Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 02:07 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
It's unconscionable that you suggest a couple can uproot themselves to move to this area and actually live on $72,000 a year. That does not come anywhere close to paying for rent, basics, and a car. Unconscionable. What if this couple both give notice at work now, thinking they can come to the bay area and find housing later . When they actually get here to look for housing the reality hits and they realize they can't afford it. Now they are unemployed where they can afford to live and homeless where they have a job opportunity.

The same applies to anyone making a similar income who reads this and is considering moving here. You're setting them up to take a major fall. Not cool.

OP talk to your family in Pleasanton about your plans.
And yet, others on this thread have done so, including you. My post you quoted actually was suggesting they consider that their take-home pay will be significantly less, to factor that into their research, and to realize they'd barely be able to afford essentials; a suggestion that could result in their deciding not to move. My suggestion was actually more neutral and cautionary than yours, farther up the page. I should probably be the one to take you to task, though that isn't my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
"Affordable" is not a word you use with anywhere near San Rafael.
Affordable Rooms:

Big room available in great neighborhood

STUDIO: Private Entrance, Full Bath, Walkin Closet, VIEW, VIEW, VIEW

Dog welcome! sunny room with view of bay and large private bathroom

Affordable apartments:

Mt. Tam view, Hardwood Floors, Bayside Trail, Off St. Parking, Storage

Great LOCATION--sunny, walk to downtown

Affordable condos:

2 bedroom for 395k

2 bedroom for 495k

You were saying?

Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
500k affordable haha. That's half a Tyrannosaurus rex complete skeleton.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
500k affordable haha. That's half a Tyrannosaurus rex complete skeleton.
395k is not affordable? Zillow says on 70k you can afford 308k home. On 100k income you can afford 460k home. OP is just looking for an apartment, I listed some that are affordable. They make 6k per month so they have a lot of options.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
395k is not affordable? Zillow says on 70k you can afford 308k home. On 100k income you can afford 460k home.
100 is far above the median income for a whole family.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
100 is far above the median income for a whole family.
In Silicon Valley, the median household income is 100k. You're thinking of the median income nationally.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
In Silicon Valley, the median household income is 100k. You're thinking of the median income nationally.
Lol no it's not. It's like 80k. Go look it up chum
San Francisco California Household Income | Department of Numbers
Not everyone is a rich tech millionaire. It's a bubble

Old 06-17-2016, 02:36 PM

121 posts, read 142,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And yet, others on this thread have done so, including you. My post you quoted actually was suggesting they consider that their take-home pay will be significantly less, to factor that into their research, and to realize they'd barely be able to afford essentials; a suggestion that could result in their deciding not to move. My suggestion was actually more neutral and cautionary than yours, farther up the page. I should probably be the one to take you to task, though that isn't my style.
I did not realize they only made $6k when I first replied but I was clear not to move if they can't afford rents in Novato and San Rafael. The latter statement being made knowing the horrendous cost of housing and the competition for whats available. You said they can make it with "luck" (1 bed, car, and basics). Thats horrible advice, especially from someone who frequently comments on this forum. People who are looking to move here have a massive disconnect associated with the cost of living here. You're not doing anything to address that disconnect except to feeding it to grow larger.

I'll kiss and make up with you by saying I agree the couple making $72,000 can afford the 1 bedroom apartment if they share it with 2 or 3 other people. That would be a more accurate reflection of what actually happens.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
I did not realize they only made $6k when I first replied but I was clear not to move if they can't afford rents in Novato and San Rafael. The latter statement being made knowing the horrendous cost of housing and the competition for whats available.
Dude read my post above! A couple just needs a ROOM and those are VERY AFFORDABLE on 6k. An apartment is also very affordable on 6k in San Rafael. A one bedroom apartment is all you need for a couple.

This is a one bedroom for 1545/month in San Rafael. You can afford that if you make 6k per month.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/apa/5640475707.html

And yes, sharing an apartment with another person or couple counts as living in the area and not being priced out.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Lol no it's not. It's like 80k. Go look it up chum
San Francisco California Household Income | Department of Numbers
Not everyone is a rich tech millionaire. It's a bubble
That's SF not SJ. In any case, let's say it's 80k. Oh man that's poverty...sarcasm.

You can afford to rent a room in SF EASILY if you make 80k. There are many apartments you could afford as well. I mean 80k that's like what 6k per month? And the median rent for a one bedroom is like 2k? That's 1/3. Meaning it is affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland