Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you recommend me to go?
Visit family in Idaho 5 31.25%
Spend a few days in the Bay Area 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:20 PM

15 posts, read 13,229 times

Advertisements

Okay guys so this Labor Day weekend I can either spend 2 days in San fransisco or 2 visiting family in Idaho. I have only been to Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Boise, and Salt Lake City. I hear San Fransisco all the time, and see it a lot, and it is like a big huge city bigger than any I have ever visited so I think it would be cool to go there! But when I look at things to do I can't really find anything that look appealing. I mean the area looks VERY beautiful and I wouldn't mind going there just for that but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I would really like to see my family but I still think it would be cool to go to San Fransisco area. So far if I go there I really want to see the Golden Gate Bridge, spend some time downtown, go to like 3 view points, and spend some time a the beach. The museum of fine arts is cool too, then maybe a trip down to San Jose and see the Egyptian museum. I'll be there for about 2 and half days is there anything else I should/ shouldn't do? So I guess overall is it really worth going to the Bay Area? BTW this is for my 18 b day, and I'm going with my dad! Also I there an observation deck somewhere to get a great view besides coit tower, and twin peaks, like maybe a view from a skyscraper? Like here in Seattle you can go in our tallest building and get a really cool view!

Last edited by CityLover1998; 05-21-2016 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Check out San Francisco, you only live once!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 13,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Check out San Francisco, you only live once!
I am thinking that is what I will do!

I think I am going to spend 2 days in San fransisco, then is it possible to on my 3rd day drive to LA and just see Hollywood and Malibu then get back San fransisco Late at night, then the next day start heading back to Seattle? I know this will be a BUSY trip but I am not able to travel a lot, if I don't see it not I have NO idea when the next time I will be able to.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:52 PM

176 posts, read 255,455 times
SF isn't all that big, it's only 7 miles x 7 miles, it's smaller than Seattle.

It's about a 6-7 hr drive to LA, each way, your plan to drive down there and back is madness. You're only 18 you'll have plenty of time to give LA a proper visit.

The Egyptian museum is OK, but not worth the drive to San Jose. There is so much to do in SF just stay there.

You should go to Tripadvisor SF forum for travel advice on your SF visit.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...alifornia.html

Last edited by simboticus; 05-21-2016 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover1998 View Post

I think I am going to spend 2 days in San fransisco, then is it possible to on my 3rd day drive to LA and just see Hollywood and Malibu then get back San fransisco Late at night, then the next day start heading back to Seattle? I know this will be a BUSY trip but I am not able to travel a lot, if I don't see it not I have NO idea when the next time I will be able to.
thats a terrible idea on Labor day weekend, too much traffic! stay in the SF area

Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Too long a drive from SF to LA for the time you have. You're trying to pack too much in.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:

Hollywood and Malibu are outrageously over-hyped. Hollywood looks like a tourist trap with homeless people and tacky buildings. There are a million other coastal towns in the US and even California that look nicer than Malibu. If you were to go this route, I would recommend checking out Beverly Hills and Santa Monica.

The drive will take you about 6 hours each way. I wouldn't want to do it, but you could I guess. I once drove to LA from SF for just 1 night and I thought I was a bit crazy haha.

If you don't do it, check out Marin County, which is across the Golden Gate Bridge in SF. It's a very beautiful area, specifically Sausalito. You can also check out Mt Tamalpais. If you don't have a lot of time you can drive to the very top and it's only a 1 mile hike around the top of the mountain. The views are amazing!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM

505 posts, read 368,586 times
Quote:
Okay guys so this Labor Day weekend I can either spend 2 days in San fransisco or 2 visiting family in Idaho.
Labor Day weekend falls on Monday, September 5 2016.

Do you mean Memorial Day? That's the last weekend of this month (May).

Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM

238 posts, read 302,393 times
do not incude LA in this trip. too far and hollywood is really no big deal. lots of tourist walking around. i loved the Egyptian museum but agree that it is too far to drive down to SJ just for this. stick with city things and you will wish you had more than 2 days for seeing things.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
Labor Day weekend falls on Monday, September 5 2016.

Do you mean Memorial Day? That's the last weekend of this month (May).
Lol yeah! Sorry everyone I MEANT memorial weekend! It also my b-day weekend! I think I will go to Sausalito instead that is a much better idea! Thank you guys for your help!

I know this might be a weird question to ask but do I need to worry about snakes? I've looked at pictures of the mountain by Sausalito but I see lots of snakes, are they poisioness?

Also do you guys think the weather this weekend will be relatively sunny and hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland