Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,090 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently found a new spot I was excited about. However, the landlord also the owner of the house is making me feel uneasy. I've already signed a "lease" it's a month to month agreement and handed over a security deposit.

One of the examples was there was another tenant suppose to move into a different room. When that tenant bailed, he asked if I would take the other bedroom for the same rent, so he wouldn't have to move his stuff. Keep in mind, I was renting the master bed/bath with a walk in closet. The other room is standard size with a shared bath and normal closet. The two don't even compare. Plus I am not growing found of his personality through our interactions.

Our agreement we signed has no cancellation clause. It does mention the below statement:

"DEPOSITS
Security Deposit. The Tenant shall pay the sum of $1450 (the “Security Deposit”) to the
Landlord as a security deposit at the time this Lease is signed by the parties.
The Landlord will hold the Security Deposit for the fulfillment of the Tenant’s obligations under
this Lease, pursuant to applicable laws or regulations. The Landlord shall return the full amount
of the Security Deposit to the Tenant, less any amounts deducted for any authorized purpose, in
such a manner as mandated by applicable laws or regulations."

Can I legally ask for this back before move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,090 times
I found this. Is this legitimate? Seems like I can ask for it back?

http://www.lsnc.net/lawhelp/eviction...acket_6-07.pdf
A: All deposits you pay to a landlord are refundable. There is no such thing as a “nonrefundable”
security deposit. It does not matter what the landlord called the funds—a key deposit,
cleaning fee, move-in fee, carpet fee, closing costs, last month’s rent, etc., because all money you pay
other than your first month’s rent is refundable. Even if you sign a rental agreement that includes a
section about a “non-refundable” deposit, you are still entitled to a security deposit refund because the
section is invalid.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
California law specifically allows the landlord to use a tenant's security deposit for four purposes:
For unpaid rent;
For cleaning the rental unit when the tenant moves out, but only to make the unit as clean as it was when the tenant first moved in;214
For repair of damages, other than normal wear and tear, caused by the tenant or the tenant's guests; and
If the lease or rental agreement allows it, for the cost of restoring or replacing furniture, furnishings, or other items of personal property (including keys), other than because of normal wear and tear.215

Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
I'd tell him that you take the other room at the same RATE : sq. footage of the master BR + master bath (the 'private space') compared to the sq. footage of the other room. If he doesn't want to do that, then tell him to give you your money back. If he won't give you your money back, tell him you are going to sue him (and that you'll use a lawyer who will only get paid if you win, so it isn't going to cost YOU anything).

Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
You're legally entitled to your security deposit whether or not you've moved in. If you have changed your mind, tell him that you don't want the room he's offering and signed the lease under false pretenses. Security deposits are only allowed to be used for cleaning and if someone happens to bail on the rest of the lease term (and owner cannot find a replacement tenant ((even then they cannot legally keep the entire deposit--only the remainder of the cost of what was owed)). If he refuses or gives you a difficult time, small claims court will be your option. I had to take a landlord to court over this before (not returning my deposit) and have had friends do the same. In every case I've known, the tenant wins the battle. I am also a landlord and have these legalities memorized.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:04 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I don't get it. He offered you the master bath suite, which you agreed to, then tried to convince you to take a completely different unit? But....is the master br no longer available? Why can't you simply proceed as planned and take the bigger room? Is he suddenly balking at that? Or is he currently occupying the master br, and doesn't want to move out of it?

Weird, OP. If you're getting a weird vibe from this guy, best to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland