Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,350,058 times

Advertisements

I really think people should just accept the fact that if we're ever going to solve the whole slough of problems that comes from population density issues is to go big and high. I mean really fricking big and really fricking high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcology

Start working towards these with a building a mile square and build it 30 stories high. 500 family sized apartments on each floor. We're capable of doing it in both tech and resources. It doesn't have to be self sufficient and fancy just efficient in purpose and utilization of resources.

You Californians are weird and frankly, no too freaking bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
There have been huge development just as you speak... housing projects and many have been demolished as abject failures.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 895,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I really think people should just accept the fact that if we're ever going to solve the whole slough of problems that comes from population density issues is to go big and high. I mean really fricking big and really fricking high.

Start working towards these with a building a mile square and build it 30 stories high. 500 family sized apartments on each floor. We're capable of doing it in both tech and resources. It doesn't have to be self sufficient and fancy just efficient in purpose and utilization of resources.

Yep, and a short term fix that solves nothing is apparently smarter.

Yet another one that just doesn't get it.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:47 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,490,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post

I think the real solution to the problem is population control and eugenics, but that seems to be a very touchy subject in liberal areas. The reality of the situation is often too much for many people and they'd rather stick their fingers in their ears and yell "lalalala".

Let's face it: the world is starting to have too many people.

I think the carrying capacity of the world is 10 billion. We're going to reach that number in many of our lifetimes. When millions of people start starving, it's going to make for a very ugly world. It's something we can avoid, humanely.

The current urban housing situation is just another example of a problem that could be solved by restricting reproduction.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:03 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,044,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There have been huge development just as you speak... housing projects and many have been demolished as abject failures.

That's not really what we're talking about. We're talking about condos designed to replace what would otherwise be a huge suburban neighborhood of SFHs. Market rate.

Although I agree that we should ALSO build some condo buildings for BMR, what we're talking about right now is market rate stuff, designed for people who make the median income in the area (which in San Jose is 100k).

It's good that more people other than myself are coming on here and speaking the truth, that we need denser housing in the Bay Area. We're never going to be able to put millions of people in SFHs in a finite area. You have to start building vertically and densely at some point.

People who want a SFH can go out in the middle of nowhere -- such as the desert in Nevada --and build one there. If you want to live in a big city, you have to accept that you're going to have a smaller living area.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:08 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Many were in the middle of nowhere and the city swallowed them up...

Most of the high density high rise projects are upper middle to luxury.

There are lots of issues that come with boxing people in and I speak from managing rentals...

I am no longer interested in managing complexes as the more people packed into smaller areas result in a compounding of problems...

Just how many people do you propose should live in SF property with limited imported water and earthquakes?

Old 06-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,044,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I think the real solution to the problem is population control and eugenics,
wtf?

Quote:
but that seems to be a very touchy subject in liberal areas.
Actually most people who subscribe to the evil ChildFree Philosophy are in fact left wing.

Quote:
Certainly not. In fact, many regions are already reproducing so slowly that they are below the replacement rate and will soon face a net loss of population.

Japan, for example, is rapidly approaching that point.

As U.S. birth rate drops, concern for the future mounts

Quote:
I think the carrying capacity of the world is 10 billion. We're going to reach that number in many of our lifetimes. When millions of people start starving, it's going to make for a very ugly world. It's something we can avoid, humanely.
Yeah, by using green power and green transportation, large scale desalination, and more efficient techniques for growing food, such as genetically modified crops.

And of course, we will spread the human population to Mars, various moons of the gas giants, and planets orbiting other stars. In the far future, more people will live elsewhere in the solar system and the galaxy than live on Earth.

There is definitely nothing humane or rational or ethical about forcing people not to have children. If humanity dies out, there will no sentient species protecting life on Earth and spreading it to other places.

Quote:
The current urban housing situation is just another example of a problem that could be solved by restricting reproduction.
Well, you could provide an example for the rest of us by eliminating your consumption of resources. Or you could be part of the ACTUAL solution, which is being smarter about how we consume resources.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:51 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,490,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
wtf?

Gibberish.
If you're disagreeing with something, chances are it's on the right track.

I would never expect a grown male who earns minimum wage and lives with 3 other adults in a small 1 bedroom apartment to understand world problems.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 PM

25 posts, read 19,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
If you're disagreeing with something, chances are it's on the right track.

I would never expect a grown male who earns minimum wage and lives with 3 other adults in a small 1 bedroom apartment to understand world problems.
If someone is agreeing with eugenics chances are s/he is a racist.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:51 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,350,058 times
Quote:
I think the real solution to the problem is population control and eugenics, but that seems to be a very touchy subject in liberal areas. The reality of the situation is often too much for many people and they'd rather stick their fingers in their ears and yell "lalalala".

You're way off the mark in a few places. Eugenics is just wrong for the species in this world.

If we were really smart as a species we could pack 20 to 40 billion people on this rock. You build up and you build deep. An Arcology is possible to build and it can be done on immense scales. We can live just below ground level and benefit from the open space created above us and the constant temps of living under the surface. We're so stuck in what we have now it will eventually kill us and this world.

We also need to stop killing one another and get off this planet. That too is doable this century.

Problem is half the population and all our leaders have the minds of reptiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland