Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:34 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times

Advertisements

Best article I've seen on this subject. It gets talked about here a lot so I thought it was worth posting

It's not a simple answer. I would add to the article that maintenance costs can be very, very steep, higher than the example in the article. I know somebody who needs to spend 40k on a new roof for 3 structures; it's a fairly big old house. 15k would be a dream for him. Moreover, natural disasters can also cause super expensive repairs, you can hit six figures easily.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/up...rent.html?_r=0

Last edited by Chuck5000; 06-06-2016 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 01:37 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Or you can buy a separate policy for earthquake coverage...

If you can afford a property, it's almost always the better choice if you plan to live in that area long-term. Home prices will go up over the long-run, with each payment you are building equity and eventually you will own it free and clear or sell it for a much higher price than you paid. If all you do is rent, 30 years later, you'll still have no equity.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Best article I've seen on this subject. It gets talked about here a lot so I thought it was worth posting

It's not a simple answer. I would add to the article that maintenance costs can be very, very steep, higher than the example in the article. I know somebody who needs to spend 40k on a new roof for 3 structures; it's a fairly big old house. 15k would be a dream for him. Moreover, natural disasters can also cause super expensive repairs, you can hit six figures easily.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/up...rent.html?_r=0
It's an intelligent article. A few things I would add.

They talk about the tax benefits of a house vs. a portfolio but they only compare those benefits to a portfolio in a regular taxable account, not one in a retirement account.

Also, the one thing I think that really matters is your housing costs as a total percentage of your gross income. If they get much about 25% of gross, your ability to save money is going to be compromised whether renting or owning and you're at greater risk of losing your house if you're stretching to buy one--as we saw in 2008.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM

677 posts, read 835,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

If you can afford a property, it's almost always the better choice if you plan to live in that area long-term. Home prices will go up over the long-run, with each payment you are building equity and eventually you will own it free and clear or sell it for a much higher price than you paid. If all you do is rent, 30 years later, you'll still have no equity.
But what if you bought a house in Detroit 30 years ago? I'd bet you can't sell it for more than you paid for it (inflation adjusted).

Old 06-06-2016, 03:30 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,081 times
Quote:

It's almost always better. Except when it isn't.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:46 PM

397 posts, read 364,252 times
Anybody here live on a boat? I feel like this is a reasonable alternative in terms of price...

Old 06-06-2016, 09:35 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But what if you bought a house in Detroit 30 years ago? I'd bet you can't sell it for more than you paid for it (inflation adjusted).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
It's almost always better. Except when it isn't.

If only the moderator could just put a sticky up so we wouldn't have to have half this forum filled up with people whining about housing prices on a daily basis. Surely there must be more going on in the Bay Area.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
I still bet you'd sell it for more than you paid and you wouldn't compare it to inflation, you'd compare it to your total rent expense.

How much rent would you have paid over 30 years?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
If you can afford a property, it's almost always the better choice if you plan to live in that area long-term.
Yes, but you still are not "priced out" if you cannot afford to buy. If people who make $10.15/hr can afford to live here, so can people who make $100k.

Quote:
Home prices will go up over the long-run, with each payment you are building equity and eventually you will own it free and clear
That doesn't mean you don't make any more payments related to housing, though. You still pay property taxes, you still pay for repairs, you still have to deal with maintenance etc.

Quote:
If all you do is rent, 30 years later, you'll still have no equity.
Who cares? If you can afford the rent, you're fine.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post

If only the moderator could just put a sticky up so we wouldn't have to have half this forum filled up with people whining about housing prices on a daily basis. Surely there must be more going on in the Bay Area.
No, man. Cost of living is one of the main topics in this type of forum, and the CoL is high here. Therefore it is the main thing we talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland