Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 PM

79 posts, read 214,717 times

Advertisements

Hello,I have checked out all the posts for those asking about a move to San Francisco, but they are over 6 years old. wondering if the info given is the same or not?We are considering a work transfer to the San Francisco area, we would like to rent a 2+ bedroom home in a safe, family friendly area. We have 1 child who is 13 and enjoy the outdoors and family activities. Our price range is between $3,000-$4,000 per month. My husband travels for work, so being near public transit is a non issue.Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 07:37 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMEGNA View Post
Hello,I have checked out all the posts for those asking about a move to San Francisco, but they are over 6 years old. wondering if the info given is the same or not?We are considering a work transfer to the San Francisco area, we would like to rent a 2+ bedroom home in a safe, family friendly area. We have 1 child who is 13 and enjoy the outdoors and family activities. Our price range is between $3,000-$4,000 per month. My husband travels for work, so being near public transit is a non issue.Thank you
Don't do it. You could live so much better with that money elsewhere. Here you'd be renting a 1 bedroom apartment in a mediocre neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
You may be overlooking something here: your child's future.

There are a lot of adults in their 20s still living at home here, even after finding a job:

More young adults living with parents, even after getting jobs - San Francisco Chronicle

$4k/month might get you what you're looking for here in the East Bay(Oakland and the surrounding areas).

It will not get you a house in SF. Not even close.

I would consider why you would want to move here. If you do not absolutely have to, I would run far, far away. It's not just housing that is expensive here. Everything is. Value for your dollar is non-existent here.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Yeah, up your budget or stay where you are. Or consider other options.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
There are many, many posts in the last year re: SF costs that are accurate. Confused as to how you missed them? Look at sfbay.craigslist.org for rentals. You should also know that in SF there is intense competition for rentals. Your budget is low by about 40 to 60%.

It is only somewhat less expensive to rent a house or apartment in a nicer town outside of SF. It is possible to rent on a budget in places like San Bruno, South San Francisco, Daly City, but they are a couple of steps down socio-economically and also in terms of amenities.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:27 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:

If being in a school district is important then the best bargain is the East Bay. The worst place is San Francisco where it uses a lottery system that many parents absolutely despise.

I suggest you check out Berkeley, Albany, Moraga, Walnut Creek, and Castro Valley. $3,000 - $4,000 should land you at least a two bedroom unit and maybe a three bedroom. All those places have BART stations.

On the west side of the bay, good schools are found in the Marin County and down the Peninsula starting around San Mateo. This side tends to be more expensive.

If schools are not an issue then you may want to check out the Richmond and Sunset in SF where a two bedroom can still be had in the high $3,000. They are very safe family oriented neighborhoods but some people find them boring. Most of SF is generally safe but money doesn't go very far in the city.

Check out the north side of Oakland (Montclair, Claremont, etc) if schools are not a concern.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 23,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
You may be overlooking something here: your child's future.

There are a lot of adults in their 20s still living at home here, even after finding a job:

More young adults living with parents, even after getting jobs - San Francisco Chronicle

$4k/month might get you what you're looking for here in the East Bay(Oakland and the surrounding areas).

It will not get you a house in SF. Not even close.

I would consider why you would want to move here. If you do not absolutely have to, I would run far, far away. It's not just housing that is expensive here. Everything is. Value for your dollar is non-existent here.
Totally agree. I moved here after college in 2000. The prices are so high. On everything. Rent/mortgage, taxes (sales tax alone is almost 10%), gas, food, insurance, etc. I have 4 kids and live in the East Bay 'burbs. I don't think we will stay long term. We're not setting our kids up for success by living in such an expensive, fast paced area. I think of college for them, as well as what kind of job they will need to be able to afford a house. It's just difficult. It's a lovely and fun place to visit. I wouldn't choose to live in the SF Bay Area knowing what I know now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland