Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I can't say I really noticed a difference between the "nature loving" culture when I lived in LA, SF, or NY - LA probably had the worst in my experience - but ultimately I don't know why this would affect the OP. If she likes to do outdoorsy things, she can do it in both places and find people who also enjoy those activities. I think she will find the differences in her experience to be minimal here in that regard. Maybe the availability of good year-round outdoor activities will be the game-changer but it seemed like she was talking about the social aspect more than her own personal activities.
Yeah, there are great options in all these places if you seek them out, and are willing to drive a bit. And you can do stuff all year long in NY and SF (obviously, different kind of activities in the winter in NY, but one can certainly be active outside).

But I do think weather has something to do with it. (i.e. being able to go for a (nonwinter) hike, or bike ride, pretty much any day of year). It might be a cyclical thing...the weather attracts these kinds of people...these kind of people come here...their presences attracts other people who are attracted to the outdoors culture, weather, and proximity to easy-to-access (within 15-45 minutes of SF) nature...and around it goes.

And I am talking about the social aspect of it - not just the outdoors activity options part of it. I've personally found it way easier to meet people who are really into hiking/biking/climbing/backpacking/camping here than in NY. I'm not saying people like that don't exist in NY - of course, there are tons and one can seek them out if they want - but I think it's just more of a critical mass thing here. You're bound to run into countless people into these things here (honestly, it's hard to not be around these types of people here...and sometimes it can be a bit insufferable as we all start seeming to be the same!).

I don't think I'm crazy here, either...my friends from NY like to joke about our nightlife here, and I like to tell them that a lot of people here want to get to bed early(ish) on Friday nights so they can get an early start on their outdoorsy weekend...while I'm half joking here, I think there's some truth in there.

I can't comment on LA as I've never lived there - but from my visits, people seemed to be into doing stuff outside (even if it's just the "run in the park" thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:38 PM

677 posts, read 835,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
So then great one, please tell me your definition of "almost everyone?" I'd say it's pretty close to 50/50 or I'll even give you 60/40 drive/take public transportation. is that "almost everyone?" I don't think so. The drive percentage is likely higher in SV, like I have said all along.

So now you want to compare a city (i.e. Tracy) that is 60 miles outside of SF? What is your point? If the OP lived in Tracy she would likely get a teaching position somewhere close to Tracy, not in SF. And yes, I know she lives in Ridgewood. You want to argue that traffic is worse here than NY or LA, when it just isn't.

BTW, if I leave work now in the Financial District, Google Maps is saying about 51 minutes home which is about 12 miles. A far cry from 1 hour to go two miles to get on the Bay Bridge.
At 5:00pm. What if you had to leave at 6:00pm?

The "Bay Area" (which is what I stated) is far larger than just SF. You're only thinking about people commuting into SF. Most of the jobs in the Bay Area are not in SF.

If you live in Walnut Creek and work in San Jose or vise versa, what public transportation can you take?

My point is that most people in the Bay Area commute by car because most people do not work in SF.

I guess you also don't realize that many people live out in the exburbs (e.g., Tracy, Los Banos, even Sacramento) and commute by car to their jobs in the inner core Bay Area because it's too expensive to live closer to work.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 AM

59 posts, read 47,504 times
Quote:
How about driving from Ridgewood? That's what the Great Curve was arguing about. So it takes 45 minutes on Bart to go from Pleasanton to the Financial District and 30 minutes from most Inner East Bay areas, and when I drive into the City and park around Market it only takes me 45-60 minutes commute and I do this every week. You people are living in a different world or don't make the drive every week and think because it happened one time it's the norm.

Of course NYC has better transit with more frequent trains. I'm not arguing that. But there is no way it takes 1 hour to get on the Bay Bridge when you are two miles or less away. If so, it's an anomaly.
Commuting from Ridgewood to NY is exceptional - Im not being arrogant, it's a fact. High Taxes and Wall Strett People demanded it.

The 7:05am train from RW to Secaucus is express, makes a few stops like Glen Rock, then right into Secaucus for Penn Station or to Hoboken to the PATH. The PATH will take you right to the WTC or to stops from the Village to I think 33rd street. The PATH connects one to the web of the NYC Subway.

When I worked on 23rd street, it took me about an 45 minutes by train. And easy comment

RW boasts to their potential home buyers that we are 25 minutes by car to NYC. Well, that may be true on a Sunday at 7am. I would not drive into Manhattan to work, (some do) the cost of parking is huge and the wear and tear on ones vehicle is horrendous. Did you know the FDR drive has never been paved since is creation? NYC is now attempting to pave it and it's a nightmare. The West Side Highway and a lovely drive.

Getting out of NYC at rush hour is a headache, so either stay late at work or try to leave early.

Yes, Manhattan is filthy and dirty, depending on the area. Im used to it and it doesn't phase me. Nor does the homeless who yell at anyone who will listen. The pot smokers in Madison Sq. Park do not bother me either.

I plan to live in a residential area in SF and to work in the area I would live. My current commute by car to the school I teach is about 15 minutes.

I just want to add a side note. RW is going through a change right now, the Tech people have discovered this little Village and realize they can live in a lovely place with amazing schools for their children. Costs for rents and houses are now on the rise. Its not a pretty sight. We just got rid of the Mayor and Council and held a special election to stop the building of huge garage that was going to be built by the same person who wanted to build a large apartment complex on South Broad Street.

So, I feel your pain SF, I really do. But, I want a change in life and want to leave the east coast.

Beth

Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 AM

59 posts, read 47,504 times
Quote:
How about driving from Ridgewood? That's what the Great Curve was arguing about. So it takes 45 minutes on Bart to go from Pleasanton to the Financial District and 30 minutes from most Inner East Bay areas, and when I drive into the City and park around Market it only takes me 45-60 minutes commute and I do this every week. You people are living in a different world or don't make the drive every week and think because it happened one time it's the norm.

Of course NYC has better transit with more frequent trains. I'm not arguing that. But there is no way it takes 1 hour to get on the Bay Bridge when you are two miles or less away. If so, it's an anomaly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Why are we arguing about commuting by car to downtown areas... the OP likely won't be commuting by car, bus, or BART to FiDi. She's a school teacher...

And why on earth would anyone drive from Ridgewood to Madison Ave lol. I think the reality is she lives in a residential area now, works in a residential area, and will do the same in SF. No matter where traffic is worse, I think anyone here would agree she would not have a great quality of life if she lived in the Outer Sunset and had to make it across the bay bridge. And taking public transportation is pretty darn annoying if you need to go somewhere off the main BART/Muni line (and you live outside the city).

FWIW I lived in SF as well as NY and find the love of nature to be comparable honestly. Go just an hr outside the city and you can find beautiful mountains, farms, rivers, in NJ, NY and CT - just like outside SF. Cleanliness also comparable, depending on where you go, but homeless people more visible in SF.
Thank you!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post
Commuting from Ridgewood to NY is exceptional - Im not being arrogant, it's a fact. High Taxes and Wall Strett People demanded it.

The 7:05am train from RW to Secaucus is express, makes a few stops like Glen Rock, then right into Secaucus for Penn Station or to Hoboken to the PATH. The PATH will take you right to the WTC or to stops from the Village to I think 33rd street. The PATH connects one to the web of the NYC Subway.

When I worked on 23rd street, it took me about an 45 minutes by train. And easy comment

RW boasts to their potential home buyers that we are 25 minutes by car to NYC. Well, that may be true on a Sunday at 7am. I would not drive into Manhattan to work, (some do) the cost of parking is huge and the wear and tear on ones vehicle is horrendous. Did you know the FDR drive has never been paved since is creation? NYC is now attempting to pave it and it's a nightmare. The West Side Highway and a lovely drive.

Getting out of NYC at rush hour is a headache, so either stay late at work or try to leave early.

Yes, Manhattan is filthy and dirty, depending on the area. Im used to it and it doesn't phase me. Nor does the homeless who yell at anyone who will listen. The pot smokers in Madison Sq. Park do not bother me either.

I plan to live in a residential area in SF and to work in the area I would live. My current commute by car to the school I teach is about 15 minutes.

I just want to add a side note. RW is going through a change right now, the Tech people have discovered this little Village and realize they can live in a lovely place with amazing schools for their children. Costs for rents and houses are now on the rise. Its not a pretty sight. We just got rid of the Mayor and Council and held a special election to stop the building of huge garage that was going to be built by the same person who wanted to build a large apartment complex on South Broad Street.

So, I feel your pain SF, I really do. But, I want a change in life and want to leave the east coast.

Beth
Move to the south, seriously you'll live like a king anywhere else.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Girlinacafe;
Is the Outer Sunset where you expect to be working or do you just like that area?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 AM

Girlinacafe;
Google St view link below is from the corner of 9th & Judah. The N-Judah St streetcar turns there. Use your computer mouse to move in the direction of the back of a bus you can see in the link...that way you can explore this shopping & dining area. if you lived in the Outer Sunset, close to this rail line, you could catch the street car to this area. The Inner Sunset neighborhood in the link below is rather close to UCSF....hence it's going to bit a bit more expensive, compared to further west area in SF

https://www.google.com/maps/place/9t...4d2503!6m1!1e1

Old 07-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Girlina....
photo in attachment was taken last week of Dec 2013, a beach north of San Francisco. I didn't even need a jacket or sweater that day. This time of year, July, Aug) it's often cool, overcast, breezy, fogy near the coast here.
Attached Thumbnails
A NJ Teacher considering a move to SF-img_0503-1024x768-.jpg  

Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
There are a lot of different school districts in the Bay Area and some private schools. My ex-bf used to work for SF, as a high school teacher and department lead. He changed jobs to work at a private school in San Jose and got a raise of $23k over his old salary, it was something like a 33% raise.

So it is likely OP will find that places outside SF pay teachers a lot more, particularly school districts in Silicon Valley, and other expensive areas that are more focused on being a good school district.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM

SF offers rare signing bonuses amid big teacher shortage - San Francisco Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland