Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yes, A professional diagnosis is required. Teachers are not allowed by law to diagnose children of their issues but can steer parents toward this.

I'm curious if your children attended school in Fremont? Do you have a child with ADD or other learning issue? I'm curious as to why you'd say that the "system doesn't work" as you live in another state altogether. Here is the process for the Fremont Unified School District which would be the same process for most.

Special Education / Welcome to Special Education
It's good to know there are resources for kids who have been diagnosed, at least. Hopefully this info will be helpful to the OP.

My brother had kids in the Fremont schools, and had to pull his son out for a year, because he wasn't reading by the sixth grade, and the school refused to do anything about it. I also had a friend teaching in one of the schools, who observed problems of this sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 03:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I don't think so. Some of us on the peninsula (like me) are very familiar with our schools here, but not of those across the bay. So if someone posts stating their husband is going to work in San Mateo, I would suggest areas here (on the peninsula) that meet their criteria, and would assume others who are familiar with schools/areas in other parts of the bay area would chime in with info on their area.
I am talking much much more generally (not just schools). Certain posters believe that the entire east bay is bad, dangerous, poor and all sorts of stereotypes!

For a very very long time the east bay has gotten a bad rap from Peninsula residents who haven't been there. (Many of my close friends grew up in the peninsula, and this is what they heard.)

Old 06-27-2016, 03:41 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am talking much much more generally (not just schools). Certain posters believe that the entire east bay is bad, dangerous, poor and all sorts of stereotypes!

For a very very long time the east bay has gotten a bad rap from Peninsula residents who haven't been there. (Many of my close friends grew up in the peninsula, and this is what they heard.)
Then they've lived a very sheltered life! I don't know anyone who believes that stereotype about the east bay. My goodness, the east bay is part of the bay area. People go back and forth across the bay all the time!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Then they've lived a very sheltered life! I don't know anyone who believes that stereotype about the east bay. My goodness, the east bay is part of the bay area. People go back and forth across the bay all the time!
You'd be surprised, some of those older residents never leave! My friends classmates seriously have lived in the Bay Area their whole lives and have been (meaning stopped as a destination) to the east bay, any city, only a handful of times! It is crazy to me! It is very very easy to get trapped in your neighborhood or county bubble.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:53 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
OP is apparently on the floor, convulsing.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:
You would be surprised... Even in NYC, many older folks who grew up in the area still look down on Brooklyn, even though the rents are higher than in Manhattan now! Those long-held beliefs are hard to shake.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,996 times
Belmont! We live in Belmont and really love it here. It is next door to San Mateo and the schools are very, very good. This is our 3rd school year here and my older daughter has an IEP (her original dx was childhood apraxia of speech, which has now resolved; she still qualifies due to ADHD, inattentive subtype). She just finished 7th grade and started here in 5th, so I can say that elementary and middle school experiences have been fantastic. Belmont is a lovely family community and its location mid-peninsula is fantastic.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisangel View Post
Hi there everyone,

We will be moving to the bay area in the fall from Houston, TX although we are originally from the UK. My husband has a great opportunity and we are very keen to make this work. He will be on a salary of 150k plus bonuses. Now, I know some may say this is too low for the area, but as I say, we are keen to make this work. We have three kids ages 10, 8 and 7 months. My 8 yr old has been identified as having dyslexia, so a good school district is very important.

Our lives ok b g requirements are similar to many, good schools, safe area, nice surroundings, and hubby is hoping for a commute up to an hour, but there's some wiggle room. I know we won't be looking at anything like the size or price of property of Texas, we are realistic about that, but we would like to aim for a 4 bed home. So, I'd love some recommendations on areas to start loo k ing at?

Thanks so much for any help you can give us!
Depending on your budget but I'd recommend Belmont, San Carlos, Foster City, Redwood Shores, and San Mateo Highlands.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You'd be surprised, some of those older residents never leave! My friends classmates seriously have lived in the Bay Area their whole lives and have been (meaning stopped as a destination) to the east bay, any city, only a handful of times! It is crazy to me! It is very very easy to get trapped in your neighborhood or county bubble.
Yeah, you're correct. I hear it from all sides of the region, too - plenty of people in SF (and to a lesser extent some people in the East Bay) know very little about the peninsula and think it's just endless boring suburbia. Which, is kind of true...but there are plenty of very nice centers of activity, and I always like to point out how some parts of the peninsula and East Bay are closer (travel time) to downtown SF than parts of SF are (which always generates interesting responses).

I've always found the balkanization of the Bay Area fascinating...and as someone who's very familiar with all of the subareas of the region, it's hard to relate to this thinking.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM

15 posts, read 27,695 times
Thank you for the information, it's much appreciated, if somewhat depressing! We were hoping to spend a max of $4500 on rent. 4 beds would be better due to the fact we have a lot of visitors, but ill take your advice on board and look at 3 bed also.

Son is officially diagnosed as dyslexic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland