Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 05:59 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,054,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You just called downtown San Jose not the ghetto? The tiny amount of credibility you have is gone now. I wouldn't walk down the street there after 10
Sounds like you should take some classes in martial arts. Be sure to go to a studio like the one I went to in high school, one where they spar a lot.

I don't feel remotely threatened in downtown San Jose. I lived there for a year. Of course, I am also a veteran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
You haven't seen the stock performance of apple recently. Successful my keister.
Its market capitalization is 522 BILLION DOLLARS.

Quote:
Also your Nevada land example is such a straw man that I saw it skip off into the distance with Dorothy.
It's cheap land. You can buy it and a manufactured home and have everything you're asking for. It's cheap because it is out in the middle of nowhere. San Jose is not out in the middle of nowhere, hence it is expensive.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:02 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sounds like you should take some classes in martial arts. Be sure to go to a studio like the one I went to in high school, one where they spar a lot.

I don't feel remotely threatened in downtown San Jose. I lived there for a year. Of course, I am also a veteran.
Martial arts won't beat a guy with a gun or knife. I'm not batman. You're in poverty so it wouldn't be worth their time to mug you

Last edited by Perma Bear; 06-18-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 06:03 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Its market capitalization is 522 BILLION DOLLARS.

It's cheap land. You can buy it and a manufactured home and have everything you're asking for. It's cheap because it is out in the middle of nowhere. San Jose is not out in the middle of nowhere, hence it is expensive.
Adjusted for inflation petrochina and standard oil were more valuable at one point. Companies hit the top all the time. You don't see Ohio being a massive economic powerhouse from standard oil.
You also have repressive heat. The major reasons housing is expensive here is the climate and the fact they refuse to build more tract homes on the Santa Cruz mountains and east bay hills. I bet you that's where 90% of the value comes from. Atlanta has the same economy and it's cheaper because the weather is crappier.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:24 PM

33,011 posts, read 12,284,936 times
Quote:
Well, you are obviously right wing.
So because I don't agree with the some of the nonsense that the State Assembly and State Senate, some county BOS, etc. have come up with, that makes me 'right wing'....umm..no. My views are far too liberal on some things to be virtually anyone's 'right winger'.

Quote:
California is run by the left wing. We prefer to live how we live over here.
Your simplistic use of 'left wing' and 'right wing' in this post shows that you have no appreciation for nuance. It isn't that simplistic, and you also don't even offer definitions of 'left wing' and 'right wing'.

Quote:
And Silicon Valley companies are massively successful; some of the most successful companies in the history of the world are based here.
Many of the founders of those companies were born and raised outside of California, and in those cases public entities within California don't deserve any of the credit for the upbringing of those individuals.

And which university has served as an incubator for more of those companies than any other?....Stanford University...a PRIVATE university that isn't run by a government entity. Venture capital is attracted to where the talent is. PRIVATE Stanford University has been and continues to be a nexus for that talent, and this symbiotic relationship has continued to build over the decades.

In many cases within California the PARENTS, not the government, deserve the credit for what their kids are able to do, nudging their kids to do their best, and (among other things) creating and contributing to....often very modestly....educational foundations that help their cities. I'm not a parent, but one of the things that is wrong with California, IMO, is that government entities take too much control over the raising of children away from their parents. Try jumping through the hoops of home schooling your children in California vs. the same in Texas.

The weather and the scenery in Silicon Valley don't hurt either. Government didn't create the climate, hills, trees, etc.

Quote:
Unlike you I agree with California's politics
Can you articulate why?

Quote:
I'm fine with renting a room in a shared apartment.
That's great. You don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself but, as another poster noted, 99% of the people your age wouldn't be. Also, the OP is married...he and his wife can't each be completely selfish re lifestyle.

Quote:
And again, anywhere in the world, it is more expensive to live in the developed city than it is out in the countryside.
Usually true, but many...if not most...would not consider quality suburbs to be 'out in the countryside'. Also, if urban dwellers didn't desire 'a small slice of countryside', city parks wouldn't exist.

Quote:
But personally I would much rather live in London than I would in Wales, and I would much rather live in San Jose than Podunk, Mississippi.
These two extremes aren't the only choices

Quote:
Obviously many other people agree with me, or the population of San Jose and San Francisco wouldn't be as high as they are.
Those are job centers. There are plenty of people who are only there to enhance their resumes and then plan to leave. One such person...who has no connection to me...has posted on this thread.

Quote:
Have fun out there in the middle of nowhere, rmesmh. I will stay here where it all happens.
LOL. With 1/3 of your limited income going toward rent, can you even afford a car to get out and experience even a modicum of the current 'where it all happens'? Or do public transportation options fulfill all of that?

I live in The Woodlands, and I wish it had more of what most people would consider a 'middle of nowhere' vibe. I'm probably under 10 miles from the Houston city limit, and The Woodlands Town Center is , IIRC, 27 miles from the center of Downtown Houston. The Woodlands is largely in Montgomery County, which was the 23rd fastest growing county in the U.S. (out of 3000 + counties) between 2000-2010. One of the few benefits of the population increase, IMO, is the demand for concerts at The Cynthia Woods Michell Pavilion in The Woodlands, one of the busiest outdoor pavilions in the world.

In your particular situation, you would be better off elsewhere in many respects, but that's great that you are happy .

Last edited by RMESMH; 06-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: corrected 1 keystroke

Old 06-18-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Martial arts won't beat a guy with a gun or knife.
Yes they will. At the range required to rob someone, they will. Within 21 feet or closer, martial arts and knives are equal to guns. That's why you sometimes hear about the police shooting someone who "just" had a knife. That person can easily close the distance and kill them before they fire, if the range is closer than 21 feet.

In any case, if you think downtown San Jose is dangerous you obviously haven't been there recently. I go through there often, going to and coming from work, sometimes late at night, and like I said, I used to live there. It's not dangerous.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My views are far too liberal on some things to be virtually anyone's 'right winger'. [...] It isn't that simplistic, and you also don't even offer definitions of 'left wing' and 'right wing'.
Dude your comments were the definition of right wing philosophy! Limited role of government, more local control, emphasis on the individual as a means to solve problems. That's a classic definition of right wing. I'm not suggesting you're some kind of extremist; you seem reasonable enough to me. My oldest friend, whom I met in middle school, is on the right also (he's moderate right also). But you're definitely right wing. So I can understand that someone who feels strongly about right wing philosophy would want to leave a state that is run by left wing politicians.

Quote:
Many of the founders of those companies were born and raised outside of California, and in those cases public entities within California don't deserve any of the credit for the upbringing of those individuals.
Huh? I guess some of them were founded by people coming from outside but that's not really the point. Silicon Valley is a unique region, and it is very successful economically.

Quote:
And which university has served as an incubator for more of those companies than any other?....Stanford University...a PRIVATE university that isn't run by a government entity.
Yeah, but the companies grew and thrived because of (or from your perspective, in spite of) local government policies and state government policies. Stanford is a great Silicon Valley institution, I agree. So is SJSU. UC Berkeley isn't in Silicon Valley but a lot of engineers in the valley went there, too. SJSU and UCB are public.

Quote:
Try jumping through the hoops of home schooling your children in California vs. the same in Texas.
Home schooling is lame. In theory it allows the parents to teach kids that evolution didn't happen, for example. Education should be standardized, based on passing standardized tests like SAT etc.

Quote:
The weather and the scenery in Silicon Valley don't hurt either. Government didn't create the climate, hills, trees, etc.
It's a small part. It is mostly the governmental and economic structure that incubates great companies here.

Quote:
Can you articulate why?
Why do I like California's policies/politics? I already explained it in the post to which you replied. I'm a moderate liberal. I favor a greater role of government and deriving solutions more from collectivism than individualism. However, I also believe capitalism is the only viable economic system. So California is my state and my home. Go live in Arizona if you want, I'm staying here where it all happens.

Quote:
That's great. You don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself but, as another poster noted, 99% of the people your age wouldn't be.
And yet, San Jose has a population of one million people. Obviously, there are many people of all ages who would prefer to live in an apartment or conodo in the city instead of a SFH in the country.

Quote:
Also, the OP is married...he and his wife can't each be completely selfish re lifestyle.
Again, many people raise families in condos and apartments in major cities, including Silicon Valley.

Quote:
With 2/3 of your limited income going toward rent,
I said 1/3. You shouldn't spend more than 33% of your income on housing.

Quote:
Or do public transportation options fulfill all of that?
Yes, they do.

Quote:
In your particular situation, you would be better off elsewhere in many respects
Huh? If I lived in the middle of nowhere, there would be fewer job options, no public transit, etc. Middle of nowhere is for people who already have good paying jobs who can go and spend some money on a SFH and a car to drive to and from their job in the big city. And of course people who can do that AND wish to do so. Many who are in a position to move to the countryside don't wish to do so. Many raise their families in the big city. Many don't.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
I stated the reasons in my first post, change of lifestyle try something new for a 1-2 years, I've done everything in Houston, want to try different cities, you never get time back, lived in Houston all my life, went to college 45 mins from Houston, it's a great city, just turned 30
Quite understandable. Experiencing different areas is one of the great pleasures in life.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Go for it, OP! You're poised to get the most out of Bay Area living. Very different environment than TX and the SW. Be sure to explore the redwood forests and the coastline & beaches. And Yosemite National Park! A must see!
Yep.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Yep, San Jose is now one of the world's great cities. Twenty years ago it was mostly apple orchards.
Yeah, it used to be mostly 'ag', but that was more than 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland