Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:47 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
???Not sure how your comment relates to the article. There is no mention of VC money. Aren't you the one that complains about a lack of affordable housing? Here are homes sub 500K. You should be happy, yes?
I'm explaining why there's a bubble this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
... except that every house had bars on the windows and wrought iron fences and gates. Hard to imagine gentrification there.
Bars on windows are for protection from crime. Wrought iron fences and gates are a dubious aesthetic choice of California's Hispanic population. Iron fences and gates are fine when installed on Spanish bungalows and Mexican Rancho type homes. They are jarringly out of place when the home style is something different. They hold back home values and neighborhood improvement because they degrade its appearance.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Crazy. I think I would rather live in Richmond, but maybe my views are prejudiced from back when International was East 14th.
Many areas of Richmond are much better than the Deep East.

North Richmond and the Iron Triangle are tough but still a cake walk compared to the flatlands 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 100s of East Oakland.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:37 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Those look like nice houses on that block. They look like they could be quality older homes, with craftsman-like built-in features, inside. I know the type, from Berkeley neighborhoods. Gentrification in that area is probably inevitable. Depending on location (?), it's not far from the Mills/Millsmont area that gets a lot of promotion on RE sites. I could see the RE industry beginning a campaign aimed at selling that neighborhood, similar to the PR job they've done on the west Berkeley area bordering Oakland and south Emeryvillel, that's below Temescal. I forget what name they came up with to market that area (still higher crime, but of course, they're promoting it as an up-and-coming thing), but after seeing posts about it here, nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:49 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Yep... no shortage of demand and homes sell briskly which is a 180 from even 5 or 6 years ago when every block had boarded up foreclosures... no exaggeration and prices dipped below 100k on some.

East Oakland below 580 from the Lake to San Leandro has been "Discovered..." the buyers are of all races and many I have met are white or mixed race couples...

One of my neighbors is semi restoring his craftsman bungalow of the 1920's... found french doors as were original to the separation between living and dining, installed the swinging kitchen door he found under the house... and is really thrilled to own a home in the SF Bay Area with built in hutch, matchstick hardwood and a real honest to goodness fireplace.

Could it reach critical mass this time???

He bought his home from an African American family that bought in the 60's from the original white family that bought new... so almost 90 years and he is the third owner.

I knew the African american family well... thought one of the grand kids might take the house but no one wanted it... the family is spread out from Sacramento, Tracy to Los Angeles and just pleased as can be the home their parents paid 22k for sold As-Is for 440k as is...

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yep... no shortage of demand and homes sell briskly which is a 180 from even 5 or 6 years ago when every block had boarded up foreclosures... no exaggeration and prices dipped below 100k on some.

East Oakland below 580 from the Lake to San Leandro has been "Discovered..." the buyers are of all races and many I have met are white or mixed race couples...

One of my neighbors is semi restoring his craftsman bungalow of the 1920's... found french doors as were original to the separation between living and dining, installed the swinging kitchen door he found under the house... and is really thrilled to own a home in the SF Bay Area with built in hutch, matchstick hardwood and a real honest to goodness fireplace.

Could it reach critical mass this time???

He bought his home from an African American family that bought in the 60's from the original white family that bought new... so almost 90 years and he is the third owner.

I knew the African american family well... thought one of the grand kids might take the house but no one wanted it... the family is spread out from Sacramento, Tracy to Los Angeles and just pleased as can be the home their parents paid 22k for sold As-Is for 440k as is...
That sounds very overpriced for the 1920's, especially if it was just a 1-storey w/basement. Those were built to be cheap, and that wasn't cheap back then. Unless there was a pre-Depression Bay Area bubble, haha. But yeah, it's crazy to see what modest little post-WWI-type housing is going for now. I read that those Craftsman bungalows (I owned one in Seattle for awhile) were never intended to last this long. They were built as quickie-construction cheap housing for a certain era, and it was expected they'd get torn down and replaced after a few decades. Those were the shingle-exterior ones (LOTS of those in Seattle). The stucco ones, like in the photo, have a more solid look to them. Maybe there's a different story, there.

Back in the 50's, people tore out the built-ins, and the wood-paneling in the dining rooms, to "modernize" those bungalows. Kind of like how now, people are tearing out walls that separate a kitchen from the living/dining area (I hate that! ). There were several in my neighborhood, and when a new neighbor moved in, I'd see contractors re-installing the wood paneling, and restoring other vintage touches, as did I. Kind of crazy the cycles these older homes go through.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-26-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Yep... built in the pre-depression boom of the 1920's and rather well built too...

I own several and even though they are the same... they varied... roof line, bay window, etc...

With garage they sold new under 3k... I bought two from original owners and one had the original contract which reads earnest money paid TEN DOLLARS US GOLD

The builder sold with 10 year mortgages and the lady I bought took in a boarder and laundry so they wouldn't loose their home...

It was different time... she said the shame would have killed her loosing her home and as long as she had a breath it was not going to happen... no strategic defaults common then.

Those $2800 stucco homes are now pushing 600k which would make it about $550 square foot.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M27963-03054

Another popular home of the time is Mediterran Style and they are similar in price... but most call them Spanish Style today.

I would be remiss not mentioning what is called Story Book homes... almost had one but was outbid in probate... really the most charming home I ever came close to owning...

http://www.kathieberg.com/content/st...920s-and-1930s

http://www.estately.com/listings/inf...-drive#gallery

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-26-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Notice the nice high ceilings in those old stucco/craftsman homes. Does that one on realtor have a basement? Is that a decent neighborhood that one's in? I looked at the map. I'm not familiar with Lower Dimond district. Just curious. Typically, those had not only a dining room, but a spacious kitchen big enough for a breakfast table. You don't see that anymore, these days, except in very high-end homes.

Those Storybook homes really take the "tudor" style to new heights!

Old 08-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Notice the nice high ceilings in those old stucco/craftsman homes. Does that one on realtor have a basement? Is that a decent neighborhood that one's in? I looked at the map. I'm not familiar with Lower Dimond district. Just curious. Typically, those had not only a dining room, but a spacious kitchen big enough for a breakfast table. You don't see that anymore, these days, except in very high-end homes.

Those Storybook homes really take the "tudor" style to new heights!
No basement on the 2 bedroom models... the crawl space is spacious at about 42"

The 3 bedroom model had half flight to upstairs third bedroom and basement laundry room under the bedroom with a 6' 4" ceiling... guess people were shorter then?

These homes were built by McGreggor had a reputation for a quality home at a fair price... amazing how well they have lasted... I have pictures when mine was being built and there is a horse drawn wagon on the street and a Model T flatbed truck... 550k to 580k is about market price now...

I really enjoyed mine and it was bonus to have one unmolested... having bought from the original owner...

Oakland, San Leandro, Piedmont is well represented by story book homes... many built in the 1930's... and yes some are in deep east Oakland... a term I learned here on city-data.

Ruth... please go back and look at the price history of the home...

I knew the owners when it sold for 80k back in 1982 and it sold for 510k in 2007 and then 80k as a foreclosure... have often referred to this home when I said the real estate bust hit hard and 20 years of appreciation evaporated...

Old 08-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Oakland is constantly the whipping boy for the Bay Area...

Few know it has architectural gems and nearly the ideal climate and location...

Here is another Oakland Story Book home...

A Sweet Storybook Tudor Cottage in Oakland - Hooked on Houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland