Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 04:34 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,039,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
Why do feel like Im defending myself

Beth
You need to defend yourself because in most people's eyes you're making a stupid decision.

Like saying Gas attendants are biggest in Jersey, and you like being close to New York so you are going to move to Jersey to be a gas station attendant.

Teaching in SF is a joke. If you're a qualified professional with training who went to college and earning less than 60K a year- you're an absolute fool, OR... you feel this is a calling and are independently wealthy.

SF Teachers start at 58K, and end at 92K at 28 Years.
After union dues and taxes this is roughly
50K to 83K.

A manager at Chipotle makes more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You need to defend yourself because in most people's eyes you're making a stupid decision.

Like saying Gas attendants are biggest in Jersey, and you like being close to New York so you are going to move to Jersey to be a gas station attendant.

Teaching in SF is a joke. If you're a qualified professional with training who went to college and earning less than 60K a year- you're an absolute fool, OR... you feel this is a calling and are independently wealthy.

50K to 83K.

OR: door #3: you're 1/2 of a working couple, and your combined income will be in the low 6 figures.

Case closed.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 PM

10,292 posts, read 8,455,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
I just happen to run across this on Quora:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-so-bad-a...-migrating-out
Great read-thanks

Old 07-09-2016, 05:04 PM

10,292 posts, read 8,455,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
ParmaBear, we were offered to move to Ehrhardt SC near my husbands parents. House too. No thank you.

My bother offered me land to build a house in Jackson Ga. No thanks

My mother was born and raised in Atlanta.

I really, really detest the south, it is to repressive and racist. Hot, humid, traffic, your life is built around the traffic pattern of Atlanta.

Little Five Points is a gem, and no, no and no.

Nashville is no better. Tennessee, forget it. No South No way!

Oh wait, did you mean Southern California?
I'd say after all this if you are still willing to go for it-do so. The Bay Area is a nice place to live if you can afford it or have a lifestyle in your budget that you are happy with.
I lived all my life in the east bay, Hayward and Pleasanton.
I sold my place, was able to take the money and get close to $100K income stream from the proceeds, and moved to the Atlanta Area and retired.

I disagree on your assesment on the south when it comes to Atlanta. I do agree it's hot and humid. Yes traffic is bad- but so is the San Francisco Bay Area. So far I am happy with my new life here.

I think you have to at least give it a shot or it will bother you forever. The only thing I would consider is putting a fair amount of money aside so you are able to move elsewhere if it doesn't work out for you.

I do remember talking to a few investors who had a place up for rent. They had so many people who wanted it they pulled the ad and reposted it with a higher rent. They kept doing it until they reached the highest rent they could. They were amazed how many people applied with incomes $180K to $250K.

Good luck and I hope you do post when you arrive.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,045,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You guys are the stupid ones. You think you're entitled to a SFH in a dense, desirable place. Well, guess what. If a place is dense and desirable, it won't have many SFHs available. The ones that are available will be very expensive. It is true in every dense and desirable place in the world. Paris, New York, London, Toko. All have very high CoL.

I would live like a KING on the median salary in the Bay Area. I would live in an awesome room -- you can rent an apartment to yourself on the median but I like roommates -- drive a Tesla and spend a couple weeks abroad each year on vacation. Once a month I'd fly to Mexico or South America or something for the weekend.

I can get by on minimum wage, just barely. But I can afford my share of the rent.

If you can't, then downsize.

Quote:
Teaching in SF is a joke.
No, a joke is what anyone is who can't afford to live in the Bay Area on 100k.

Quote:
50K to 83K.

Managers at Chipotle only make like $20/hr. And they, apparently unlike you, can afford to live in the Bay Area on their salary.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:54 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,789,011 times
I doubt the Chipotle mgr benefits plan matches that of a SF teacher

Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,698,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You guys are the stupid ones. You think you're entitled to a SFH in a dense, desirable place. Well, guess what. If a place is dense and desirable, it won't have many SFHs available. The ones that are available will be very expensive. It is true in every dense and desirable place in the world. Paris, New York, London, Toko. All have very high CoL.

I would live like a KING on the median salary in the Bay Area. I would live in an awesome room -- you can rent an apartment to yourself on the median but I like roommates -- drive a Tesla and spend a couple weeks abroad each year on vacation. Once a month I'd fly to Mexico or South America or something for the weekend.

I can get by on minimum wage, just barely. But I can afford my share of the rent.

If you can't, then downsize.

No, a joke is what anyone is who can't afford to live in the Bay Area on 100k.

Managers at Chipotle only make like $20/hr. And they, apparently unlike you, can afford to live in the Bay Area on their salary.
Kings don't live in single bedrooms. Only clown princes do.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:56 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,045,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Kings don't live in single bedrooms.
I wouldn't have to on the median salary. I would choose to because I don't want to live alone.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:57 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,789,011 times
http://www.myhss.org/downloads/forms...GuideSFUSD.pdf

Old 07-09-2016, 05:58 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,698,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I wouldn't have to on the median salary. I would choose to because I don't want to live alone.
No matter how much you'd make I feel you'd be a clown prince. Especially with all the "advice" you give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland