Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 AM

118 posts, read 141,454 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am currently in the US Army and am planning to relocate to the Bay Area. I will be out in November and will start school in the spring semester. Unfortunately I went to a for profit school prior to the army so my degree isn't worth anything so I will start back at community college with my GI Bill. Out of the schools in that area I want to attend Skyline College in San Bruno. I am still a bit early but I have been looking at apartments in San Bruno, San Mateo, and Burlingame. Rentals appear to be the same prices, are there any other cities with a short, easy commute to San Bruno with rent around $2100-$2200? I will receive a monthly housing allowance of $3800 as long as I am in school full time but it will be for 9 months out of the year( I will have to save while paying rent so i can pay the other three months). I will also be in the reserves in the area but that's less than $300 for a weekend per month. I am a California native but my girlfriend is here with me and she lives here in Europe. She will eventually come to CA as well so I am looking for places in that price range with relatively low crime and a short distance to San Bruno if not in the city itself. My #1 concern is her safety but in the price range. Any information/opinions will be helpful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 02:05 AM

3,247 posts, read 6,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piffler View Post
Out of the schools in that area I want to attend Skyline College in San Bruno. I am still a bit early but I have been looking at apartments in San Bruno, San Mateo, and Burlingame. Rentals appear to be the same prices, are there any other cities with a short, easy commute to San Bruno with rent around $2100-$2200?
Also look at Pacifica, Daly City and South San Francisco.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:12 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
OP thank you for your service. US Navy submarines here, rank/rate STS3(SS). That's submarine sonar tech, paygrade E-4. Got out in 2003. Be sure you are looking at ROOMS for rent on craigslist. It is far cheaper than trying to afford a whole apartment to yourself (although that can be done too).

Here's $775/month in San Mateo.

Furnished bedroom, Family home

Here's the craigslist search (hopefully this link works)

SF bay area rooms for rent & shares available - craigslist

These silly civilians think you can only afford to live in an area if you can afford to buy a SFH...since you are in the military I know that living in a room in a house where others live won't be an issue. Just like living in the barracks on base.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
This one you live with a guy and a girl, both under 30 years old, I think that would be cool, if I could afford $975/month I would want it.

Room for rent in shared house

Old 06-04-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Also look at Pacifica, Daly City and South San Francisco.
Thank you. Checked all three out. Pacifica may be my new favorite

Old 06-04-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
OP thank you for your service. US Navy submarines here, rank/rate STS3(SS). That's submarine sonar tech, paygrade E-4. Got out in 2003. Be sure you are looking at ROOMS for rent on craigslist. It is far cheaper than trying to afford a whole apartment to yourself (although that can be done too).

Here's $775/month in San Mateo.

Furnished bedroom, Family home

Here's the craigslist search (hopefully this link works)

SF bay area rooms for rent & shares available - craigslist

These silly civilians think you can only afford to live in an area if you can afford to buy a SFH...since you are in the military I know that living in a room in a house where others live won't be an issue. Just like living in the barracks on base.
Hooah, thank you for your service as well. Thanks for the links, i think having a room mate would be a good option since i will likely be alone for about 6 months or so.It even gives me an opportunity to save, thanks for the information. I will keep my eyes on craigslist as an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland