Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:46 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,481,229 times

Advertisements

I am 4th generation Oakland... lived here my entire life and bought my first home two blocks below East 14th on 90th avenue... then I moved to Havenscourt and later to Laurel...

I have seen neighborhoods where I knew everyone by at least first names or went to school with their kids totally transform several times... predominantly white to black to asian to hispanic and now mixed couples, LGBT with many refugees from San Francisco that finally have "Discovered" Oakland.

Living in Deep East Oakland below East 14th in a 1911 home of 570 square feet is more than walking the walk... my Grandparents lived for decades in Maxwell park... Dad went to Frick and Fremont.

I also have 30 plus years of property management and 30 years ago 80+ percent of the property I managed was Section 8... now there are only a few legacy S8 tenants left...

Not a single Section 8 family was asked to leave or "Couldn't Afford the Rent" yet they almost all did leave for Hayward, Antioch, Vallejo etc... they all had school age kids and all wanted "Better"

3 homes have changed hands on my Oakland block in the last 5 years... all went to LGBT couples... two with kids one not... one white couple, one African American couple and one Single Asian... all 3 homes were previously owned by black homeowners... two sold and retired out of State and one was sold to settle the Estate... both kids had homes so it was sold... by the way, I was in the wedding parties for both kids and helped out a lot and kept an eye on things when their Father died... since I lived one house over.

For all intents and purposes, Oakland is/was the most integrated large city in America... Oakland leaders from the city manager, mayor, public works, police chief, school boards, black chamber of commerce hold tenure.

You do realize that many areas of Oakland were really hard hit in the Real Estate Bust... I can provide addresses of homes that sold for 500k in 2007 that were sold foreclosure several years later for a 100k... that is an 80% drop in prices.

I sold my Havenscourt home in 2005 for 255k in 2007 it sold again for 355k... in 2009 it was sold for 80k by the bank.

Oakland has been "Discovered" and prices have risen dramatically... it is due to Oakland's success and success creates winners and losers... for decades the cry was to revitalize and now that it is happening is it a case of too much of a good thing?

Anyone that bought as recent as 4 years ago is a hands down winner... not talking a generation or lifetime ago... just the period from 2009 to 2012...

Crisis was when people in the 70's were simply walking away from homes and city would take over ownership because not even the banks wanted them... I walked past a lot of those city owned homes on my way to school that were ultimately sold for $1 (One Dollar) to people willing to move in, make repairs and live there for 5 years.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-07-2016 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,051,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
All anyone ever talks about on either side of the bay anymore is how we can't make it. That is the reality.
People say that all over the world, dude. If you can't afford your living situation, downsize. Get another roommate or move in where there are more people. Or get a higher paying job.

I agree with UltraRunner. It is not that no one can afford to live here -- I live here and I make $12/hr -- but rather, people have unrealistic expectations of the type of housing they should be able to afford at their income.

Middle class around here is two bedroom rented/owned condo/apartment. One bedroom if you do not have children.

The SFH -- especially one in an excellent school district -- is upper class, not middle class, around here. That's not just the Bay Area, but all the world's great cities.

London median income = 70k
London median home price = 700k

Same situation. Same reason.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 AM

273 posts, read 208,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Please elaborate on how healthcare, education, nutrition, housing, and other liberal social programs "oppress the poor," oh wise Mr. Troll.
It causes absolute reliance on the government and does not allow these people to learn how to better themselves.

As the old saying goes: "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime". Government intervention deprives people the opportunity to forge their own way in the world. It makes them lazier and more entitled, which is a huge issue in today's world.

Besides, Obamacare is almost a complete failure. Insurance rates are astronomical and many poor and young people are still not insured. Instead, they are forced to pay a hefty tax. The one good thing that came out of it is that health insurances are no longer able to discriminate based on prior medical conditions. Other than that, it's complete crap.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,954,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
It causes absolute reliance on the government and does not allow these people to learn how to better themselves.

As the old saying goes: "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime". Government intervention deprives people the opportunity to forge their own way in the world. It makes them lazier and more entitled, which is a huge issue in today's world.

Besides, Obamacare is almost a complete failure. Insurance rates are astronomical and many poor and young people are still not insured. Instead, they are forced to pay a hefty tax. The one good thing that came out of it is that health insurances are no longer able to discriminate based on prior medical conditions. Other than that, it's complete crap.
Excellent post. There's also a multitude of numbers from the Census, EPI, etc, where you can see how ineffective regressive leftist entitlement programs have been for the black community.

Since 1967 blacks have received trillions of dollars of aid from entitlement funding, this includes housing subsidies, food stamps, vouchers, and cash.

Since 1967, drop out rates, poverty, and single parenthood rates in the black community have skyrocketed and have not gotten measurably better for the community. In fact, what you see is gentrification in Oakland, San Francisco and most Bay Area cities where blacks can no longer afford to live.

If the theory that "entitlement programs" were supposed to help blacks get a head start, whereby they would take those entitlements, and go on to create better lives for themselves, then why are they getting priced out of these markets? Why are they not able to afford to live in communities where they have historically had a large demographic presence for decades? Why are they getting poorer, while other minority groups are able to move into these communities and afford to live there?

I've yet to meet a leftist who can explain why trillions of dollars of entitlement programs have not been able to raise the black median income higher, lower the drop out rate, and decrease the single parenthood rate.

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 08-08-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,703,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Excellent post. There's also a multitude of numbers from the Census, EPI, etc, where you can see how ineffective regressive leftist entitlement programs have been for the black community.

Since 1967 blacks have received trillions of dollars of aid from entitlement funding, this includes housing subsidies, food stamps, vouchers, and cash.

Since 1967, drop out rates, poverty, and single parenthood rates in the black community have skyrocketed and have not gotten measurably better for the community. In fact, what you see is gentrification in Oakland, San Francisco and most Bay Area cities where blacks can no longer afford to live.

If the theory that "entitlement programs" were supposed to help blacks get a head start, whereby they would take those entitlements, and go on to create better lives for themselves, then why are they getting priced out of these markets? Why are they not able to afford to live in communities where they have historically had a large demographic presence for decades? Why are they getting poorer, while other minority groups are able to move into these communities and afford to live there?

I've yet to meet a leftist who can explain why trillions of dollars of entitlement programs have not been able to raise the black median income higher, lower the drop out rate, and decrease the single parenthood rate.
Gentrification = less crime.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Really? The benevolent government runs amok looking for black people in order to shower them with 'free stuff' hmm...

40% of SNAP recipients are white, making white people the largest racial group on food stamps. When it comes to TANF recipients, approximately 30% are white, 30% are Latino and 30% are black, with several other racial groups making up the remaining 10% of recipients.
6 welfare myths we all need to stop believing

Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,444,400 times
Default similar to native american reservations?

Quote:

isnt this similar to giving money and benefits to the native americans on the reservations? except the blacks live in subsidized housing [projects] except it's in the cities not on reservations.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:

That's because the insurance companies won't actually allow healthcare that prioritized people over profits and stock prices. Obamacare was meant to be a compromise because Wall Street won't have it any other way. And Wall Street is more important than the people in our political system.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sure it does. It means that a kid who lives in a poor neighborhood and is the child of poor parents can go to a top quality school, using a voucher.
Not exactly. Let's just forget about all of the challenges that said poor kid might face when they get to this new school. But the biggest problem of vouchers is that it treats educational outcomes as an individual solution, not a societal issue.

We can't have a successful economy if not all people can participate successfully. We can't build a society were a lucky few get opportunity. Because the numbers of "lucky" people is on the decline. And that is a problem.

Quote:
If we did public schools properly -- the state funds them, local donations are prohibited, teachers are there to serve their country and therefore don't go on strike, poorest neighborhoods get the most resources in terms of funding and quality of teachers, district is allowed to fire teachers who don't perform well -- then I would be against vouchers. But that's not how public school is implemented. At least not in California.

The African-American mayor of Washington, DC, a Democrat, supports vouchers. (as seen on the TV show "The West Wing" also.)

House set to vote on D.C. voucher plan opposed by Obama - Washington Times

This should say "generally the members of the teachers union don't care about public education, equal access and universal opportunity; instead they care about their pensions and fringe benefits, at the expense of quality resources for students."
Teachers have zero autonomy now. Everything is about teaching to the test. Is there any wonder that overall teacher and educational quality has gone down? No one learns how to use their brains anymore.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,954,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
40% of SNAP recipients are white
30% are black
Whites constitute 70% of the U.S population.

Blacks constitute 13% of the U.S population.

Thanks for helping to prove my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland