U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:58 AM

59 posts, read 40,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Thankfully, you're not making those decisions.

Also, being outdoors-focused can mean lots of things, not necesarilly specific to our local openspace preserves. One can be into the outdoors by running/biking in our local city parks. Or on the other spectrum they could be into visiting frequently the many natural wonders our state has beyond the Bay Area. Here in the Bay Area we have a lot of people who are into outdoors activities in all of these places. And while one of our great treasures in the region is our local open space preserves (which aren't just for hiking/mountain biking in - there are strong ecological/environmental reasons for preserving them, not that I think you'd care about that), one can still be into nature even without their existence.

By the way, what I'm talking about are cultural differences between many other metros of the US and here, not quantity of open space in the Bay Area. Most western cities attract people who are far more into outdoors activities than major cities on the East Coast. It's one of my favorite things about living out here vs. other places I have lived. Which was what my response was meant to address.

You seem to understand exactly what this East Coast person is thinking about in terms of outdoor and nature activities. Thank you!

Last edited by Girlinacafe; 07-01-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Wow, thank you for this valuable information. I am in the process of getting my teaching credentials for CA, but the links provided are a great resource for me. Thank you again.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
More like the SF area is 3x or 4x as expensive.

This is a 640k home in Ridgewood. Wow! Incredibly cheap by SF standards. 2400 sq ft.

49 Boyce Place, Ridgewood, NJ For Sale | Trulia.com

Burlingame is a comparable suburb near SF. A 1.9 million home there is not as nice as the Ridgewood example.

482 Chatham Road, Burlingame, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

It is very strange and polarized because of the school choice lotto. The weird school assignment system provides a lot of business to private schools. There are some excellent magnet schools like Lowell High and some that perpetually rank 1/10 like Mission High.

As Parents Get More Choice, S.F. Schools Resegregate | San Francisco Public Press
I don't live in that area of RW. That is where all the Wall Street people live. I live near the town center. RW is nice, we can actually sleep with our doors unlocked or open...really we can.

We know moving out of this area would be a huge change. Even if we moved one or two towns over life would change and not for the better. RW is on par with Greenwich Conn.

California has a lot to offer, specifically SF. We are ready for the change, we know it will have its good and bad points, but the good outweigh the bad.

Thank you for your comments.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM

323 posts, read 649,945 times
I am a NY transplant who came here in 2008! My wife and I made it work. Our daughter is a school teacher and she has made it comfortably happen as well. Timing is everything prices were lower then, but I still feel that if you have the strong passion to move do not let practical circumstances change your mind. It may initially be a financial struggle for sure however if this is want you want to do I hope you two decide to take the plunge. Trust that it will work out in the end.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:29 AM

12,463 posts, read 7,339,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
We stay in the in Outer Sunset area when we visit SF, so I understand the weather and beach situation. That area is unlike anything we are used to, but we are willing to make concessions. I know SF has its issues, just like NYC where I was born. I wouldn't move back to NYC if you paid me. Not because of the high rents, but because of the people, they have morphed into something I don't recognize as a native New Yorker.

We are looking for something new, LA is not what we want at all. San Jose is a consideration. We are average people, who live an average life, we work hard and work a lot, so as a teacher I don't mind working all day then teaching night classes. My husband works all day and works side jobs. Moving to SF would change our quality of life, and the cost of living is almost the same from the area we currently live. I thank you for your insight.

Rent is cheaper in the Outer Sunset. I'm assuming your household will pull in around $130k - $150k a year. Since you didn't mention any kids, I'm guessing a one-bedroom is suffice. so around $2000 will get you into a unit in the Outer Sunset. That's not bad in terms of rent to income. Just note that the Sunset are mostly single family homes, so often these smaller 1 bedroom units are in-law units.

For more affordable options, you can also check out Excelsior, Visitation Valley, Crocker Amazon. There are also towns just outside of SF like Daly City, Brisbane, South San Francisco, Oakland, etc; whose rent is comparable (or cheaper) than the Outer Sunset.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:48 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,213,701 times
You have a reasonable expectation of what you'll get here so I think you'll be happy with what you find. If you like the Outer Sunset (assuming it's the fogginess, quietness and proximity to beach that draws you), try looking at Pacifica and Daly City also. You might particularly like Pacifica because it's right along the coast. You'd need a car to get around but those areas are considerably cheaper than in SF.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:59 AM

901 posts, read 974,144 times
Quote:
We stay in the in Outer Sunset area when we visit SF, so I understand the weather and beach situation. That area is unlike anything we are used to, but we are willing to make concessions. I know SF has its issues, just like NYC where I was born. I wouldn't move back to NYC if you paid me. Not because of the high rents, but because of the people, they have morphed into something I don't recognize as a native New Yorker.

We are looking for something new, LA is not what we want at all. San Jose is a consideration. We are average people, who live an average life, we work hard and work a lot, so as a teacher I don't mind working all day then teaching night classes. My husband works all day and works side jobs. Moving to SF would change our quality of life, and the cost of living is almost the same from the area we currently live. I thank you for your insight.
I really don't understand what you're saying here; I sense some "California dreaming" going on. I do not think that your quality of life will improve at all, except for the lack of very low winter temperatures and the occasional trip to a nature preserve. SF is being filled up with the same people as NYC (which I think is actually becoming better re: people, so we disagree on that).

Overall I think the bad is going to outweigh the good, unless you heavily weigh those two above things AND will earn 150k+ between the two of you, or if you already have substantial savings/family wealth.

However, since you don't have kids, the stakes are pretty low right now. Having kids in the Bay Area dramatically raises the stakes financially even from the level that we're already talking about in this thread.

Go look on sfbay.craigslist.org and see how much rentals cost. The landlord will take 10 or more applications, and probably choose the one with the highest income. You will have to get lucky.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,256,549 times
Quote:
RW is nice, we can actually sleep with our doors unlocked or open...really we can.
Don't try that in SF. According to the city-data crime stats, San Francisco is more dangerous than Paterson with a crime index of 461.5 vs. 416.6 for Paterson. Even Passaic is a major upgrade in safety over SF and is much safer with a crime index of only 268.8.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Jersey.html

Old 07-01-2016, 12:44 PM

1,156 posts, read 752,355 times
Quote:

I'm just an average man, with an average life, I work from 9 to 5, hey hell, I've paid the price, all I want to be is left alone in my average home....Sorry, couldn't resist. Don't listen to all the negativity here. People are so mobile nowadays and you can find a teaching job anywhere. If SF is what you want, then go for it. I also recommend Daly City and Pacifica. I love Pacifica, but mainly because the only thing I dislike about living in SF is no beach. It is extremely foggy, more so than SoCal beaches.

Enjoy, it can be done, especially with no kids and you have a minimum of 6 years before you have to think about schools if you are going to have kids. One thing Chuck is right on, there will be competition to rent places. We gave up on the idea of renting a year and a half ago as it was simpler to buy a house if you can believe that. But, I'm not patient in dealing with a potential landlord as some can be quite condescending. Enjoy the 4th!

Old 07-01-2016, 01:04 PM

88,102 posts, read 82,066,493 times
In addition to the Sunset, consider also the Richmond (Inner, Outer), which is similar to the Sunset, just on the other side of GG Park. Pacifica is also a good option, with rents there not likely to rise as fast as in SF.

I'm curious to see how this adventure works out. Please post an update after you get moved and settled in, OP. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland