U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM
 
4,326 posts, read 3,002,659 times
Reputation: 2428

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The price one pays for a SFH - you know, the things you want sprawled everywhere.
if they did build in the green space people wouldn't need to pay 600k for a house in pleasanton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 751,476 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
30 miles and an hour and a half almost? Doesn't seem convenient to me.
Never said it was. Said it was a 45 minute Bart ride to the city. And I said it's too far out for me. But for many t works just fine. There are many advantages to living there if you have a family and don't want the urban lifestyle. It's a suburb, not anywhere close to an exurb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 12:50 AM
 
Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,377 posts, read 3,347,479 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
if they did build in the green space people wouldn't need to pay 600k for a house in pleasanton.
Not necessarily. People would move into all the houses that were built, and the values would eventually rise. Also, let's not damage the environment more than necessary.

Why not build denser housing? Then you can own a three or four bedroom unit that is located in the same building as hundreds of other units owned by other people. It is better for the environment and cheaper for the consumer.

Density is the future.

It is actually quite cheap to buy land and put a SFH on it, PermaBear. The down side is that you'll be far away from all the amenities of the area. You'll have to drive a long time to get to work.

Here's 2.56 acres for 7k.

North Edwards, Kern County, California land for sale - 2.56 acres at LandWatch.com

Buy that and buy a manufactured home and have it placed there. Install solar power and appropriate water/septic systems and you're good to go. Far less than a million dollars, probably less than 100k total.

But like I said...you have to live out in the middle of nowhere. I would rather have a shack that is in an area where I want to live than a SFH that is not in an area desirable to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 AM
 
4,326 posts, read 3,002,659 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Not necessarily. People would move into all the houses that were built, and the values would eventually rise. Also, let's not damage the environment more than necessary.

Why not build denser housing? Then you can own a three or four bedroom unit that is located in the same building as hundreds of other units owned by other people. It is better for the environment and cheaper for the consumer.

Density is the future.

It is actually quite cheap to buy land and put a SFH on it, PermaBear. The down side is that you'll be far away from all the amenities of the area. You'll have to drive a long time to get to work.

Here's 2.56 acres for 7k.

North Edwards, Kern County, California land for sale - 2.56 acres at LandWatch.com

Buy that and buy a manufactured home and have it placed there. Install solar power and appropriate water/septic systems and you're good to go. Far less than a million dollars, probably less than 100k total.

But like I said...you have to live out in the middle of nowhere. I would rather have a shack that is in an area where I want to live than a SFH that is not in an area desirable to me.
I don't think you know how supply and demand works
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 01:06 AM
 
Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,377 posts, read 3,347,479 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't think you know how supply and demand works

Says the guy who thinks land should not be expensive in a desirable area like the one in which we live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 01:28 AM
 
4,326 posts, read 3,002,659 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Says the guy who thinks land should not be expensive in a desirable area like the one in which we live.
There's tons of unused land in the bay area, easily enough to satisfy demand. Have you driven down 280? Oh wait you can't drive
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM
 
45 posts, read 46,174 times
Reputation: 46
Hi Girl...
I'm a former teacher. I believe many/most of the SF public schools are over crowded and underfunded. Many/most are full of low income and ESL students with minimal parental support. The Special Education support is abysmal. IEP promises are, tragically, also underfunded. Rich folks send their kids to private school or live in the burbs. If you're looking for upscale (and/or mostly native English as 1st language) school districts, try Pacifica, Millbrae, Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City, Belmont, San Carlos, Palo Alto.

I've lived in San Francisco (and nearby) since 1979. It's deteriorated to the point of tears. Don't idealize it, really. It's filthy, the traffic is atrocious, homeless crazies everywhere, and entitled hipsters (tech) have driven out long time locals.Being here on vacation is nothing like living here. I bought a house in Pacifica (google map it) in 1999. It's 15 minutes from SF. Good schools, ocean, small town feel, super close but a world away. Before you move to California, there are 2 things to really think about: long term drought and earthquakes.

Amy

Last edited by amyvegan; 08-15-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top