Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,945 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback on the Gaylord Suites, located at 620 Jones St.?

I am thinking of spending a month or two there while I relocate to the city. I know that this is technically Nob Hill, but its relatively close to the Tenderloin. How safe would this area be at night for a female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
I'd say keep your wits about you and you'll be OK.
I may have to stay in a hotel/SRO at first when I move there so I might be in the same area of town. I try to avoid being out alone late at night when I can, no matter what area of the city. There are always tourists out and about though so if you stay in well lit areas where there are other people and ignore panhandlers and dope sellers, you should be OK.
We should have a thread for newcomers to San Francisco, maybe we can help eachother out once we get there...Good luck to you.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,105 times
Unless urban city life is completely new to you you'll be ok there. That are is not Nob Hill but rather "Tenderloin Heights." The Tenderloin fades quickly, it's most bad at O'Farrel, better at Geary, Post, Sutter. After Bush you're on Nob Hill.

Main thing is there is a lot of street life in that neighborhood, people coming and going til late at night. restaurants, bars. It's very safe as a result.

The food in that area is great, which should matter if you're staying in a hotel!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,065 times
Default Boston Transplant query re Gaylord Suites

Dear Boston Transplant,

We'll be staying at the GS for the first time May 13-22, so I'll let you know our review when we get back Memorial Day weekend.

Apparently which way you turn out the front door makes a big difference in personal security, or so we've read.

CCJ

Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,065 times
Smile gaylord suites

Dear Boston Transplant,

We enjoyed our stay and I think you'll be satisfied if you stay there. Pleasant rooms, ample closet space,some street noise, but good staff and good location.

I'd suggest not taking Jones St. from Market St. uphill to GS after dark but going around on Taylor to Post and then heading down the half block. I walked home that way alone at around 11 PM at night and it was fine. The location is actually in the Tenderloin NOT in Nob Hill, so you'd encounter some messed-up street people and prostitites down the hill from 620 Jones St.

There are a few things (i.e. how to get the tub faucet on for a tub bath--twisting a small disk on the underside of the spout) for which we had to ask staff help, but otherwise most things were easy with the info in the check-in packet. You can catch the 27 bus almost across the street from GS and get a transfer to any other line on the Muni, so it's well connected to the city's public transportation.

We had a room on the seventh floor street side and really enjoyed the bright space, simple decor, and comfortable bed (and my husband often doesn't sleep well on hotel beds). We'll stay there again.

There is ongoing renovation, but the only nuisance involved is that all water is shut off 10 AM-5 PM every Wednesday.

Have a GREAT time in San Francisco!

Cape Cod Joyce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland