Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 01:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

If so, is it worth requesting that our sleeping car be on one side or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:45 PM

308 posts, read 467,481 times
I've taken it from Chicago to CA. The trip is so long, I don't think it really matters. I don't recall anything standing out on one side that warrants the effort. Not even sure if you can request it. If you are doing a round trip, then I would try to get opposite sides, otherwise the view will be similar on both sides.

Enjoy the trip! The sleeper cars are the way to go. And remember to brings your snacks, beverage, etc with you. I wouldn't count on getting off, even on the longer stops. They typically run late and reduce the time at the longer stops. Our 4 hour Denver stop was reduced to 25 minutes.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Agree with kgbnsf. Only part it matters is going along taivaputs plateau and i recommend sitting in the observation car when you go through that part. The observation car is great!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If so, is it worth requesting that our sleeping car be on one side or the other?
I have taken the trip both ways. It doesn't matter which side of the train your sleeping compartment is on. You can sit in the observation car and look out on both sides. They time the train ride so you go over the Sierras and the Rockies during daylight hours. They do have some stops where you can get off the train for 10 or 15 minutes, but don't wander off. Stay close to the train. When they sound the horn and say "all aboard", get back on the train! Smokers LOVE these stops.

Bring some reading material. You can also bring a bottle or two of wine or something stronger but you must consume it in your sleeping compartment. It's easy to find plastic cups and get ice if you want.On the lower level of the observation car, there is a snack bar where you can buy stuff but it's a little expensive. Bring some of your favorite snacks with you (maybe bananas, apples, oranges which you can't get on the train).

If you have a roomette, bring some flip-flops with you. I have used them to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and to wear them in the shower. The rest rooms start out clean but 2 days later when you get near Chicago, not so much.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Thanks for the tips! We have taken the Empire Builder before but this is m first time with a sleeping car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland