Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Gotta a NYer tough guy here. Watch out.

Tens and Tens of hours? Haha, you're actually serious aren't you? You have never lived in this area, it's not the same at all. I've seen the stuff you post about the area I live in and you're completely clueless and think a Google search makes you an expert. Yeah I'm sure you "getting out" beats my 16 years of experience living along the 680 corridor.

I'm 33, just bought a house last July, 2.5 year old twins. Grew up in the East Bay, have lived here as an single adult, and now with a family. You're a renter from NY and live in Palo Alto and how long have you even lived in the Bay Area exactly?

You probably think I'm "clueless" because you seemed convinced you have a clue what living in the East Bay is like. Funny how that works.

As a side note, this is why natives can get so irritated with some transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Dude I know what I don't know. And I'd be happy to be corrected on something anytime. I've been here since 2003. Spent a ton of time in the East Bay, just like I said. All over. When I had free time, I used to actually drive around to check places out. I've hung with natives and transplants. We can debate all day what "knowing" really means. I guess since you're a native you are the oracle of the East Bay. Ok, cool. Show us some of that knowledge.

You've made a lot of accusations, but with no proof or citations. (Maybe you should look for some Fox News forums somewhere? Just an idea!)

Anyone reading this can go read my old posts, and see if they think I'm clueless or not. If you think I'm stupid, that's OK.
I don't know why you're so tripped out about people expressing opinions that don't coincide with yours. You can debate. Or you can ignore.

I rent in Palo Alto, used to live in SF too. I know Marin really well, too. Have family there. Spent many days viisiting and hanging out in different places, just like in the East Bay. Yup, not making any of this up. I have known a few native East Bay folks to be weirdly prejudiced against the Peninsula. I don't feel that way, I love the East Bay. More traffic than I'd like, but I could see living there in the future.

Please go ahead and cite a specific instance of something that I said is strange or factually incorrect. And let's debate your differing opinion if you can't contradict with facts. If you want, do a separate thread and use the poll feature. Would love to see you try to get me. This is fun child's play. Go for it!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Um I did already and actually answered what the OP was specifically asking about: //www.city-data.com/forum/43378677-post10.html

But please elaborate some more about your Google searched "traffic" knowledge. I wasn't saying I was anything of the East Bay, just simply pointed out how you've never lived here then you go on some rant about how much experience you have with it, how I don't get around, and am clueless with whats going on, etc.. Then now you backtrack after you realize what a fool you look like.

Proof or citations? This isn't a dissertation here. Yet look at all the stuff you just accused me of; being retired, doesn't know what's going on, etc.. Do you realize how hypocritical that sounds.

Great then maybe give advice on Marin and SF. Since you don't seem to know what it's like living in the East Bay you may actually be costing people their lives with your Google searched expertise. Think about that! You might have blood on your hands Chuck! BLOOD! lol

Well lets see, off the top of my head your dumb incorrect comments about living and commuting from Concord to SF. Another one was the price of homes here with in-law units. I'm sure I could find more but not going to actually waste my time going through your post history as its clearly not important.

Dude you're ridiculous, you already made yourself look completely clueless about the East Bay and you want to continue to do so? Calm down and do yourself and the OP a favor, maybe answer their questions or inquiries. Here you will probably need this: www.google.com/

Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Um I did already and actually answered what the OP was specifically asking about: //www.city-data.com/forum/43378677-post10.html

But please elaborate some more about your Google searched "traffic" knowledge. I wasn't saying I was anything of the East Bay, just simply pointed out how you've never lived here then you go on some rant about how much experience you have with it, how I don't get around, and am clueless with whats going on, etc.. Then now you backtrack after you realize what a fool you look like.

Proof or citations? This isn't a dissertation here. Yet look at all the stuff you just accused me of; being retired, doesn't know what's going on, etc.. Do you realize how hypocritical that sounds.

Great then maybe give advice on Marin and SF. Since you don't seem to know what it's like living in the East Bay you may actually be costing people their lives with your Google searched expertise. Think about that! You might have blood on your hands Chuck! BLOOD! lol

Well lets see, off the top of my head your dumb incorrect comments about living and commuting from Concord to SF. Another one was the price of homes here with in-law units. I'm sure I could find more but not going to actually waste my time going through your post history as its clearly not important.

Dude you're ridiculous, you already made yourself look completely clueless about the East Bay and you want to continue to do so? Calm down and do yourself and the OP a favor, maybe answer their questions or inquiries. Here you will probably need this: www.google.com/
You're totally right. But you said the same kind of stuff. Easy to go overboard, but easy to provoke. I mean, you've basically called me stupid. I don't think you're stupid. I may not agree with you, let's deal with that instead of name calling.

In the end, I'm no more ridiculous than you are. I think both of us are having a perverse kind of fun here. We could use our real names and act with civility, but this is the Internet.

So what is the standard for saying something about commuting from Concord? Is Google Maps' data worthless? Hard to dispute data. Is my personal experience driving to and from Walnut Creek and SF for a project a few years ago totally invalid? Does one have to actually live in Concord to answer that question?

You didn't tell me the specific citation about commuting from concord. Tell me specifically what I said, do a cut and paste.

In law units? I vaguely remember a post a long time ago. I was looking at home purchase options in the East Bay myself at that time, and I might have extrapolated based on town, sq footage and lot size and what I saw in the listings. I'm pretty thorough on real estate research. What did I say?

Would you have given a better answer, and why? Because you've lived in every town in the East Bay? Or read every sale listing every day every year? What's the standard for a better answer?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM

Not sure where you think I basically called you stupid. Maybe the "clueless" part?

You simply overestimated how long it takes to commute. No Google Maps is not worthless but that's all you have, not actual experience doing it. And yes that does make a difference. You can answer any damn question you want with Google, but so can anyone else. I feel people on here want experiences from actual current or former residents of whatever areas they are inquiring about. You think a Google search can provide the same thing as that?

You gotta a keyboard, you want the specific posts then search your own history. Again it's not that important and while I may be ridiculous overall you seem to be taking it to another level with this citation/cut and paste crap. Just accept the fact that you aren't an expert on every nook of the Bay Area because Google is your BFF.

You overestimated how much homes with in-law units costs.

I did give a better answer and yes because I live in the area. Do you really think you know just as much about what it is like to live along the 680 corridor because you know how to use Google? Please keep going so everyone can see what they're dealing with when you give "advice" lol.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:18 PM

And to the OP, my apologies for taking part in completely derailing your thread with bickering that I was complaining about.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:19 PM

I'm asking for citations because I don't believe you, or I believe you are exaggerating. I overestimated? By how much?

Without proof, you're not acting in good faith here. You're going off of memory and are pissed off at me, which could color your memory. You might be confusing me with someone else, too. Or you might be obsessed with dethroning me from my place in the imaginary Hall of the East Bay Mountain Kings temple. I don't know why anyone would think that way, but hey, good times.

I don't buy that your advice is better from any single town that you did NOT live in. Period. Doesn't matter to me that you know 680 by heart. Every town has its approaches to the freeway. You have lived a few places, but have you lived in all of them? E.g. If you've never lived in Blackhawk, then your opinions on time are no better than mine.

I *totally* and fully accept that there are many limits to my knowledge and I even so did before this argument. I actually remember that this is a forum and it's up to people to engage each other, not get passive-agressively ticked that THEIR answer is not respected as The One.

If you want to argue with Google's Traffic Data, then there is a job in Mountain View for you. And you will then be able to get a truly kick ass house in the East Bay.

I don't care if I'm the recognized expert on the 680 corridor or not - what I say is easily checked. Readers can use the content here to confirm with their own research.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
And to the OP, my apologies for taking part in completely derailing your thread with bickering that I was complaining about.
Yes, me too - you should ignore everything I say, because I don't know what I'm talking about . Everything I say is a lie. And I might be lying.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I'm asking for citations because I don't believe you, or I believe you are exaggerating. I overestimated? By how much?

Without proof, you're not acting in good faith here. You're going off of memory and are pissed off at me, which could color your memory. You might be confusing me with someone else, too. Or you might be obsessed with dethroning me from my place in the imaginary Hall of the East Bay Mountain Kings temple. I don't know why anyone would think that way, but hey, good times.

I don't buy that your advice is better from any single town that you did NOT live in. Period. Doesn't matter to me that you know 680 by heart. Every town has its approaches to the freeway. You have lived a few places, but have you lived in all of them? E.g. If you've never lived in Blackhawk, then your opinions on time are no better than mine.

I *totally* and fully accept that there are many limits to my knowledge and I even so did before this argument. I actually remember that this is a forum and it's up to people to engage each other, not get passive-agressively ticked that THEIR answer is not respected as The One.

If you want to argue with Google's Traffic Data, then there is a job in Mountain View for you. And you will then be able to get a truly kick ass house in the East Bay.

I don't care if I'm the recognized expert on the 680 corridor or not - what I say is easily checked. Readers can use the content here to confirm with their own research.
Hmm I guess it was the same thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ng-mother.html

I wasn't claiming to be an expert on cities I've never lived. But I guess it doesn't make a difference that I've spent a lot more time in these towns and likely know a lot more people in them as well? You live in Palo Alto, how much time do you really think you spend in the area compared to someone that lives there?

For the third time all I did was point out you've never lived in the area and then you went into a little tirade about all your experience while questioning mine. So don't try to turn around and pretend I was acting like the "Oracle" or "Mountain King" of the East Bay. And I was only defending myself as you called my comparative experience into question, my more detailed posts about the area speak for themselves.

You certainly do seem to care, very much so. Guess threads about living in the Peninsula, SF, or Marin are a little slow lately?

Old 03-17-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm I guess it was the same thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ng-mother.html

I wasn't claiming to be an expert on cities I've never lived. But I guess it doesn't make a difference that I've spent a lot more time in these towns and likely know a lot more people in them as well? You live in Palo Alto, how much time do you really think you spend in the area compared to someone that lives there?

For the third time all I did was point out you've never lived in the area and then you went into a little tirade about all your experience while questioning mine. So don't try to turn around and pretend I was acting like the "Oracle" or "Mountain King" of the East Bay. And I was only defending myself as you called my comparative experience into question, my more detailed posts about the area speak for themselves.

You certainly do seem to care, very much so. Guess threads about living in the Peninsula, SF, or Marin are a little slow lately?
Heck yeah, fewer threads here because the East Bay is the last bastion of slightly-affordable-to the-already semi-wealthy value!! And probably because SV types are overly research oriented and don't need to go to city-data to get opinions (although some do)

And if I were King, I'd have real rail or significant bus transport from the East Bay to SV, and a few billion for expanded BART. And your house would be a lot more valuable. And I'd move in next door.

Look, I don't think my experience is invalid, and I think yours is valid, too. Degrees are debateable, no point in going deeper. ("I have 8 friends." "Well, I have 14 friends.....") I think I know enough to offer comments, and I certainly would defer to a local on issues of local culture.

Commuting is quantifiable, so that's a lot easier for an "outsider", as are home prices - they can be looked up. If I said something like, "there are not that many inlaws" - well, that can be verified. If I said, you won't easily find an inlaw w/3/2 house in X town for 700k after bidding and there were 2 or 3 or zero on the MLS, then I think that's an OK statement to make. Doesn't matter if I'm a local or not. (Just making that up, I didn't go find the thread)

We're going to disagree on some things, but maybe only on the margins. This is like one of those arguments between hardcore Sanders and Clinton fans. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland