Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 09:42 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,716,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Then why is it so hard for you to save it? It isn't pocket change for me. I made like 800 last month total. In my new job, it should be a steady 40 hours per week, so I should make closer to 1600 per month. Obviously, it is impossible for me to save 2000 per month. If you make that much, I applaud you. And you can definitely afford to live here. I can live here, so you definitely can.

Inflation.
I don't live. I exist.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 06-19-2016 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,061,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't live. I exist. I work 60 hours a week making nearly 50g. I save most of my take home and refuse to buy lunch for myself in the hope of even buying a lower class SFH.
Who cares about a sfh at 50k income? I would live like a king if I made what you make. Rent a room in downtown San Jose. Man that income would change my life.

Quote:
Im in the top 10% for millennials in net worth
Not sure about that if your income is 50k. The 10% of millennials probably work at Google making 150 or 200k.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
But I refuse to give up. I will strip every luxury from my life to save and fight against the techie hipster scum.
lol you need a higher income than what you have to buy a SFH in the Bay Area dude. What's wrong with renting a room?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,822,447 times
Quote:
How so? It has a rock climbing wall, lots of night life (although I'm not into that), a library, parks, the largest monopoly board in the world, art museums, a ballet, at least two different stages for live theater, at least two different movie theaters that I know of, lots of little restaurants and cafes.

Go Play - Downtown San Jose: Silicon Valley's City Center
San Jose is not on the list:

Charleston named No. 1 U.S. tourist destination for fourth year; No. 2 in world - Post and Courier

**i grew up in San Jose, when I was a kid no one went there because you would get shot. I visit about 1-2x a year. It has improved a lot but it is really boring for a "big city" downtown. I've been to the art museum, San Pedro square, seen a concert at the Arena, gone to the Rose Garden, the Tea garden, the Egyptian museum, the Winchester Mystery house. I've done just about everything there is to do in San Jose besides the tech museum, first Friday and bike party. The food scene is pretty boring. Good stuff is really spread out (San Jose is like LA in its vastness.). And downtown is pretty dead.

Quote:
Says the person who lives in Oakland. Have you been to downtown San Jose recently? Again, it's awesome. I love it and can't wait to move back.
Where I live in Oakland is way way way safer than downtown San Jose. I also live really close to Oakland's Michelin starred restaurant. In a 2 mile radius of my apartment there are at least 200 restaurants/cafes/eating places. There is quite a lot to do in Oakland (contrary to popular belief).

Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,716,005 times
Quote:
lol you need a higher income than what you have to buy a SFH in the Bay Area dude. What's wrong with renting a room?
Not true. I can invest in stocks and eventually my net worth will be high enough to buy a house.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 PM

397 posts, read 363,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't live. I exist.
I feel this way sometimes. Maybe all the time. I feel like life is a recorded video playing over and over again.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,485,600 times
Quote:
I don't know if you've got some great rent control situation but what I personally find wrong with renting a room forever is the unpredictable rent increases and unpredictable roommate turnover. That's why I personally want to put an end to all that madness and just own my home. And if I want extra money, I can rent out a room... nothing wrong with renting when you're the one renting it out.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:21 AM

478 posts, read 687,221 times
I don't agree with most of Perma Bear's posts, because he will ***** on anything that doesn't seem to be in the most desirable most expensive cities. I see he even craps on San Jose--where exactly do you want to live sir?

but i will defend his stand on saving for a SFH instead of a condo/townhome. You can't force someone to say who cares about SFH and why not just RENT A ROOM? really? what if someone has a significant other? how bout all your belongings what if you have a child--whether it be planned or unplanned. The only type of people I could see be ok on simply renting a room are college students or single folks. And as someone said even if you find something good now, it never seems permanent, esp if landlords want to exploit and milk it for as much as they can get. and just having to regularly move does not seem very ideal.

It's also a first for me to see Perma Bear actually share his income, and i will commend him for working hard and saving to try and get a SFH. which is what many in the bay area do or at least try to do. A lot are in that income bracket of 60K. But what's hard to do is save if you are still paying rent, esp the current going rent around the bay area. I understand it's doable if you still live with your parents or rent a room or something to keep the rent costs down to save. But not everyone can, esp if they have a child. I guess I can see a couple and their new baby renting a room to have maximize savings, but that is a very limited window until the child gets older and you will need another room which brings me to the next point. you get past that, will you be prepared to pay the mortgage for the SFH that seem to be anywhere from $600K for a small fixer upper or a nicer one in the 700-800K? Even with 20% down, mortgage and property tax will still be a huge chunk monthly. Or are people simply saving and saving until another crash? I would think the latter. What if the crash doesn't happen or if it does, it's not as low as one was expecting. There is also time, savings takes a while for some, trying to save 50K-100K which isn't even 20% on a 600K home, how long will that take and what age will you be.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
but i will defend his stand on saving for a SFH instead of a condo/townhome. You can't force someone to say who cares about SFH and why not just RENT A ROOM? really? what if someone has a significant other? how bout all your belongings what if you have a child
So the only type of housing with two bedrooms is a single family home? Please.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,596,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
I've been researching San Diego area and Southern California for years jobs ,crazy house prices, renting etc since we visited 3 years ago, which is where we wanted to live but our fields in education & nursing didn't pay as much and I didn't have a potential offer.

PAY / JOBS / SAVINGS/DEBT ----- I randomly applied to a few jobs in Bayarea and got calls quick, possibly might take a job when the school year starts in August $80,000 for 187days, Wife's a nurse looking at $50+ a hour, so around $100k working 3 days a week if she can find something by then. These are big raises from our pay in Houston area. We both have our masters so potential to move up if we stayed longer. We have about $60k in savings, and about $550 in monthly debt between the both of us. Wife can do travel nursing try to get contracts and get the housing aissatnce but we don't want to count on that.

US/ HOUSTON --- 28 & 30 Were super frugal, travel, love going to sporting by events college/professional. Houston area but the heat is really getting to us every summer & we've done everything here from shows, sporting events, Restaurants, visiting Galveston beach on weekends after that it's pretty much not much to do or see but work and look forward to the next vacation. Weather is brutal and hot so outdoor activities aren't big here even tho we still run and play basketball in the heat to excerise, but you can't wait to get back inside your AC car to get back home. Houston is still a great place especially if you never lived here before.

CALIIFORNIA ---- When we visit Southern California it's a different vibe with weather and things to do because it's all fresh to us. You can actually go to parks, beaches, walk around ride bikes, eat outside without worrying about the heat. Can drive to so many different other cities on weekend trips & even see more. However We've never been to the BAY AREA so would be moving there Without trying it out.

BAY AREA - it's brutal out there I see the home prices & rent prices and understand we won't be making much compared to everyone in the tech world, it's seems like right now is the highest it's ever been in history. We don't plan to even think about buying out there we know we couldn't afford, would maybe stay for a year or 2 and be on to our next location. We want to continue seeing new places, but actually live/work there VS just 4 day vacations.

QUESTIONS -

On $80k how much would I bring home a check with the state taxes ???

What's good areas to rent that aren't super far from MILPITAS, HAYWARD, FREMONT areas that could maybe be a deal at least safe, school districts aren't a issue.

Do we need to bring both our cars living in this area ???

Anyone travel nurse in BAYAREA, do they still pay those super high apartment rates during your contracts ?

Would you rent a condo, townhouse or APARTMENT in our situation ?

Anyone from Texas have advice and what are sporting event prices compared to Astros, rockets, Texans out here ??

-------

Anyone considering to move to Houston?? I will tell you anything you need to know... THANKS !!!!
I am so sorry that your thread was hijacked by a pointless argument!
To answer your question, live in Fremont, proper. I used to live there. Milpitas has a landfill problem (smells very bad) and Hayward.... I won't say anything else in case I offend some sensitive SJW. Let's just say you don't want to raise a family there.
Fremont has a great school district. PM me and I can recommend some good apartments in nice areas of Fremont. You'll pay roughly around $2400 for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom with laundry in unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland