you're single (why would you choose those suburbs if you are single) it still may not be a good move .

With a family, without the big cushion or a very highly paid and stable job, well over 250k household income, it is highly risky to move a family when one is exposed to high costs and potential job loss. The economic situation here is not necessarily going to be stable over the next few years. It is also colossally expensive to live in areas here with good public schools; you can't cheap out and still live East Coast middle to upper middle class standards by stepping down.....the steps are steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 AM

425 posts, read 647,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonik555 View Post
The reason for the move is primary weather, more outdoorsy lifestyle, beautiful landscape and, slower and calmer lifestyle.
The reason for comparing to Southern California is because I am pretty open to different areas and like different areas for different reasons, thus, wanted to hear any comparisons from people that actually live there.

If those are your reasons to moving to California then I would say SoCal is a much better fit than NorCal...some of your points are arguable which is better N s S, but coming from the East people usually associate "weather" = warm and "calmer" = laid back...both of which SoCal has NorCal beat.

NorCal has all the tech/biotech job growth...from a pure jobs perspective I think that region will always be a hub of innovation.....but it's killing most regular folk to live there affordably coming from outside the area. SoCal (ie LA area) is a "little" bit more affordable but doesn't have the same industry...basically if you aren't in entertainment, or a high priced lawyer or doctor, well paying jobs are more spread out....and in SoCal commuting is a nightmare because of the traffic with limited public transportation (getting better but still way too sprawly). Another option is San Diego which I am not that familiar with but it's fairly different than LA.

I left SoCal due to my career...NorCal has much better career opportunities...and when I got there I quickly realized that the cost of living was just a crusher unless you have 2 high paying working spouses and even then, it's a rat race....so I moved back to Boston which by coincidence happened to be the other major hub for my career and was more affordable...basically I can afford a nice 3000sq ft house in a great suburb within ~1 hour of work...I just can't do it in NorCal.

If I had a choice I would have stayed in SoCal. It was an amazing experience. I hope to make it back there later in life.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonik555 View Post
thank you for your responses and information.
I know my question is somewhat vague. I am just trying to get any extra first hand information as I am planning another trip before definitively starting job search next year.
The reason for the move is primary weather, more outdoorsy lifestyle, beautiful landscape and, slower and calmer lifestyle.
The reason for comparing to Southern California is because I am pretty open to different areas and like different areas for different reasons, thus, wanted to hear any comparisons from people that actually live there.
Hken, If you don't mind me asking the reason for moving back to Boston? personal or job related?
Thank you once again.
JOBS? SALARY? Are you intentionally ignoring peoples questions on that topic? Cant believe people write paragraphs about this stuff without knowing if the op can afford the region!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
JOBS? SALARY? Are you intentionally ignoring peoples questions on that topic? Cant believe people write paragraphs about this stuff without knowing if the op can afford the region!
Considering all the bickering you see on this forum about salary, COL, jobs, etc.. if I was the OP I'd probably avoid answering that too if they don't really need or want any advice on it. I don't know what it is that makes sticking to the OP's inquiries so hard on this forum.

What's your salary OP? What is your future career trajectory and possible future salary? Do you have kids? What if you want 1 kid and you have triplets? Do you work in tech? What if you have health problems? Does your family have health problems because what if you get cancer? Are you going to max out your 401K contributions? Without knowing any of this there is absolutely no way we can provide advice on those 4 cities you inquired about!! Tell us your deepest darkest secrets OP! We need this pertinent information to answer your questions! There is absolutely no way you can research or figure out salaries and jobs without City-Data forumers advice!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Considering all the bickering you see on this forum about salary, COL, jobs, etc.. if I was the OP I'd probably avoid answering that too if they don't really need or want any advice on it. I don't know what it is that makes sticking to the OP's inquiries so hard on this forum.

What's your salary OP? What is your future career trajectory and possible future salary? Do you have kids? What if you want 1 kid and you have triplets? Do you work in tech? What if you have health problems? Does your family have health problems because what if you get cancer? Are you going to max out your 401K contributions? Without knowing any of this there is absolutely no way we can provide advice on those 4 cities you inquired about!! Tell us your deepest darkest secrets OP! We need this pertinent information to answer your questions! There is absolutely no way you can research or figure out salaries and jobs without City-Data forumers advice!
Makes sense - but many people here are driven to provide good, thorough advice. And because we're all strangers here, we can be much more direct than we would to people we actually know. Which means the advice can be way more valuable. Life saving, even.

So, so many people, when pushed a little bit, reveal that their pay and career situation and expectations are a terrible match for moving to one of the very most expensive and competitive regions in the USA. They have ideas that might have made sense 20 or 30 years ago that are far out of touch today.

It's good for reality to be put in front of them. They are free to say, "we don't have money issues" and that will dismiss that. There are plenty of threads like that.

Tough advice could save a sensitive dreamer a ton of anguish, and they could make a smarter decision.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Makes sense - but many people here are driven to provide good, thorough advice. And because we're all strangers here, we can be much more direct than we would to people we actually know. Which means the advice can be way more valuable. Life saving, even.

So, so many people, when pushed a little bit, reveal that their pay and career situation and expectations are a terrible match for moving to one of the very most expensive and competitive regions in the USA. They have ideas that might have made sense 20 or 30 years ago that are far out of touch today.

It's good for reality to be put in front of them. They are free to say, "we don't have money issues" and that will dismiss that. There are plenty of threads like that.

Tough advice could save a sensitive dreamer a ton of anguish, and they could make a smarter decision.
This might be true if everyone had similar experiences, values, and opinions which is certainly not the case. Some of you are so dramatic about everything when it comes to COL, salary, jobs, commutes and you seem to pat yourself on the back for scaring away potential residents. People know what their finances are like and what they can afford for housing and how to look up the cost of housing, so if they're not asking then they likely don't need your advice on it. It's like you guys think they lack that mental capability to figure that stuff out.

I try to stick to what the OP is asking and if they ask some more and need more detail then by all means provide what you can. Lately it seems some of you go into such detail about rather simple inquiries. I feel bad for all the single people asking about moving here; "what's your 5 year plan? 10 year plan? You getting married? Kids? etc.." You guys are worse than their mother's. But I guess your saving lives! lol

Old 03-17-2016, 12:17 PM

38 posts, read 39,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Thank you so much I don't think I could have said it any better.
I think those things are completely irrelavent when it comes to questions that were asked.
I have done some research picked the towns and just wanted to know some opinions of the local residents. I am not asking for a financial advisor.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM

That's right, we are "sort of" saving lives. And we're having fun. If we're polite about it, and you don't like what we write, ignore it or confront it. Being more specific is the best.

I think plenty of people need to learn a lot about how hard it is here before making a life changing move. If you're 22 and have no consequences, cool. Say so, and people won't get into other stuff.

Constantly we see people write in with questions that are implying a bigger question - "is this place right for me?" And the only answer is a complex one. I can type in a complex answer in 1 minute. Or, we could spend many more minutes with back and forth.

BTW, if one is not from here, or NYC, or some other expensive place, and is not rich, you cannot know what it is like re: costs. It should absolutely be said. Financial pressure is part of the fabric of life here. If you live here and pressure is NOT present for you, then you're either rich or got your house here years ago. And don't know what is going on for people today.

And with the most basic of questions, and they need help. How many people do not know that you can use maps.google.com directions feature for commute times, for example? Tons. So many people don't know what craigslist is, either.

So much of this is communication styles. If you omit something, it's as easy for responders to assume that you don't know it as it is that you do.

Sonik, I can tell you much more re: culture and differences if you ask specific culture questions. Others will chime in, too.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Lol, ok Chuck. We thank you for your public service you provide here on City-Data with all the unsolicited advice on topics the OP was never inquiring about. You should keep a "Chuck's List" for all the lives you saved.

Pretty sure you can't really tell the OP much more aside from cultural differences considering you've never actually lived in the East Bay let alone the area the OP is asking about.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Sav858, so you want to go one on one here and throw insults? Let's go, man. You'd lose, or you'd never admit that you lost.

I've never lived in the East Bay. I've only spend tens and tens of hours there with friends and overnights. I've spent tons of time all over the Bay Area. I get out and get around. I think my observations prove I'm not making crap up when I talk aboout how, say, there aren't a ton of great restaurants in Danville, or how many cool bars there are in Jack London or Rockridge. Yep, from experience. How much do you get around nowadays? I'm betting "not much."

I do this for fun when I have free moments. I'm betting you're retired, and clueless about what's going on with people today -but convinced that you do. I'm getting that from your posts.

News flash - I do not literally think I am saving anyone's life. I am having fun here. I'd love to battle further. Go ahead and make another guess about who I am, what I know, etc. Take your best (weak) shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland