Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 05:12 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times

Advertisements

I sometimes listen on the TuneIn app.

I thought it is based in the Bay area. Now it seems it's more in the Sacramento area?

It's just that they were talking about temps in the 90s recently which the Bay area wasn't expecting but Sacramento was.

Just curious.

It's a major station, available on the AM dial throughout all of the Bay area? At night, does it penetrate hundreds of miles?

I can't get KGO AM on that app but maybe try iHeartRadio or radio.com? Is that a more influential or respected station locally? Maybe higher ratings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:53 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I sometimes listen on the TuneIn app.

I thought it is based in the Bay area. Now it seems it's more in the Sacramento area?

It's just that they were talking about temps in the 90s recently which the Bay area wasn't expecting but Sacramento was.

Just curious.

It's a major station, available on the AM dial throughout all of the Bay area? At night, does it penetrate hundreds of miles?

I can't get KGO AM on that app but maybe try iHeartRadio or radio.com? Is that a more influential or respected station locally? Maybe higher ratings?
We have microclimates. It's very common to have temps in the 60's at the bay,and 30 miles inland you're seeing 90's.

As to whether or not KCBS can go miles? I don't know, because there are lots of things that have to come together for that to happen. I can remember just once out here, the universe aligned just right, and I managed to tune in a very faint KDKA from Pittsburgh PA. Just for a few minutes...I had a slice of home...

KGO sucks so hard it isn't even funny. KCBS is all news.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
KCBS is SF based but its area of signal coverage includes a large chunk of NorCal (including Sacto). Same deal for KGO and a few others.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
AM radio reflects off the ionosphere, especially at night when the atmosphere is colder; this is known as "the skip signal". It works better along the same longitude; you can pick up KGO in Washington State quite easily (I did it in the Navy), but picking up an AM signal on the East Coast that originated on the West Coast would be rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave

KGO used to be a legendary station. They were #1 OVERALL -- not just talk radio -- in the Bay Area from 1978 until 2011 or so. That's when the new owners of the station decided young people wanted to listen to all news, so they laid off all the weekday talk show hosts except Ronn Owens. Recently, they decided that young people don't want local news, either, so they laid off the award winning KGO Radio News team.

Now they are slowly moving back to the newstalk format, but the coolest people from KGO are now 910 AM, which is trying to become the new KGO. With the exception of Ronn Owens; he is the last of the old KGO who is still on there.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
AM radio reflects off the ionosphere, especially at night when the atmosphere is colder; this is known as "the skip signal". It works better along the same longitude; you can pick up KGO in Washington State quite easily (I did it in the Navy), but picking up an AM signal on the East Coast that originated on the West Coast would be rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave

KGO used to be a legendary station. They were #1 OVERALL -- not just talk radio -- in the Bay Area from 1978 until 2011 or so. That's when the new owners of the station decided young people wanted to listen to all news, so they laid off all the weekday talk show hosts except Ronn Owens. Recently, they decided that young people don't want local news, either, so they laid off the award winning KGO Radio News team.

Now they are slowly moving back to the newstalk format, but the coolest people from KGO are now 910 AM, which is trying to become the new KGO. With the exception of Ronn Owens; he is the last of the old KGO who is still on there.
I like Gil Gross...but after that I go to either Bloomberg on 960, or KDOW 1220.

Regarding KDKA, interesting that this is a thing. One of the cats knocked the radio off the station, and my old radio (a bank giveaway freebie still in use today) doesn't have a lighted band, so at night, you either turn on the light and wake up the husband, or slowly roll the dial till you hit something, my choice. I rolled the dial slowly, and caught the familiar voice of Perry Marshall...then the caller had the Pittsburgh accent, and then it faded away...maybe 30 seconds, if that.

I tried every night after that for a few months, never happened again...

Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 PM

245 posts, read 608,047 times
I get KGO over the air in Carson City, NV.

Whatver happened to Karel, btw?

Multimedia Home of Charles Karel Bouley Progressive GLBT Entertainer

Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
He's one of the people that got booted because new management claimed that young listeners don't want to listen to local news or newstalk. He still does a radio show, though, over the internet. Oh I see you already had his web site.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:48 AM

191 posts, read 311,592 times
F(orget) Karel -- what happened to Dr. Bill Wattenburg?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
KCBS also covers the east bay, like Concord, Walnut Creek and the Tri-Valley area where the temps can easily get that high in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland