Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much should you have to pay for a house?
Zero. I think I should be given a house and others should subsidize me because I'm entitled. 8 18.60%
1-100K. I think I deserve 1970's pricing 0 0%
101K -250K. I should pay 1980's pricing 3 6.98%
251K-500K. I like 1990's pricing 6 13.95%
501K -1 Million. I missed out on the crash. I deserve a do over. 9 20.93%
over 1 Million (median price). The market should dictate the price. 17 39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:58 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, it is a normal living enviornment in this area. They each have a room to themselves, so they can invite overnight guests and have privacy. What's the problem?

Lol I just looked it up at Stanford's web site, apparently their residents only make 60k. Surprising. Well, the software engineer who lives there probably makes 100k. And 60k is still a good salary that will get you a nice room in an apartment, as we see in the listing.
The listing had a college student and a resident physician(in training). Nothing wrong with living like a student if you are one or recently graduated.You on the other hand are a middle age man and if you don't understand that 5+ people in a 1000 square foot apartment is not conducive to "socializing" (euphemism here) than I think I figured out why you don't do so well with the ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 01:35 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
Quote:
Just like San Francisco, it has areas that are more dense and areas of less density. But San Jose is still the largest city in the Bay Area and the capital of Silicon Valley.

Silicon Valley Leadership Group is based in San Jose.
Citation? I was not aware of San Jose having any authority or electorate over the rest of Silicon Valley.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 AM

1,099 posts, read 900,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
That's just it. We should only have to pay market prices if we have a natural free market. We don't. In a natural free market there would be no artificial restrictions to building more housing as the developers would just keep building more unlimited units until the supply met demand.
I can't say it's not amusing watching you try to twist things with your contradictory logic. First you say you agree that people should pay market price, and then you try to change the market. Sorry, you can't have it both ways. The market is the market. And in SF, that comes with zoning restrictions, like it or not. That was your first mistake. Your second mistake is thinking your theory was correct by claiming that: 1) You could create an unlimited supply of housing (you can't), and 2) there was a point with the finite group of housing units you could create that would satisfy demand (it won't). And then you (and many others) start creating even more problems with claims that you could somehow clean up the infrastructure to a point that it would satisfy this outrageous demand and wave your magic wand and everything would be just fine (it won't).

I often hear people claim that we need to be more like Manhattan or Hong Kong, and yet what are prices of housing and rents like in these cities where the buildings scrape the sky? What is traffic like? What is the environment like? The temperament of the citizens? It's no different than the scientific experiment when you keep adding rats to the maze. There is congestion everywhere, the people display aggressive behavior, and the rents and housing prices are sky high. Surprise, surprise. It's exactly what the majority don't want.

And none of these silly suggestions will amount to a hill of beans because they are simply short term fixes but in no way a solution. Here's a short term fix that wouldn't involve any building or changing up on infrastructure...get rid of rent control. That would instantly free up something like 75% of the units available for rent (roughly 45% of the housing stock in the city). That would certainly (temporarily) bring the cost of rents down. With a glut of almost 200,000 units released in the market, certainly landlords couldn't all demand the current $3600 median price for one bedroom apartments and the like. But of course that would displace all those people that were benefiting from being in their apartments from anywhere from 10-30 years, but I'm sure there is a faction out there that would love it and say "too bad" to those people. Btw, that wouldn't include me. I think rent control is BS, but you don't go and put a policy in place like that and then throw people out just because a bunch of angry people are mad that got here during a boom time and things are tough for them. A more practical and less heartless way of going about it would be to end it but grandfather in the people that were currently benefiting from it. Then you can have your free market on rents.

As for housing, a way to temporarily free up some units would obviously be to get rid of Prop 13 (oh boy, I hear all the envious ones cheering at that suggestion). That way you could also heartlessly displace a bunch of elders on fixed incomes because the thought that anyone would want predictable and stable property taxes is so outrageous. So now you've thrown out the elderly and lower middle class, and you temporarily have another glut in the marketplace (you must be so proud). So now let's crank those property taxes up to 3-4% like New Jersey and have a party!

The fact of the matter is, the only things that will get prices to plummet to the point that some of the whiners on this board will be happy is for SF to stop being prosperous, or you simply allow no one else in (and then you could make an impact with your finite building). Everything else is simply a silly little pipe dream that will temporarily fix things but over the long term won't amount to a hill of beans.

With that said, let's see what Carnac the Magnificent has to say...

Carnac puts envelope to head and says "2.5 million"

Carnac: The price of houses in San Francisco 20 years from now and the amount of people whining that prices are too damn high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wzA2A2T1Q

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 08-27-2016 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The listing had a college student and a resident physician(in training). Nothing wrong with living like a student if you are one or recently graduated.You on the other hand are a middle age man and if you don't understand that 5+ people in a 1000 square foot apartment is not conducive to "socializing" (euphemism here) than I think I figured out why you don't do so well with the ladies.
I guess I can't figure it out because when I lived in downtown San Jose, my roommates brought women home all the time. For the listing you're talking about, the college student is going back to college later in life; he works in tech. The other roommate was a software engineer. This is just the normal way people live in the Bay Area if they make less than the median income for the area.

That doctor might be closer to my age.

"The median and mode ages are likely still close to 26 (18+4 of college+4 of med school), though the mean age is probably higher b/c of the rightward skew to the distribution (there's a hell of a lot more 30 year olds than 22 year olds graduating med school. Much less 34 vs 18) "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thre...idency.897036/

Here's another one shared by engineers -- already graduated from college -- one in their late 20s, the other in their early 30s. This is in Silicon Valley.

Upstairs Bedroom with Office/Bonus Room In Large Sunnyvale Home

Another example, this time outside of Silicon Valley, in South San Francisco.

Great room renovated house SSF suit tech worker

Here's a listing where a guy who has a married couple in their 30s as roommates is looking to sublet his room while he is away and traveling.

Large room in Mission. Close to transport links

Again, the only problem I see here is you being out of touch with how people live in the area. I guess you make 200k and own a home in San Francisco. People who make under 100k share housing. In some areas people share apartments even if they do make the median income, just to save money. Regardless of age. What, do you think someone turns 25 and magically starts making over 100k so they can afford an apartment in the Bay Area all to themselves? Maybe that happened for you, but it doesn't happen for everyone.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 08-27-2016 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Citation? I was not aware of San Jose having any authority or electorate over the rest of Silicon Valley.
Why do you need a citation? Do you know what the Silicon Valley Leadership Group is??? They were originally known as Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group, but changed their name since most of the manufacturing (not all) is done outside of the valley now. They are the industry association for tech companies. Since San Jose has the most tech companies, the logical place to form such a group was there in San Jose.

San Jose, CA - Official Website - World Center of Technology

Companies like Adobe, Apple, Cisco and Intel are members. Twitter is not a member, as they are not in Silicon Valley. Texas Instruments and IBM are members, despite not being based in Silicon Valley, because they do a lot of research at offices in Silicon Valley. IBM invented the hard disk drive in San Jose.

Silicon Valley Leadership Group Member Companies

(click on a letter underneath "The Silicon Valley Leadership Group currently includes more than 400 member organizations and continues to expand every year" to see a list of member companies whose name starts with that letter.)

edit: as far as legal authority, as I said, San Jose is the county seat. Also see here:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/dpd/Pla.../Pages/GP.aspx

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/dpd/Pages/DPD.aspx

Last edited by neutrino78x; 08-27-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Why do you need a citation? Do you know what the Silicon Valley Leadership Group is??? They were originally known as Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group, but changed their name since most of the manufacturing (not all) is done outside of the valley now. They are the industry association for tech companies. Since San Jose has the most tech companies, the logical place to form such a group was there in San Jose.

San Jose, CA - Official Website - World Center of Technology

Companies like Adobe, Apple, Cisco and Intel are members. Twitter is not a member, as they are not in Silicon Valley. Texas Instruments and IBM are members, despite not being based in Silicon Valley, because they do a lot of research at offices in Silicon Valley. IBM invented the hard disk drive in San Jose.

Silicon Valley Leadership Group Member Companies

(click on a letter underneath "The Silicon Valley Leadership Group currently includes more than 400 member organizations and continues to expand every year" to see a list of member companies whose name starts with that letter.)

edit: as far as legal authority, as I said, San Jose is the county seat. Also see here:

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/dpd/Pla.../Pages/GP.aspx

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/dpd/Pages/DPD.aspx
None of that points to San Jose being the 'capital' of Silicon Valley.
It's a drive-through, flyover town. (In your words)

Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
None of that points to San Jose being the 'capital' of Silicon Valley.
It's a drive-through, flyover town. (In your words)
Maybe you need to read it again. The industry group is based in San Jose and San Jose has the most tech companies. It is the largest city in the region, larger than San Francisco. it is the tenth largest city in the United States. World leaders come here to Silicon Valley for advice on how they can advance their own economy. That's exactly the opposite of a flyover city. People fly TO Silicon Valley, not over it. This is one of the regions where things actually happen. Technologies invented here changed the world and continue to change the world.

And I thought you said you are this rich wealthy guy? Why would you be complaining about the cost of a single family home in an excellent school district in Silicon Valley? Supposedly that is something you can afford.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe you need to read it again. The industry group is based in San Jose and San Jose has the most tech companies. It is the largest city in the region, larger than San Francisco. it is the tenth largest city in the United States. World leaders come here to Silicon Valley for advice on how they can advance their own economy. That's exactly the opposite of a flyover city. People fly TO Silicon Valley, not over it. This is one of the regions where things actually happen. Technologies invented here changed the world and continue to change the world.

And I thought you said you are this rich wealthy guy? Why would you be complaining about the cost of a single family home in an excellent school district in Silicon Valley? Supposedly that is something you can afford.
I read it again, no where did I see that San Jose is the capital of Silicon Valley.
That's as moronic as those claims that people make of which "New York is the Captial of the World".

San Jose is not one of the busiest airports in the country. Not by a long shot.

... and who said I was a rich wealthy guy?
I do okay.
You're the one always talking about a 'single family home in an excellent school district'.

I'd probably rather have a condo or townhouse than the house I own, but newsflash- the price for square foot is HIGHER in a lot of highrises.

But if SFH is what people want, so be it. Do they have a 'right', absolutely not- should they be able to on median income, sure. You reach a point where that's not easily feasible though.

Striving to achieve a sub-middle class lifestyle in San Jose, California is just sad.
I'd just move.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,221 times
I am not a transplant I was born in Fremont and raised in san Jose. I don't work in tech my wife and I make a middle class income. $85k last year.d bought a house in the east bay in 2011 by myself a 4 bed 2 bath for $315k. Ten years ago I thought I would never own a house in the bay area but I still saved my money. I just refinanced and my house is appraised at $600k I have no other debt. We both drive cars over 10 years old. I have never owned a new car. We have managed to save enough money that we could just pay off our house if we wanted to. I put money in a 401k and will get a pension when i retire. I grew up lower middle class or poor my parents never owned a home and we always lived hand the mouth. I decided long ago I would not have children because I didn't want to subject my children to growing up poor. My house payment is $1429 a month which is cheaper than a studio in my town.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Oh look O4kL4nD has yelled squirrel and expects me to take the bait. Sorry, you're off topic and quite frankly on an absurdly ridiculous tangent. I'll be happy to eviscerate your argument but you're not going to derail this thread with your nonsense.

A straw man argument attempts to counter a position by attacking a different position – usually one that is easier to counter. The arguer invents a caricature of his opponent’s position – a “straw man” – that is easily refuted, but not the position that his opponent actually holds.

We're talking about housing here. If you would like to start your own thread on this topic, I would be more than happy to address it. Of course, you will have to find a different forum since it doesn't belong in the SF forum. But shoot me a PM and the link and I'll be happy to respond to it (can't be more reasonable than that). I'm going to stay on topic here (one you apparently can't directly retort with any logic).
Translation: you've made a valid and salient point, but it makes me look bad so I'm going to dismiss it. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland