Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I mean there's always been visible homeless in Oakland since I moved here in 2007. The tent cities didn't start popping up until fairly recently though.
In Oakland, that is a little unusual. In Berkeley, they've always come and go periodically. When I went to Berkeley High, that park right across the street and across from the police station was a tent city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:10 PM

245 posts, read 607,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Many, but not all are also fakes in the sense that I would go to get them a cup of water only to be berated and told, I wanted coffee! Or I used to give my leftover food from restaurants until I was berated multiple times about eating used food and being sub-human.
Pot - kettle - black. Homeless are fakes? You are a fake too in that you fake compassion.

Give them water? Homeless can get water in any bathroom or garden hose?. I wouldn't want water either. I was homeless for a few years and simply got water at my health club and kept it in my car or got it at restaurants when I dined out.

Give them leftover used food? LOL. It's a health code violation. Who are you, besides being a cheapskate? Satan?

-----

EDIT: It gets worse for you: just realized you drive a BMW. Yep. That says it all. I see all these BMW drivers on youtube who are arrogant, self-entitled pricks causing accidents and road raging.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
It is a problem daily at work... overnight homeless camps set up and dealing with the trash left behind is part of it...

Last week I picked up on two occasions used syringes just tossed on the ground.

The defecation and urine is another...

Every morning the doorways and sidewalks get washed down with disinfectant.

The police sometimes do pick up people for observation at John George and after getting cleaned up are right back... it is almost like a game because I have been told many times they plan on coming right back and they do.

I'm very much live and let live... but creating a problem is when you have crossed the line.

The local businesses with restrooms have all taken to locking them... it is not using the restroom as it is using the room to take a bath with water everywhere.

The manager was livid because yesterday... the man in the women's restroom smeared feces all over the walls... I saw it.

This kind of stuff never happened when I started working here 25+ years ago.

Adding a security patrol is about 10k per year... least expensive fence bid is over 50k...

Old 08-13-2016, 02:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I noticed a tent right off the Claremont 24 exit. Very unusual. The tents are definitely popping up in more neiggborhoods.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM

153 posts, read 153,831 times
Yes I have noticed.

The lack of good mental healthcare with followup care post crisis in this country is shameful.
It has come back to bite us in the butt in the form jails full of the mentally ill, tent cities, sanitation issues spreading disease and public harassment and fear causing crimes in both directions.

If we took all the tax dollars and public funding we spend on clean up and lock up and used it towards mental heath everyone would be happier, healthier and safer.

Kaiser, UCSF, and Stanford have/are all building brand new hospitals. Check out how many new floors/beds and huge donations has been dedicated to mental health!

Mental health should really be called a neurological problem. More and more we are find it to be a brain structural problem or chemical problem (like diabetes or a thyroid problem).
If we re-categorized it under neurology it would be better covered by insurance and donations.

Then the people who have become homeless because of money/work issues would have avenues open up to them that have been clogged up by the chronically neurologically ill.

Last edited by Protagonista; 08-13-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-13-2016, 05:17 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonista View Post
Yes I have noticed.
The lack of good mental healthcare with followup care post crisis in this country is shameful.
It has come back to bite us in the butt in the form jails full of the mentally ill, tent cities, sanitation issues spreading disease and public harassment and fear causing crimes in both directions.
If we took all the tax dollars and public funding we spend on clean up and lock up and used it towards mental heath everyone would be happier, healthier and safer.
Kaiser, UCSF, and Stanford have/are all building brand new hospitals. Check out how many new floors/beds and huge donations has been dedicated to mental health!
Ignoring this problem has really come back to bite us in the butt here in the bay area (elsewhere also).
The bigger problem is that the mentally ill homeless need services delivered to them where they are, they aren't going to keep appointments at the hospital or clinic and most will not bother to get prescriptions refilled. Psych meds have to be monitored as they frequently need to be adjusted or changed, so those patients need ready access to a health practitioner who can deal with those issues.

The best solution is to provide supportive housing and have a psych tech on duty who can administer and monitor meds, but unfortunately in urban areas there aren't many places available to build housing for the homeless, and for the most part they are not going to be willing to move to the mojave desert so it's a real dilemma maybe we should look at making existing shelters more attractive to the homeless and try to provide mental health care there? As it stands most homeless people avoid shelters except as a last resort, they frequently cite examples of being assaulted or having their property stolen.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM

153 posts, read 153,831 times
2 Sleepy

You and I were typing at the same time. I just edited to add this:

Quote:
Yes I have noticed.

Mental health should really be called a neurological problem. More and more we are find it to be a brain structural problem or chemical problem (like diabetes or a thyroid problem).
If we re-categorized it under neurology it would be better covered by insurance and donations.

Then the people who have become homeless because of money/work issues would have avenues open up to them that have been clogged up by the chronically neurologically ill.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:30 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
2 Sleepy You and I were typing at the same time. I just edited to add this:

Quote:
Yes I have noticed.
I completely agree!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:54 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I noticed a tent right off the Claremont 24 exit. Very unusual.
Wow.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The bigger problem is that the mentally ill homeless need services delivered to them where they are, they aren't going to keep appointments at the hospital or clinic and most will not bother to get prescriptions refilled. Psych meds have to be monitored as they frequently need to be adjusted or changed, so those patients need ready access to a health practitioner who can deal with those issues.

The best solution is to provide supportive housing and have a psych tech on duty who can administer and monitor meds, but unfortunately in urban areas there aren't many places available to build housing for the homeless, and for the most part they are not going to be willing to move to the mojave desert so it's a real dilemma maybe we should look at making existing shelters more attractive to the homeless and try to provide mental health care there? As it stands most homeless people avoid shelters except as a last resort, they frequently cite examples of being assaulted or having their property stolen.
The only way mental health care works is when it is mandate and forced upon those that are needed, which has been found unconstitutional. The medical and mental health services are available to those that need it, just unless you are a danger to yourself or others it is optional. Most people prefer to be homeless and self medicate than get treatment and take drugs that dull you even if that means being in a shelter.

Dealing with mental health issues is very challenging, but he had a time in this country when forced mental health care was common and it was not a pretty sight to those put into the system. Of course that is of little consequence for the majority of individuals because the suffering is not felt by them and the suffering that is happening is going on out of sight; which is why so many think it is a good idea to go back to such system. For decades, gays, women, elderly, the different and political opponents were put into mental facilities to suffer from experimental procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland