Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 AM

77 posts, read 202,486 times

Advertisements

We are choosing between millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, San Carlos and Belmont. We have two kids and are most concerned with their public education.
I'm a little worried about getting re-districted. Any information regarding this would be much appreciated. How accurate are the schools on the Mls listing sheet?

I've looked at great schools etc, but any other types of advice/opinions would be awesome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:53 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
I did some research on San Mateo schools last year (a likely next-city for us) and I remember that there were some crowding issues in elementary schools, where you might get bumped. Hopefully a current SM resident with kids in school will write in. Don't know if that persists in higher grades. It's a crappy problem in the Bay Area, which already has too few suburbs with good schools.

Note that in Belmont, most lots are on hills - so that affects your lifestyle (you get views, yay, although it's more remote from shopping, etc).

Millbrae has slightly cooler weather, and has a more strongly Asian population. Also a lot of hill properties.

My guess is that you would have the least problems in Burlingame. Otherwise, Burlingame is probably the most "polished" of all those cities, with San Carlos in 2nd place. RE: San Carlos, there is one blogger who I've followed for real estate info there: google it, it's the White Oaks blog. San Carlos, like Burlingame, is a very very hot market. Maybe hotter than Burlingame because it's closer to Silicon Valley jobs, and it gets 'first-look' spillover from people priced out of places like Menlo Park.

San Mateo has a very nice small northern section bordering Burlingame that is high end, forgot the name, but you'll see it. Then there are some pretty great properties off of Alameda de las Pulgas. Given your inferred budget (I'm guessing you're at a minimum of $2m) I don't think you'd want the properties close to downtown SM, so you'll be driving or biking.

If you are serious about prioritizing very close distance to a downtown strip, then you'll probably have to search among several towns, and not focus on one, because supply is so low. Assume you know about multiple bids and asking prices.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Foster City is another community which has an enrollment capacity issue for the local schools.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:02 AM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
How much are you looking to spend?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:21 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Millbrae – you are assigned to your local district school. If it is at capacity, you will be assigned to another school in the district that has openings. You should keep in mind that if you enroll early during the open registration period, there won’t be a problem and you will go to your local district school. Not being assigned to your local district school is something that mainly affects newcomers to the city who enroll late.

And once you are assigned to your local school you are assigned there permanently (i.e. no chance of getting bumped).

Burlingame – you are assigned to your local district school. If it is at capacity, you will be assigned to another school in the district that has openings. For quite a few years in the past they had ongoing problems with overinrollment (more students than room) and have had “early bird/late bird” starting times to compensate for this. The overcrowding problem may be solved - they re-purchased a school (Hoover) that they previously owned to help alleviate the overcrowding problem and the new elementary school (Hoover) will be opening Fall 2016. That should help a lot.

To look up school information, use the California Department of Education website (dataquest). DataQuest (CA Dept of Education)

Old 05-22-2016, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 26,299 times
Redwood City has a couple of new charter high schools that are among the most highly rated in California. If you like water and views, Redwood Shores is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland