Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:27 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The east side of South San Francisco is the bay area's best opportunity for a "Brickell" - it just needs a connection to BART. It even has the advantage of being closer to Google, Facebook, etc than San Francisco or Oakland.

A bunch of those are Genentech office parks, and other office parks. You're not going to get cities to tear down multi story office parks for high rise housing. And as others have said that is probably too close to the flight path to get any significant height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
The east side of South San Francisco is the bay area's best opportunity for a "Brickell" - it just needs a connection to BART. It even has the advantage of being closer to Google, Facebook, etc than San Francisco or Oakland.

There are many places where dense development could much more easily be done than in this part of SSF.

Not to mention the fact that that area of SSF is mostly built up with companies (I work for a Biotech company in that area), you'd also need to spend a lot of money building a BART line and Bay tube to even get the transit line you're talking about here...we're talking billions of dollars just to get this area ready for dense development that makes sense.

As it currently stands, that area is pretty far from decent transit (the Caltrain stop is pretty lacking - I use it daily)...and traffic would be a nightmare because of how the roads are with the bay and 101 there. So you'd want the transit line there first...

There are many more areas (brownfields, former bases (that need to be cleaned up), empty lots, parking lots, vacant buildings, etc.) that make more sense even if this area of SSF was empty...and it's not empty...

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickell

Brickell is a place in Miami where they took an area of run down single family homes and turned it into an area of massive density. What Bay Area cities do you see as a potential Brickell. Most likely either Emeryvile or Foster City.
Yeah, there's a place for the actual Brickell development in the cannery area of San Jose, just south of downtown along 8th st. to 10 st and between Martha and Alma. That would move the dial to drastically increase the housing supply for new employees in the area. Second area would be Coyote Valley. Wouldn't Coyote Valley be awesome if a bigger than Brickell would be built in this valley?

Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What is up with the explosion of bulldoze Oakland threads?
It never stops especially from those that only know what the media says.

In my short lifetime, Oakland has been counted out so many times I can't remember.

Find it ironic speaking to parents and grandparents with kids that now live in Oakland and they all say the same thing... we moved to Pleasanton, Danville, Moraga, Lafayette to get away...

As recent as 2012 many parts of Oakland were going for next to nothing... now look.

By the way... I live in Oakland and owned a Caterpillar D3 Dozer for 17 years and sold it... nothing here to Bulldoze.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:41 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It never stops especially from those that only know what the media says.

In my short lifetime, Oakland has been counted out so many times I can't remember.

Find it ironic speaking to parents and grandparents with kids that now live in Oakland and they all say the same thing... we moved to Pleasanton, Danville, Moraga, Lafayette to get away...

As recent as 2012 many parts of Oakland were going for next to nothing... now look.

By the way... I live in Oakland and owned a Caterpillar D3 Dozer for 17 years and sold it... nothing here to Bulldoze.
I see more potential in Vallejo. Especially if the elite people return

Old 05-07-2016, 08:18 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yeah, there's a place for the actual Brickell development in the cannery area of San Jose, just south of downtown along 8th st. to 10 st and between Martha and Alma. That would move the dial to drastically increase the housing supply for new employees in the area. Second area would be Coyote Valley. Wouldn't Coyote Valley be awesome if a bigger than Brickell would be built in this valley?
Coyote Valley is scenic wilderness. Better to focus on brownfields.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
A bunch of those are Genentech office parks, and other office parks. You're not going to get cities to tear down multi story office parks for high rise housing. And as others have said that is probably too close to the flight path to get any significant height.
I looked over the area on google maps. Even though the area is near the airport it's not directly facing the runways. There are already a few hotels that are around 10 stories. I see potential in the distant future.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Downtown Oakland should in many ways be the heart of the Bay Area. It's at the hub of the region geographically and from a transport perspective. Tons of surface lots can enable very high-density development in close proximity to BART and there's a wealth of historic architecture to complement newer development.

The issue is really that the area desperately needs better infrastructure, obviously the second Transbay Tube being a priority.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:46 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Downtown Oakland should in many ways be the heart of the Bay Area. It's at the hub of the region geographically and from a transport perspective. Tons of surface lots can enable very high-density development in close proximity to BART and there's a wealth of historic architecture to complement newer development.

The issue is really that the area desperately needs better infrastructure, obviously the second Transbay Tube being a priority.
Hayward is the heart of the Bay.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:04 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickell

Brickell is a place in Miami where they took an area of run down single family homes and turned it into an area of massive density. What Bay Area cities do you see as a potential Brickell. Most likely either Emeryvile or Foster City.
I like Brickell (stayed at the Four Seasons there once). I think the Bay Area can use a little of the Miami flash, but doubt it'll ever happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland