U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 PM

59 posts, read 40,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I saw that listing days ago, but didn't post it, because frankly, you can do much better than that in the Richmond. The bedrooms look small, and the place looks shabby. Please do thorough research on craigslist and compare prices & apartments to get a better idea of the market before you make a serious move to bid for an apt. (There will be competition, so have all your documents lined up and ready to fax.) It pays to shop around and invest some time in internet research.

Ruth4Truth, thanks for the advice. Actually, it will be this time next year when we move. School starts August 9th? In SF. So, not enough time to get everything together. I will apply for teaching jobs in winter, as suggested by the SF School District.

Im an OCD person, I start all my research early (a side-effect of grad school) I like all my ducks in order.

I dedicate a few hours a day for apartment search and data gathering. You amazing people have introduced me to some important sites I would have otherwise overlooked. Thank you all!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:19 PM

4,326 posts, read 3,003,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
Ruth4Truth, thanks for the advice. Actually, it will be this time next year when we move. School starts August 9th? In SF. So, not enough time to get everything together. I will apply for teaching jobs in winter, as suggested by the SF School District.

Im an OCD person, I start all my research early (a side-effect of grad school) I like all my ducks in order.

I dedicate a few hours a day for apartment search and data gathering. You amazing people have introduced me to some important sites I would have otherwise overlooked. Thank you all!
You might want to search various discounted lunch programs

Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 AM

1,364 posts, read 889,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I saw that listing days ago, but didn't post it, because frankly, you can do much better than that in the Richmond. The bedrooms look small, and the place looks shabby. Please do thorough research on craigslist and compare prices & apartments to get a better idea of the market before you make a serious move to bid for an apt. (There will be competition, so have all your documents lined up and ready to fax.) It pays to shop around and invest some time in internet research.
That is why I stated in the posting that she would need to see the rental in person. It was just an example of what she may be able to find in the Richmond or Sunset Dist, that would likely be in her budget. I had recalled when made that posting, that OP was not planning a move until next year

Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 751,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Yes, Quora has questions and answers on just about any topic you can think of. Here's another related question you may find interesting:

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-leave-the-Bay-Area

The thing is, almost everyone in the Bay Area commutes by car. Hence the atrocious traffic.
So are you generalizing Silicon Valley as "everyone in the Bay Area?" This is so not true for those that commute to the Financial District or anywhere on a Bart/Bus/Caltrain Line from the East Bay, the City, Burlingame, San Mateo, Daly City, the list goes on and on. Now, if you're talking about driving in SV, then I agree. The OP is looking at working and living in SF so she will likely be commuting by bus or Bart, maybe by car if she needs to.

OP, traffic here is not as bad as NY or LA traffic. Even going over the Bay Bridge is not that bad except at the Toll Plaza. Now, it's all relative to what you're used to. And, since it's NY, you already are used to it. Just make sure to heed Jade's and Ruth's advice regarding commutes when living and working off a Commuter line.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:22 PM

901 posts, read 973,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
So are you generalizing Silicon Valley as "everyone in the Bay Area?" This is so not true for those that commute to the Financial District or anywhere on a Bart/Bus/Caltrain Line from the East Bay, the City, Burlingame, San Mateo, Daly City, the list goes on and on. Now, if you're talking about driving in SV, then I agree. The OP is looking at working and living in SF so she will likely be commuting by bus or Bart, maybe by car if she needs to.

OP, traffic here is not as bad as NY or LA traffic. Even going over the Bay Bridge is not that bad except at the Toll Plaza. Now, it's all relative to what you're used to. And, since it's NY, you already are used to it. Just make sure to heed Jade's and Ruth's advice regarding commutes when living and working off a Commuter line.
Getting to the Bay Bridge in SF is absolutely horrendous. Can take an hour to go a couple of miles. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Getting noticeably worse every year.

Within the radius of the bad traffic, it is every bit as bad in 2016 as the core bad spots of LA and NYC. The bad spots are just smaller here, that's all. But it's a matter of time. We are on a bad trajectory here.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Getting to the Bay Bridge in SF is absolutely horrendous. Can take an hour to go a couple of miles. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Getting noticeably worse every year.

Within the radius of the bad traffic, it is every bit as bad in 2016 as the core bad spots of LA and NYC. The bad spots are just smaller here, that's all. But it's a matter of time. We are on a bad trajectory here.
Getting worse every year, sure, but still pales in comparison to NY and LA. Come on, an hour to go a couple miles, from where to the Bay Bridge? I mean if you're talking Hercules or the Oakland airport to the Bay Bridge maybe, but an hour to go a couple of miles is an over-exaggeration.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM

901 posts, read 973,269 times
It happened to me. I checked my cell phone. It is not an exaggeration. Wish it was. Go try driving in soma after 3:30 or 4pm on a weekday. Try it a few times. One day it might take 20 minutes to get thru the area. Another day it could be 60. Easily so when there is a game.

Day this happened, no Giants game. I'm from NY. Lived in NYC and SF. I am correct. I know many who lived both places who agree. You may disagree. Invite anyone to go experience for themselves.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM

677 posts, read 744,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post

I'm referring to the traffic on 101, 880, 680, 280, 580, 85, 17, 80, 87, etc., just about every highway in the Bay Area. Yes, a lot of it is Silicon Valley, but a lot of the traffic is also in the East Bay, and also with all the people commuting in from the far exburbs by car. If you look at the Bay Area and its exburbs as a whole, yes, a heck of a lot of people commute by car. Public transit in the Bay Area is not that extensive and only goes so far out.

And, yes, of course the toll plazas are the bottleneck at any bridge or tunnel. I'd say trying to get across the Bay Bridge during rush hour is about as bad as trying to get through the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
It happened to me. I checked my cell phone. It is not an exaggeration. Wish it was. Go try driving in soma after 3:30 or 4pm on a weekday. Try it a few times. One day it might take 20 minutes to get thru the area. Another day it could be 60. Easily so when there is a game.

Day this happened, no Giants game. I'm from NY. Lived in NYC and SF. I am correct. I know many who lived both places who agree. You may disagree. Invite anyone to go experience for themselves.
Ok, I'm not going to argue that it happened to you one time, but really two miles to the Bay Bridge, from say Union Square, Japan Town, Civic Center, Financial District, it has never taken me much more than 30 minutes and usually about 10-20 minutes from the Financial District in the middle of rush hour. It was just a bad day I guess. Of course, it's going to be bad when there is a game, most cities in the US are, not just SF.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
I'm referring to the traffic on 101, 880, 680, 280, 580, 85, 17, 80, 87, etc., just about every highway in the Bay Area. Yes, a lot of it is Silicon Valley, but a lot of the traffic is also in the East Bay, and also with all the people commuting in from the far exburbs by car. If you look at the Bay Area and its exburbs as a whole, yes, a heck of a lot of people commute by car. Public transit in the Bay Area is not that extensive and only goes so far out.

And, yes, of course the toll plazas are the bottleneck at any bridge or tunnel. I'd say trying to get across the Bay Bridge during rush hour is about as bad as trying to get through the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC.
A heck of a lot of people is way different than everyone. How many take Bart every day, half a million or so? Ok, so maybe a lot of people drive, not arguing that especially in SV. But take a commute from Pleasanton to Mountain View which is about 30 miles. I can almost guarantee that commute will be less than a similar 30 mile commute to downtown LA or the West Side and that's all I'm saying. Look, we all can agree traffic is bad, but the OP is coming from NY. Why don't you ask her what the commute time is from say Madison Avenue to Ridgewood? I bet it's just as bad if not worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland