Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:50 PM

40 posts, read 74,440 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
Been in Sacramento area for about a year and it's HORRIBLE. Bums, methheads, freelance scamsters, no good paying jobs, no will of the people to work. Some legit bad situations like a couple who is homeless but still working full time- Whatta COUNTRY!
My lease is up and and AirBnBing it.
Headed towards Bay Area.
All the job interest on Monster and Indeed I have gotten are in the Bay Area. I am single and salary around $50k/year. Obviously too expensive.
What are the livable areas within a half our drive (have a car) or near a Bart Park and Ride of either City Oakland or SF.
I am not opposed to renting a room from a sane low drama older couple or laid off worker. My budget is about 700/month MAX.
A good friend of mine pays $1200 for a subrent in downtown SF and considers himself lucky but lives like the Mahatma Ghandi.
Please advise! Thanks

Last edited by verve92; 05-01-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM

244 posts, read 180,962 times
San Leandro or Hayward come to mind as the cheaper places. Not too bad, not too good and with easy BART access to SF and Oakland. The Northern parts of both cities are better than the Southern parts.

Don't know about your $700 budget, though. The cheapest liveable one bedrooms start at $1700 or so. Split in half, that makes for $850.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
You are better off moving to a nicer area in Sacramento area. You are priced out of the nice areas to be frank. Try a different neighborhood. There are lots in the greater Sacramento area.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Hell at 700 a month he is priced out of the nice areas of Sacramento too.

You have to have some sort of other debt or bad habits to only have that much for rent on a 50k salary.

And if you are just plain cheap, than you should not be existing in California in the first place. Move to Las Vegas.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:02 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Modesto

Old 05-01-2016, 09:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Planada it has something for everyone

Old 05-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are better off moving to a nicer area in Sacramento area. You are priced out of the nice areas to be frank. Try a different neighborhood. There are lots in the greater Sacramento area.
I have tried. Roseville, Carmichael, Citrus Heights. Can't really afford my own place and don't like living alone. The pay is very low in Sacramento area for what few jobs I knew of. Being a NY and Philly guy. Too far from the action.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Hell at 700 a month he is priced out of the nice areas of Sacramento too.

You have to have some sort of other debt or bad habits to only have that much for rent on a 50k salary.

And if you are just plain cheap, than you should not be existing in California in the first place. Move to Las Vegas.
Student debt. I guess college a bad habit now. And I am kinda cheap. Wife just finished nursing school and also hates Sacramento.
Only one salary until she takes boards and finds a job.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:21 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
I have tried. Roseville, Carmichael, Citrus Heights. Can't really afford my own place and don't like living alone. The pay is very low in Sacramento area for what few jobs I knew of. Being a NY and Philly guy. Too far from the action.
With a salary of 50k is there anything you can do to squeeze more money out of that for a rental? If not you are going to be stuck with a room share, but there are some in the bay area in your price range. That might not be exactly what you want but I don't know what else to suggest rent is higher where salaries are high.

Small Sleeping Room (includes utilities!)

Room Available for Rent Immediately

large concord room includes utilities

Quality Rooms Near Del Norte Bart Station!

(there are others, I just listed a few to give you an idea)

Old 05-01-2016, 10:39 PM

One of the issues is she is back East living at home while she finishes school there. I came out here and have some time until she comes out here. Salary may seem decent, but after taxes and health care, not left with much. I just don't want to spend 75% of my income on housing and a 10 year old car that's been great so far. Also I will have to pay for commuting from a park and ride, plus insurance on the car-it's paid off thank god
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland