Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
I really don't understand what you're saying here; I sense some "California dreaming" going on. I do not think that your quality of life will improve at all, except for the lack of very low winter temperatures and the occasional trip to a nature preserve. SF is being filled up with the same people as NYC (which I think is actually becoming better re: people, so we disagree on that).

Overall I think the bad is going to outweigh the good, unless you heavily weigh those two above things AND will earn 150k+ between the two of you, or if you already have substantial savings/family wealth.

However, since you don't have kids, the stakes are pretty low right now. Having kids in the Bay Area dramatically raises the stakes financially even from the level that we're already talking about in this thread.

Go look on sfbay.craigslist.org and see how much rentals cost. The landlord will take 10 or more applications, and probably choose the one with the highest income. You will have to get lucky.
I have to say this is soooo right on and what I've found to be unique in this area. Landlord expectations are absurdly high if you try to rent from an owner (versus corporate apartments). They usually have 5+ applicants, even in less desirable areas like Daly City, and practically have free reign in terms of who they choose and what they demand.

Be prepared to have as many documents pulled as if you were applying for a mortgage - bank statements, pay stubs, credit check, proof that you have a source of income after you move, references (personal and job). And a requirement that you make X amount more than your rent monthly (for us it was 4x rent) or a showing of significant assets. And even for a $3k rental, you may be asked for a $5k or more deposit. But the rent may be cheaper than a comparable corporate rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:18 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
The Inner Richmond is going to cost more then Outer Sunset in terms of rent....specially east of Park Presidio (a main thoroughfare) The Outer Richmond, west of 25th Ave would be a little cheaper then the Inner Richmond. Outer Richmond is a bit more hilly. There is a shopping district on Balboa St in the Outer R, west of 25th Ave.... a historic movie theater there

http://www.cinemasf.com/balboa/

Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Check out the suburbs around SF, San Jose and Oakland. Much better quality of life than in SF, rent will be less (but not by much) and you can always visit on weekends. I was born in SF (live on the peninsula most of my life) and seldom go to SF and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. There is a difference between being a tourist in SF for a week and actually living in SF.

I find SF to be dirty and gritty. The homeless situation is out of control, crime is a problem and the looney left-wing city government is dysfunctual. Even the weather is often dreary and windy.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM

If do move to this area, there are some scenic beaches north and south of SF and can be inviting when there are warm weather spells at the coast.....heed what you see on a sign like this and not every beach has a sign like this
Attached Thumbnails
A NJ Teacher considering a move to SF-img_0498-1024x667-.jpg  

Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
You'd think with all the construction you might have a good chance. But it's my understanding that places bring in workers from other states to pay low wages, and then house them piled up on each other....mean while construction people from here can't find work.

Don't move without either jobs in hand, or a heck of a financial cushion to cover. Housing prices are high, food prices are high, entertainment costs are high.

We moved here 30 some years ago, and with all the corporate takeovers, a lot of the cool has been sucked out....here is pretty much like everywhere else, just we have better weather.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 PM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
I live in Ridgewood NJ. I think the move is lateral.
But it's not. A similar house on a similar-sized lot will cost you 2-3 times as much in SF as it does in Ridgewood, NJ.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
We are average people, who live an average life, we work hard and work a lot, so as a teacher I don't mind working all day then teaching night classes. My husband works all day and works side jobs. Moving to SF would change our quality of life, and the cost of living is almost the same from the area we currently live. I thank you for your insight.
But the cost of living is not the same. In addition to the incredibly higher cost for everything (e.g., housing, gas, food, fees, etc.), almost everything is also taxed. Higher income tax, high sales tax, tax on clothing and shoes, etc., even an extra surcharge just for eating in restaurants.

So unless both you and your husband are able to work more than 24 hours a day, I don't see how you would be able to make the numbers work.

BTW, I lived in NJ/NYC for over 25 years.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM

I don't think NYC/NJ is a bargain tax & fee wise compared to this area. I think OP is likely able to calculate things on her own in regard living expenses. Some time spent on Craiglist & other sites like Hotpads will her and her husband a idea of rental costs

Old 07-01-2016, 03:01 PM

242 posts, read 433,034 times
I don't know the costs of where you're coming from (and don't have time to look it up) but my advice would be to ensure you seriously examine the differences in costs of living (total costs, not just rent) before you make serious decisions.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
But the cost of living is not the same. In addition to the incredibly higher cost for everything (e.g., housing, gas, food, fees, etc.), almost everything is also taxed. Higher income tax, high sales tax, tax on clothing and shoes, etc., even an extra surcharge just for eating in restaurants.

So unless both you and your husband are able to work more than 24 hours a day, I don't see how you would be able to make the numbers work.

BTW, I lived in NJ/NYC for over 25 years.
Generally, costs for many things here are more than they are in other areas of the country. But, the OP is coming from NY/NJ, one of the highest taxed regions of the country. I think most costs here are very comparable to NY/NJ, some things might be a little more, but compared to the increase in housing costs it'll look like peanuts.

Also, just an aside, I'd like to add that food, especially fresh food/produce, is pretty cheap here compared to the East Coast. And you're getting much higher quality for less money. Maybe if you do all of your shopping at Safeway, things aren't much cheaper...but there are much cheaper (and fresher) ways to get your food here, especially in the city of SF where every neighborhood has a few produce markets.

Eating out isn't really all that different in costs compared to NY/NJ, either. And I'd argue that the Bay Area destroys most metros in the 8-20 dollar range (which is probably where 95% of my meals out are, generally closer to 8 than 20).

At the end of the day, rent is really the only cost increase to be worried about. If one can make that work, all else will be manageable (some costs higher, some lower).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland