Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Transit in Silicon Valley is terrible:

"A quarter of a century ago, Santa Clara County's first light-rail train left the station as excited supporters heralded a new wave of state-of-the-art transportation to match the region's burgeoning high-tech industry.

But there was no grand celebration this month as Silicon Valley marked 25 years of light rail.

The near-empty trolleys that often shuttle by at barely faster than jogging speeds serve as a constant reminder that the car is still king in Silicon Valley -- and that the Valley Transportation Authority's trains are among the least successful in the nation by any metric. Today, fewer than 1 percent of the county's residents ride the trains daily, while it costs the rest of the region -- taxpayers at large -- about $10 to subsidize every rider's round trip."

25 years later, VTA light rail among the nation's worst - Mercury News
I remember when it opened. We had a field trip to ride the light rail. The initial line didn't even go to downtown San Jose. It did go to Great America. So for a pre-teen it was amazing. The light rail stop was one block from my house and went straight to Great America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 09:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Says a guy who never uses it.

I love laughing at the losers sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, GOING THE SAME ROUTE AS ME, as I blow past them at 55 mph on Light Rail in the median of highway 87.

Half the people in New York City don't own a car. The other half claim that the subway is terrible. Except it isn't.
NYC subway coverage is pretty extensive in Manhattan and is faster then the surface options. Transit in the Bay is limited and takes longer than most other modes. BART from most of the east bay to downtown SF during the commute hours is an exception that it is faster than driving. Our transit is rarely more efficient than driving and as a result usage is low. Secondly densities are too low to provide frequent transit. A bus that runs once an hour and takes an hour to go 3-4 miles is not effective transit.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,017 times
I ride light rail nearly every day. Like BART, CalTrain or the New York City Subway, it is far from perfect. But if you use it well it works great. People are just not familiar with where transit goes or how it can benefit them.

For example, people will say "I want to go from my job at Cisco to my house in south San Jose." And the only solution they consider is driving...but light rail goes that exact same route. And it has Wi-Fi. I see that kind of discussion on here all the time.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
NYC subway coverage is pretty extensive in Manhattan and is faster then the surface options.
People in NYC who drive would disagree, though. I'm sure people who actually ride the subway would agree with you, and I think it's probably true. But a lot of people just think transit is beneath them.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:45 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Personally if it wasn't for family and friends I wouldn't live here. Too expensive for what you get and a congested rat race overall.
^^^ This ^^^

Old 08-08-2016, 09:52 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Look at my edit, San Jose isn't even on Denver's level lol.

Apple isn't even based in San Jose either! Maybe bland Cupertino should be a beta city instead.
Ah, yes. Cupertino is so bland, as you put it, that no one wants to live there. That's why housing prices cratered over the course of the last 20 years.

[/sarcasm]

Old 08-08-2016, 09:55 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
I did already.

https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...San_Jose-3.pdf

https://hbr.org/2014/12/what-still-m...ley-so-special

Empire of the geeks | The Economist

Concentrated Economic Power and Silicon Valley

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-s...er-john-mathon

Silicon Valley has a chance to influence cyber security policy: column

I guess if you're not familiar with world politics and finance you might think that Silicon Valley is some backwater place that has no influence, but most who know anything about the subject would disagree.
No you didn't. I asked for RANKINGS, as in showing how Silicon Valley ranks in comparison to other cities. Since you seem to think San Jose is up there with London, Tokyo, NYC, etc... then provide a LIST of RANKINGS showing that.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Says a guy who never uses it.

I love laughing at the losers sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, GOING THE SAME ROUTE AS ME, as I blow past them at 55 mph on Light Rail in the median of highway 87.

Half the people in New York City don't own a car. The other half claim that the subway is terrible. Except it isn't.
Neither do 99% of the residents of Silicon Valley.

I do use transit daily for work though FYI.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Ah, yes. Cupertino is so bland, as you put it, that no one wants to live there. That's why housing prices cratered over the course of the last 20 years.

[/sarcasm]
I never suggested no one wants to live there. There are good paying jobs nearby so of course people want, or need to, live close to where they work. Doesn't make it any less bland though.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
No you didn't. I asked for RANKINGS, as in showing how Silicon Valley ranks in comparison to other cities. Since you seem to think San Jose is up there with London, Tokyo, NYC, etc... then provide a LIST of RANKINGS showing that.
So you would say that the Brookings Institute is not credible? The Economist is not credible? Harvard Business Review is not credible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland