Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:18 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

There was quite a scandal years back when a Oakland school board member sent his daughter to a private school in Oakland... his boys attended public schools but not his little girl.

Oakland does have Charter Schools... some have done well and others have not lasted through a single school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:18 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
School choice doesn't actually solve the problem.
Sure it does. It means that a kid who lives in a poor neighborhood and is the child of poor parents can go to a top quality school, using a voucher.

If we did public schools properly -- the state funds them, local donations are prohibited, teachers are there to serve their country and therefore don't go on strike, poorest neighborhoods get the most resources in terms of funding and quality of teachers, district is allowed to fire teachers who don't perform well -- then I would be against vouchers. But that's not how public school is implemented. At least not in California.

The African-American mayor of Washington, DC, a Democrat, supports vouchers. (as seen on the TV show "The West Wing" also.)

House set to vote on D.C. voucher plan opposed by Obama - Washington Times

Quote:
Generally American society doesn't care about public education, equal access and universal opportunity.
This should say "generally the members of the teachers union don't care about public education, equal access and universal opportunity; instead they care about their pensions and fringe benefits, at the expense of quality resources for students."

Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 PM

273 posts, read 209,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Barely black? Lol anyways, why do they want to get rid of blacks from Oakland? Are the liberals behind it? I know this is odd but I've always felt like white liberals were somehow still somewhat racist. Not all but like half. It felt like they would just baby blacks, and act like they weren't capable of anything, so that's why I'm asking that. And aren't most CEOs liberal and most government officials liberal, I am under the impression they are so that's why I'm asking. And next could it be to make the area more profitable?
This is off-topic so I will only mention it once, but I agree with you here.

I'm an educated conservative (bordering on libertarian) and spend my time with many like-minded people. We believe that literally anybody can be successful if they are willing to put the effort in.

Many white liberals that I know (and have interacted with on these kinds of forums) claim to believe in equality and claim that I'm against poor people. However, when I discover their relatively low income and call them out on it, they claim to not be poor. One said straight out "I am not one of those people. I am better than that."

White liberals just want to use massive government intervention to suppress the poor and non-whites, while claiming to be on their side.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:07 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
This is off-topic so I will only mention it once, but I agree with you here.

I'm an educated conservative (bordering on libertarian) and spend my time with many like-minded people. We believe that literally anybody can be successful if they are willing to put the effort in.

Many white liberals that I know (and have interacted with on these kinds of forums) claim to believe in equality and claim that I'm against poor people. However, when I discover their relatively low income and call them out on it, they claim to not be poor. One said straight out "I am not one of those people. I am better than that."

White liberals just want to use massive government intervention to suppress the poor and non-whites, while claiming to be on their side.
That's quite a leap and stereotype about millions of people.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:59 PM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
Please elaborate on how healthcare, education, nutrition, housing, and other liberal social programs "oppress the poor," oh wise Mr. Troll.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:08 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993Khan View Post
The black population has dropped by 50% in Oakland since the 1990s!

I understand many families wanted to leave the city after what it had went through in the last few decades but where did they go?

Was the migration spread across the country?

Was it to other neighborhoods in the Bay Area?

Was it to predominantly black areas in the South?

They often talk about blacks leaving Oakland during this time period but never mention where they moved to, any help?
Concord and Pittsburg.

They did not "want" to leave, they are being gentrified. Housing is absurdly high in the West bay due to Asian immigration to fuel the tech industry, and west Bay folks are moving east.

There are parts of Oakland that I do not believe can be gentrified, due to the extreme violence, but we shall see. If it can be done, in ten years there will no blacks left in Oakland.

Last edited by cachibatches; 08-06-2016 at 11:20 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post

Please elaborate on how healthcare, education, nutrition, housing, and other liberal social programs "oppress the poor," oh wise Mr. Troll.
Always a terrible idea to resort to name calling (Mr. Troll) instead of just discussing ideas. Expect that people will hold different opinions than you without any intention to "troll".

Old 08-07-2016, 02:27 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Concord and Pittsburg.

They did not "want" to leave, they are being gentrified. Housing is absurdly high in the West bay due to Asian immigration to fuel the tech industry, and west Bay folks are moving east.

There are parts of Oakland that I do not believe can be gentrified, due to the extreme violence, but we shall see. If it can be done, in ten years there will no blacks left in Oakland.
So African American homeowners that choose to cash out are being driven out???

If you own your home as many do for decades... it certainly isn't property taxes going up driving anybody out.

Oakland only allows evictions under very specific limited circumstances.

Could it be that people move willingly?

Maybe they want a home that is newer than the 1930, 1940 or 1950 when the bulk of Oakland was built.

Antioch is certainly much newer as is Tracy, etc...

Old 08-07-2016, 12:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,971,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Blacks leaving Oakland, this is not just an Oakland thing. And just a Bay Area thing. It's happening in Greater LA. Many Blacks from California are turning up in metro Atlanta. They're also going to Dallas and Houston. Some have moved to Arizona.

Percentage of Blacks in California, 1980: 7.7%
2010: 6.7%

Meanwhile, Washington state saw its Black population rise from 2.6% to 3.7% in the same time period.
Colorado went from 3.5% Black to 4.3% Black
Arizona went from 2.8% to 4.2% Black
Nevada went from 6.4% to 9% Black.
But what about the numbers of Blacks because the percentages would likely go down since the Hispanic population growth has been very fast. It has been estimated that the Black population in LA County grew over the past year. And other suburban cities in both the Bay Area (Pittsburg, Antioch, etc) and LA (Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley, etc.) have grown in Black population. Also Sacramento and some Central Valley cities. We've seen a lot move to Houston/DFW/Atlanta but then again, a lot of people from California of all races have moved to those cities and other lower cost areas.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:26 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
So African American homeowners that choose to cash out are being driven out???

If you own your home as many do for decades... it certainly isn't property taxes going up driving anybody out. ...
This is largely not what is happening. Besides, the flip side of this is that the young black Oakland residents who would like to buy those homes being sold cannot afford to.

Quote:
Oakland only allows evictions under very specific limited circumstances.
But the rents and home prices are driving them out. I work in Oakland and talk to people about this DAILY.

Quote:
Could it be that people move willingly?
I don't mean to be rude hear but you are totally divorced from the reality of the situation. Do you live in Oakland? Work in Oakland? Do you know the people there? All anyone ever talks about on either side of the bay anymore is how we can't make it. That is the reality.

Rents are too high and no one can afford to buy a home. These are the problems that are driving blacks and others away. Sure, some blacks are cashing out--it is not the root of the problem.

Quote:
Maybe they want a home that is newer than the 1930, 1940 or 1950 when the bulk of Oakland was built.

Antioch is certainly much newer as is Tracy, etc...
For some reason you are putting a rosy tint on what is truly a crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland