Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 06:24 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

I want something done to help the ones that are already here, but Ive noticed a sharp rise in visible homeless in the past year or two. WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
It's been that way since 2013 imo.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I want something done to help the ones that are already here, but Ive noticed a sharp rise in visible homeless in the past year or two. WTF?
Plot your noticeable rise in homeless sightings vs. housing costs and evictions over time, and I imagine you'll see a very high correlation.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:48 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Homeless tent camps sprouting all over Oakland - San Francisco Chronicle

Old 08-03-2016, 09:04 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Homeless people flock to California in general, but especially the Bay Area because local politics allow them to setup camps everywhere, get high in public, get drunk in public etc.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Homeless people flock to California in general, but especially the Bay Area because local politics allow them to setup camps everywhere, get high in public, get drunk in public etc.
The majority of homeless people formerly resided in the same City they are currently homeless in. Very few homeless people have the resources that would allow them to travel about the US looking for the ideal place to spend their life sleeping on a sidewalk

Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The majority of homeless people formerly resided in the same City they are currently homeless in. Very few homeless people have the resources that would allow them to travel about the US looking for the ideal place to spend their life sleeping on a sidewalk
That's not true, many homeless are not from the cities they currently live in. Many flock to California because of the pro-homeless laws/programs, weather, city structure, heck even homeless culture in California is known throughout the country etc. There are cities who actually have bought homeless people one way tickets to anywhere in the continental US. Furthermore, have you ever been on Greyhound? Homeless people use it quite frequently. I think the latest statistics showed only 50% of homeless in San Francisco are actually natives.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
That's not true, many homeless are not from the cities they currently live in. Many flock to California because of the pro-homeless laws/programs, weather, city structure etc. There are cities who actually have bought homeless people one way tickets to anywhere in the continental US. Furthermore, have you ever been on Greyhound? Homeless people use it quite frequently.
Your evidence sounds anecdotal and heavily confirmation bias-laden. I've read stats showing that most homeless in cities (including SF) formerly resided in the city they are currently homeless in - do you have any statistics that support your statements?

By the way, the key word here is "majority" - sure, some homeless might have come from somewhere else, but we're talking about the majority of homeless here.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 AM

95 posts, read 82,602 times
Life sometimes be too harsh

everyone must help each other as much as possible

They should not ignore these poor even if the assistant is very simple one dollar a pack or water or juice or a piece of clothing

It is important that you should contribute any thing

Today you live comfortable but does not guarantee tomorrow, what will happen to you

That good works will come back to you one day and certainly this base in the life

Old 08-04-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasserbbk View Post
Life sometimes be too harsh

everyone must help each other as much as possible

They should not ignore these poor even if the assistant is very simple one dollar a pack or water or juice or a piece of clothing

It is important that you should contribute any thing

Today you live comfortable but does not guarantee tomorrow, what will happen to you

That good works will come back to you one day and certainly this base in the life
San Francisco already uses more than $100 million in tax payers money to help homeless people. Many, not all, but many are addicted to drugs and will never be helped unless maybe they re sent to prison where they are forced to become clean. Many, but not all are also fakes in the sense that I would go to get them a cup of water only to be berated and told, I wanted coffee! Or I used to give my leftover food from restaurants until I was berated multiple times about eating used food and being sub-human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland