Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:11 PM

490 posts, read 837,694 times

Advertisements

I was around in '89 and remember clearly where I was at the time of the quake, as I'm sure many of you who were around at the time do, too. I was on an AC Transit bus that was stationary at a bus stop at the BART station and it felt like something had hit the bus and caused it to shake a bit. That's about the extent of it for me. My mother was at our house in San Pablo and said she felt the ground rolling beneath her.

I remember heading to Hilltop Mall and seeing on TV what actually happened.. looking in awe as I saw the collapsed portion of the bridge and all of the other damage the quake had caused.

Still, my personal experience with it was rather mild, so the fear wasn't there..

But I have worried ever since about when the next big one will come, especially in a place so population dense as the Bay Area with it's particular geographical features. I've felt small earthquakes since then and those were pretty scary already.. it leaves you kind of jittery and on alert for some days after.

Do you guys ever worry about the next big one? Enough so that it's one of the primary incentives for you to move elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Yeah. It was during my after work commute. My carpool from SF to San Leandro was already home and we missed most of the shaking since the car was in motion. We pulled over for a few minutes because we started bouncing and everyone else was pulling over too, that's how we found out about it. I had coworkers in SF who were effected by it, some living around the Marina District and friends who commuted via the bridge and were stuck behind the collapse. I worry WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT but to be honest I rarely do. I know it might be horrible but I haven't thought of moving because of it.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:44 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,705 times
1) Were you around for the big loma prieta earthquake in '89?
Yes.

2) do you worry about the next "big one"?
No.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:58 AM

45 posts, read 30,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
1) Were you around for the big loma prieta earthquake in '89?
Yes.

2) do you worry about the next "big one"?
No.
1.yes

2. no, I left the state

Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
I was here for it.

My only worries about the next major event are how other people might behave and how the media (especially the non local media) will hype and milk it to death.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
I was at a sheep auction in Donegal. People would ask where we were from and we'd answer "San Francisco". Then they'd start talking in their strong Irish accents about San Francisco and earthquakes. I thought it was charming that they were still thinking about the '06 quake when eventually another tourist was contacted by a relative and we realized that this was a NEW quake they were talking about;. There was only one pub with a TV so we gathered there for awhile but basically, we missed the whole thing.

Off-topic; While we were watching the auction I asked someone how they transported the sheep to home since I didn't see any wagons. Oh, in their cars, I was told. I didn't quite believe it. Just then a Toyota went by with a sheep in the back seat.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:25 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,734 times
Yup. I was a student at SFSU and living in the Richmond District. I was just leaving campus when it hit and Stonestown Galleria was being evacuated.

I don't really worry about the next one though.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,603 times
I was at Sears in San Jose and all the ceiling tiles were raining down. Customers and store personnel were huddled under counters. I went to the parking lot and witnessed the macadam rolling like ocean waves and the lamp posts were swaying.

I remember trying to watch TV at home between power outages and catching glimpses of the fallen bridge.

We moved to NC ten years later and I still remember anxiety attacks when heavy equipment was rolled down the hallway at work. It's hard to get over that feeling.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
I was eight months pregnant with my daughter on the third floor of my townhouse in the East Bay. When it began I ran to the top of the stairs and as I began running downstairs, the joists popped out of the stairwell wall. I flew down those stairs! My dishes all flew out of the cabinet and broke. All I could hear was breaking glass. My husband was working in Oakland and when I first heard about the Cypress structure, I began panicking terribly because he was still not home from work. I sat outside in the grass waiting, waiting, waiting. He came walking up around 7:30 WITH HIS FISHING POLE. He'd finished up early that day and had come home, grabbed his pole and went fishing. He felt the quake but had NO idea it was so big so he just kept fishing. LOL. We later found out that a high school friend of mine was in a truck that was crushed but survived with two broken legs.

I didn't sleep the rest of my pregnancy and was stressed out for about 3-4 months afterward. It really took a toll on me. When I left the Bay Area for Austin Texas my first thought was "no more worry about earthquakes ever again".

Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
I don't worry about the next earth quake. I do worry about the riots/looting that will follow when people run out of food and water in 2 days.

It is scary how ill prepared so many are. Just think how it is back east when they have a storm. People there get days of warning and people still are standing in line two days later trying to get a gallon of gas or case of water. Imagine what it would be like here with no warning. Most grocery stores have enough food for 3 days without being resuplied under normal buying conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland