Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 9,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
If rent isn't due until July 15, why did you guys serve her a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit on July 6? Did you guys serve her another 3-day notice when she failed to pay on the day it was due?

But anyway, looks like things are moving along for you guys.

The rent is due July 15th to the owner of the house. In our signed agreement, between my uncle (the master tenant) and her (the subtenant) her portion of the rent is due the 1st of every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quick update:
My uncle went down to the courts on July 19th and filed the unlawful detainer (paid a fee of $240).
He then received a copy of what I believe was also mailed to her, regarding responding to the unlawful detainer.
The paper says this person is suing you and you have X amount of days to respond or you may lose your case.

Well according to my uncle, she has not been back to the house since Tuesday. So I am wondering what's going to be the next step if she does not answer the unlawful detainer. I can't seem to find anything online about what if they don't answer it.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
http://evictiondefense.org/wp-conten...ulDetainer.gif

perhaps the tenant is looking for another place to live (best outcome for all)
perhaps the tenant sought free legal help to file a response/answer
perhaps the tenant mentally does not have it together to do much of anything for herself

Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
http://evictiondefense.org/wp-conten...ulDetainer.gif

perhaps the tenant is looking for another place to live (best outcome for all)
perhaps the tenant sought free legal help to file a response/answer
perhaps the tenant mentally does not have it together to do much of anything for herself
The letter she has to answer is with her mail that she has yet to look at.
So I don't think she sought legal counsel if she hasn't seen the letter.
She has not been home since my uncle has filed on Tuesday

Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 PM

I assume all her personal belonging are still there....
She is going to run out of time to file answer. I believe if the 5 day period to file a answer, ends on a weekend or holiday, she would then have to the next business day to file a answer.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 PM

Found this:

"Once the Sheriff has received the court order, he will come and post a Notice to Vacate on your door. The notice gives you five days to leave. If you can’t leave within the five days, you can go back to court and request a “Stay of Execution.” You will need to pay one week’s rent to the court and this will delay the eviction for another week. It may be possible to get more than one Stay of Execution. After the Notice to Vacate or Stay of Execution has expired, the Sheriff will remove you."

https://www.sftu.org/eviction/

Old 07-22-2016, 03:42 PM

This might be beneficial regarding a future tenant they may want to rent a room to;

https://www.sftu.org/eviction-protec...s-for-tenants/

Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 71,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I don't know what recourse you have legally but I would tell your family to be very careful - especially if they are getting a good deal with rent control. I was an illegal sublet once along with some roommates (I didn't know we were illegal). After I moved out, I found out that the real landlord discovered this arrangement. Long story short... He got pissed off and evicted his tenant, which in turn evicted the roommates. The biggest issue in this arrangement though was my "landlord" was making a profit off subletting the apt to us so if your family isn't making a profit maybe this won't happen to you.
If you want, you can reclaim some of the rent you paid to your "landlord". According to law, you only have to pay the fair share of rent. If your "landlord" is making a profit, that is illegal and subject to a legal case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland