Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
It was meant more as sort of a funny kind of humblebrag. Remember it was many years ago as she stated.
Nothing to "brag" about a 40k salary in SF. It was just after the recession hit actually (SF was still expensive then) and a lot of my friends thought you had to take what you could get. Now I see we were just shortchanging ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
According to the Census 26% of households in the SJ MSA and 22% in the SF MSA make $150K+.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
OK, but that's HOUSEHOLDS. It's cute that people are openly bragging about making upwards of six figures, but not everyone is. Not even close. Some of you need to get out more and interact with people outside your industry.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:40 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I realize that, I was trying to show that the majority, or even close to a majority, of households don't even make that which would indicate there are even less individuals making that.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
yeah that wasn't directed at you, it was more meant for people ITT assuming 150k is the new normal. talk about out of touch...

Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
OK, but that's HOUSEHOLDS. It's cute that people are openly bragging about making upwards of six figures, but not everyone is. Not even close. Some of you need to get out more and interact with people outside your industry.
But because some people on the internet claim to make 150 that must make it true!

Old 04-13-2016, 01:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
$100k is not just limited to tech salaries. I make more than this and I don't work at a tech company or do a technical function and I'm not in a management position. There are a lot of other industries where most people at those companies, except the entry-level, can make that salary and more.

So that's why I say, tech or not, $100k is a common enough salary around here. Not everyone makes this, but if you're a corporate professional I think it's easy to feel as if everyone does... because everyone in that circle probably does.
Common - sure. But "everyone" (the topic of this thread)? Definitely, definitely not.

It is not some "new normal".

Old 04-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Yes... let me be clear.... not 100% of the people in this area make $100k+ and I am not claiming they do. I also assume the OP doesn't literally mean, does every single adult make this much. His question was "is SF full of tech guys who make $100k" which I took to mean "do enough of them make that much that it would not seem uncommon." So my answer is it is common enough.

Geez, and I'm not bragging. Just trying to remind people that while highly paid tech employees make up a small portion of residents, many other industries will pay six figures too.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Yes... let me be clear.... not 100% of the people in this area make $100k+ and I am not claiming they do. I also assume the OP doesn't literally mean, does every single adult make this much. His question was "is SF full of tech guys who make $100k" which I took to mean "do enough of them make that much that it would not seem uncommon." So my answer is it is common enough.

Geez, and I'm not bragging. Just trying to remind people that while highly paid tech employees make up a small portion of residents, many other industries will pay six figures too.
Yes, common enough, in the sense that you probably know people that make >100k or even >150k (and depending on your social circle, perhaps the majority of the people you know are making >100k). Some of these people are in tech - some are not (I don't work in tech, but I work with a lot of people making $150k+).

My point is that it's not some new normal in the region, though. The median household income for even the wealthiest counties of the Bay Area is still well below 100k. That means that more than half of the households make below 100k (most well below). As Sav points out above, ~25% of households in the SJ and SF MSAs make >$150k. That number of people making that much money is nothing to sneeze at - but, again, that means that ~75% are below that (again, most being well below that).

If the question is "are there enough people in the Bay Area making more than 100k to have an effect on the region?" - and I think that's an obvious and resounding "yes". Especially in regards to housing. And I think that's what the OP is partly getting at.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 04-13-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Yes, common enough, in the sense that you probably know people that make >100k or even >150k (and depending on your social circle, perhaps the majority of the people you know are making >100k). Some of these people are in tech - some are not (I don't work in tech, but I work with a lot of people making $150k+.

My point is that it's not some new normal in the region, though. The median household income for even the wealthiest counties of the Bay Area is still well below 100k. That means that more than half of the households make below 100k (most well below). As Sav points out above, ~25% of households in the SJ and SF MSAs make >$150k. That's number of people making that much money is nothing to sneeze at - but, again, that means that ~75% are below that (again, most being well below that).

If the question is "are there enough people in the Bay Area making more than 100k to have an effect on the region?" - and I think that's an obvious and resounding "yes". Especially in regards to housing. And I think that's what the OP is partly getting at.
Yes I think this is a better way of saying what I was trying to... this is how I interpreted the OP's question. I think that's important for anyone thinking of relocating to this area to know, because the average rent or home price here isn't priced for the majority making less than $100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland