Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, you think Silicon Valley transit is not sufficient and therefore no one should use it.

But all of this is really off topic for the thread. The thread says BAY AREA not necessarily Silicon Valley.

I personally love Silicon Valley. I would never move to Sacramento. But if you prefer San Francisco to Silicon Valley, you can substitute San Francisco in your mind whenever I say Silicon Valley in this thread. We're supposed to be talking about which is preferable between Sacramento and The Bay Area. Silicon Valley is one part of the Bay Area. There are other parts.
I never suggested that, that's your own bizarre interpretation of the facts I showed. I wish more people there used it. I wish it wasn't so crappy that more middle and upper middle class people got out of their cars used it. But alas, in its current state that is not the case.

Well I sure wouldn't call SF dull, lifeless, suburban, etc.. nor does it have nearly as bad PT so I wouldn't say the same things at all about both places and neither would any sane person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
London Telegraph is quoting this list from Forbes and places the Bay Area (including Silicon Valley) as the 10th most influential city in the world, alongside London and Paris.

In pictures: the ten most influential cities in the world according to Forbes - Telegraph

Most sites which make these lists are not credible and are just basing them on tourist attractions etc. which is why I didn't list any of them before. The London Telegraph is very credible, though.
Well yes when you include SF, Silicon Valley on it's own though? Absolutely not. Outside of tech it's literally nothing worth noting. Just the next 56 exits off the freeway.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well yes when you include SF, Silicon Valley on it's own though? Absolutely not. Outside of tech it's literally nothing worth noting. Just the next 56 exits off the freeway.
They said the Bay Area is in the top 10 because of the tech industry. The home of the tech industry is Silicon Valley.

They're integrated together, man. One of the benefits of San Francisco is access to Silicon Valley, and one of the benefits of Silicon Valley is the tourist attractions in San Francisco. Not to mention the wineries in Napa. I guess, by your logic, Napa has no culture, since their economy revolves around the wineries.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I can count on one of my hands the number of times I've "visited" Silicon Valley since I moved to the Bay Area in 2007. LOL @ being a "tourist attraction"

Old 08-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
They said the Bay Area is in the top 10 because of the tech industry. The home of the tech industry is Silicon Valley.

They're integrated together, man. One of the benefits of San Francisco is access to Silicon Valley, and one of the benefits of Silicon Valley is the tourist attractions in San Francisco. Not to mention the wineries in Napa. I guess, by your logic, Napa has no culture, since their economy revolves around the wineries.
Economic wise sure, everything outside of that like culture no.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:53 PM

The last time I went to San Jose was to visit VTA headquarters a few days in a row. Even their transit agency HQ is located in the middle of auto-oriented suburban office park wasteland next to a country orchard.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:54 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Quote:

I can get to Napa faster from my house in Sac than you can from the South Bay (and without a toll), does Sac have culture now?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:56 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Um London and Paris are not in North America lol.

Culture, vibrancy, urbanity, etc...for starters

You don't even know what cities are on those lists, you just assume based on your wishful thinking that San Jose is on the level of Paris.

And again since you want to give credit to those studies in the Brookings article, then here is what cities San Jose ranks with according the GaWC:

Valencia (SP), Glasgow, San Jose (US), San Juan, Marseille, Cincinnatti, Guadalajara, Leeds, Baku, Tallinn, Vilnius, Colombo, Raleigh, Ankara, Belfast, Milwaukee, Muscat, Ljubljana
Wow Guadalajara? That's pretty bad.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Economic wise sure,
That's all that Brookings was saying, but you disputed them.

Quote:
everything outside of that like culture no.
Again, what do we supposedly lack?

Universities? Nope. Stanford, Santa Clara University, San Jose State University.

Museums? Nope. We have the San Jose Museum of Art, the Cantor Arts Center, a Beethoven museum, the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, the Computer History Museum, the Tech Museum of Innovation, etc.
San Jose Museum of Art | See what you think.
KALEID Gallery | A gallery of fine art, limited editions and creative gifts
Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies | San Jose State University
Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University

Live theater? Nope. We have the San Jose Convention Center, the San Jose Repertory Theater, the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts, Silicon Valley Shakespeare, etc. https://www.svshakespeare.org/

Comedy? Nope. Off the top of my head, comedysportz at the Camera theater on 2nd, the Improv and Rooster T. Feathers. Many others.

Ballet? Nope. There's Silicon Valley Ballet and I'm sure some of the suburbs in Silicon Valley have their own ballet companies. Silicon Valley Ballet

Symphony? Nope. We have Symphony Silicon Valley. https://www.symphonysiliconvalley.org/

Opera? That's covered too. Opera San Jose | San Jose, California

Night life? covered. Night Life - Downtown San Jose: Silicon Valley's City Center

Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The last time I went to San Jose was to visit VTA headquarters a few days in a row. Even their transit agency HQ is located in the middle of auto-oriented suburban office park wasteland next to a country orchard.
I'm not sure how it can be "auto-oriented" when there is a light rail station right next to it (River Oaks Light Rail Station). There are also a couple of large apartment complexes right there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland