Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I had a chance to buy a 1920s house on Kingsley Circle, just north of 51st st in 2009...50k. Just too scary crime wise. OTOH, I just zillowed my ex girlfriends 1924, 906 sf on a 4400 sf lot adjacent to MLK Junior high in Berkeley...now above a million for the first time, and would be worth more without the house or her. So land is over 200 PSF in 94703....below Shattuck. It was assessed at 170k in 1987, when her uncle left it to her.
I looked up Kingsley Circle. That is in East Oakland, right? 51st Street is in North Oakland. Regardless, has the crime issue gotten any better? Sounds like you got a good deal.

I live near Whole Foods and back in 2011/2012 we averaged 1-2 street robberies A DAY. Just checked the stats and there was 1 street robbery in the past MONTH!!!!!!!!! Looking at other months is similar. Not sure if the criminals have been arrested, displaced to other jurisdictions,murdered. It doesn't really matter I suppose. Well, as long as things keep improving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wrong link? I'm not getting a house photo, when I click on this.

This is a really fun thread, btw. Such a welcome respite from the usual bickering.
Yes.

Quote:
You're comparing the desert to the NorCal coastal and Bay environment? Surely, you jest...
This is teetering. Enjoy your Sunday.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Plenty of places in Nevada and Arizona that aren't deserts, and the Sonoran is the wettest on earth. Most east Bayer's never go to the beach, and more and more, those in SoCal avoid the obnoxious crowds, too. I grew up thinking I had to live near the coast, but you eventually figure it out, or stay poor. I liked Oakland for some things, many of which are gone...Genova Deli for one., but it is a horrible place to do business.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Wrong link? I'm not getting a house photo, when I click on this.

This is a really fun thread, btw. Such a welcome respite from the usual bickering.
Here is a link for the house off 106th ave in Oakland...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsmuir_House

The Gallery Link I provided is for the upcoming annual Art Deco event coming up at the home...

Who knew East Oakland had such a hidden gem?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I had a chance to buy a 1920s house on Kingsley Circle, just north of 51st st in 2009...50k. Just too scary crime wise. OTOH, I just zillowed my ex girlfriends 1924, 906 sf on a 4400 sf lot adjacent to MLK Junior high in Berkeley...now above a million for the first time, and would be worth more without the house or her. So land is over 200 PSF in 94703....below Shattuck. It was assessed at 170k in 1987, when her uncle left it to her.
Kingsley Circle is a completely different neighborhood than 51st St., which borders Rockridge, and is a nice area, not scary. A million+ for a tiny place by MLK Jr. High, or in any location, frankly, is insane.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
There was a small window, when the renters felt pretty smart, but they just get creamed in the long run. People, who think they are entitled to live and retire in the place they were born are in denial. Nevada isn't that bad.
I really experienced this at work around the break room... it was like mass think... about a dozen of my co-workers swore off ever owning again and were saying how smart it was to renting without any responsibilities for maintenance and upkeep and all the individual bills that come with ownership.

I pointed up the downside but nobody was having any of that...

Why is it when prices are at new highs... the same that shunned are trying to get on board when the same properties were languishing at a 1/3 the price 5 years back... each of them had the same job so it was not employment holding them back.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Here is a link for the house off 106th ave in Oakland...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsmuir_House

The Gallery Link I provided is for the upcoming annual Art Deco event coming up at the home...

Who knew East Oakland had such a hidden gem?
Needless to say, Oakland used to be a very different place. Especially back in the 1800's, when that house was built. Berkeley, also, has stately Victorians that used to have 1/2 acre-1 acre lots around them, now whittled down to a more standard-size lot, and turned into separate apartments. Times sure do change. Economies change. It says that house was acquired after the original owners' untimely deaths, by someone who used it as a summer home! Quite the summer cottage, no? I'm glad it's been preserved, though.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I looked up Kingsley Circle. That is in East Oakland, right? 51st Street is in North Oakland. Regardless, has the crime issue gotten any better? Sounds like you got a good deal.

I live near Whole Foods and back in 2011/2012 we averaged 1-2 street robberies A DAY. Just checked the stats and there was 1 street robbery in the past MONTH!!!!!!!!! Looking at other months is similar. Not sure if the criminals have been arrested, displaced to other jurisdictions,murdered. It doesn't really matter I suppose. Well, as long as things keep improving...
When I lived in Brookfield near 98th and Edes the crime was bad... if a home was vacant someone would break in to steal the water heater or snatch the windows to sell the aluminum frames for scrap...

One of three things happened to the gang bangers... they died or went to prison or found Jesus...

The family homes of the trouble makers were sold to new owner occupants and the culture slowly started to change...

Brookfield today is many times better and no comparison to what it was even 20 years ago...

No one would argue that Brookfield and Sobrante are the deepest of Deep East Oakland.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-27-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Needless to say, Oakland used to be a very different place. Especially back in the 1800's, when that house was built. Berkeley, also, has stately Victorians that used to have 1/2 acre-1 acre lots around them, now whittled down to a more standard-size lot, and turned into separate apartments. Times sure do change. Economies change. It says that house was acquired after the original owners' untimely deaths, by someone who used it as a summer home! Quite the summer cottage, no? I'm glad it's been preserved, though.
Oakland was the hub of transportation and manufacturing for the West and often called the Detroit of the West for the auto plants located in the city... General Motors was well represented and the original Peterbilt factory was a stone's throw from the Dunsmuir house.

As kids we would wander through the grounds often... it was a magical place... then the movie Burnt Offerings came out and it made us think twice as the place was processed in the Betty Davis film...

Five generations of my family have called Oakland home... with most living on going to school in East Oakland... Maxwell, Marshall, Frick, Freemont and O'Dowd...

Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland was the hub of transportation and manufacturing for the West and often called the Detroit of the West for the auto plants located in the city... General Motors was well represented and the original Peterbilt factory was a stone's throw from the Dunsmuir house.

As kids we would wander through the grounds often... it was a magical place... then the movie Burnt Offerings came out and it made us think twice as the place was processed in the Betty Davis film...

Five generations of my family have called Oakland home... with most living on going to school in East Oakland... Maxwell, Marshall, Frick, Freemont and O'Dowd...
I heard about O'Dowd; they used to make kids march around and do military drill routines during recess. Seems like a strange thing to have Catholic boys do. But that was actually surprisingly common in a certain era. I assume they don't do that anymore...?

The Bay Area lineage of my family arrived in the East Bay after the earthquake/fire in SF, which was a pretty common thing; heads of household would send their families to Berkeley/Oakland, as SF worked on cleaning up and rebuilding. That generation settled in Claremont, and subsequent gens. stayed in that neighborhood, much of which bordered on Oakland/Rockridge, so the families had a choice of both Berkeley and Oakland schools. So, technically, I'm not only a Berkeley-ite, but an Oaklander from way back. The line went through our backyard. The Oakland side was more rural, and some families had farm animals when I was a kid. Their kids had little donkey carts to ride around in. Of course, we were always envious of that, as Berkeley didn't allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland