Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I noticed the races / ethnic groups dont intermingle much, everybody stays with their group

in smaller towns people tend to intermingle more with each other, even if they are not from the same ethnic group

the more crowded or bigger the city the more people only socialize with their own people / peer group.

If I were to say hello to another person and they found out I wasnt from their ethnic group they might not be so friendly or want to talk.
In my experience community size has no relationship to how much different groups intermingle.

But their are some cultural norms where people tend to say hi to their own ethnic group more. This sums it up really well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Zn4NCsP9Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
In SF, there's just so many people crowded and so little personal space, that I think people just want to preserve as much personal space as possible. That and you can't possibly say hi to everyone you pass, so people just decide not to bother altogether.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I'm originally from the south, where everyone says hello to everyone.

Some people here say hello back here, but most seem to start the scurry-away-from-you dance or just stare at you like you cussed out their mum or are about to rob them. You can literally see the fear in their eyes.

This is a serious question, but is there a high level of autism in the Bay Area?

Why are people just so unfriendly?
Because they're from Seattle. ( j/k, but not really....) In most of the Bay Area, it used to be normal to say hello to people, to be neighborly. It was, and still is with some people, normal to share a chat and a laugh while waiting in line at the cashier stand. I can only assume that people who aren't comfortable with that are transplants from elsewhere.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times
The reason why?. You are living in the United States. One of the first things a euro ex pat like me notices when living here is the true lack of friendliness , nay just everyday common courtesy shown by many americans. Almost like you have a small group of pretty normal socially competent individuals, nothing extraordinary by european standards. Then you have that group of embattled souls caught up in their own private wars with an element of paranoia and social impairment that goes along with developing viewpoints some will consider ready to die for. Are all americans in this category of the above. No. Just enough to make us all worry at some point for their own safety and the safety of others.

Sad day when a casual hello on most American streets is construed as a potential threat or opening up a pandoras box of possible meanings. The hyper analysis that goes into an innocent hello is quite amazing.

Safe to say, many americans do not trust something as simple as a hello to a stranger. There has to be something else going on there. Nothing can be that simple , can it ?. We can't show too much niceness or kindness. That's only for the weak and the wimpy.

Last edited by scirocco; 04-04-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 07:16 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The people there were VERY friendly
Yep. IMO, one of the best things about Texas.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda on the other hard is different. It really feels like I'm living in a city full of oddballs that are from another planet. The social norms around here are very hard to understand.

I had to chuckle at this. You don't know the half of it. I'm a Lamorinda native. Unless you plan to live there for a long time and feel you need to figure out this puzzle in order to have a fulfilling life while living there, I wouldn't bother/would suggest not wasting your time. You might not end up liking your conclusions.

Last fall, I got into a conversation with two baristas at a new Starbucks here in Texas about Starbucks in different areas. I was explaining Peet's and the difference in attitude/perspective, IMO, between garden variety Starbucks customers and garden variety Peet's customers. One of the baristas said he agreed completely, adding "and I just spent the entire summer in the Bay Area living with my uncle in Orinda". His uncle is a "Peet's person".

Old 04-05-2016, 09:10 AM

83 posts, read 77,912 times
People who inhabit cities or other larger metro areas fall out of the small-town, hello-to-everybody habit because it is unsustainable.

Try doing that in Times Square and you'll get what I mean real fast.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
People who inhabit cities or other larger metro areas fall out of the small-town, hello-to-everybody habit because it is unsustainable.

Hello-to-everybody....no.
Exchanging smiles, opening doors, random conversations in general stores, Starbucks, Panera Bread, bookstores, etc......yes....at least in the Houston metro.

Quote:
Try doing that in Times Square and you'll get what I mean real fast.

I have to agree with that .

Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most people say hi back to me. But yes, initiating a hello isn't part of the culture of CA.
It is where I live in the foothills. Eye contact and a smile too!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Hasn't been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland