Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Colin Kaepernick's motivation for his protest?
He's very much concerned about the country and how racial discrimination is effecting it 41 32.80%
It is a cry for attention as he's about to become irrelevant and he knows it. 50 40.00%
He feels the team won't cut him now because they're scared of the backlash, thereby taking away attention from his poor play. 22 17.60%
Other 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree he has every right to do protest this way but he is still a spoiled brat that showed disrespect for our country. As for others following him, this is not surprising, they are few and far between. Let me ask you, what about all those who did not jump on his bandwagon? I certainly would hope you are bright enough to understand what I meant when I said sitting on his ass.

Of course you were comparing him to Ali and Robinson or would not have mentioned it at all.
I disagree he "is a spoiled brat." But as I said before, your opinion is yours to hold, of course.

That said, I repeat: whether CK is a "spoiled brat" or not has nothing to do with the validity of his protest. And those following him are hardly "Few and far between." The protest is snowballing. Read the news, nita. As for those not following? What of it? To each their own. Huge numbers are voicing support even though they choose to stand for the anthem - including the POTUS and AG and legions of veterans and other sports figures. Again: read the news, nita. Perhaps you are listening to AM talk radio?

And no, I didn't compare CK to Robinson and Ali except in response. Go back and read my post. That said, taking it from there and here, I wouldn't particularly compare him to Robinson. But somewhat to Ali, yes. And what I wrote with regard to your own objection to any comparison to Ali stands: Ali wasn't born a Muslim nor did he voice commitment to that faith throughout his youth until he converted. He stood up for his beliefs after his personal epiphany as a young adult. Yet you deny this transformative process could be valid for CK. Phbbbt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:19 AM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I think the "cry for (personal) attention" vote is absurd. Do people really believe this, or is it just a mechanism for casting aspersions upon his character?

The simplest answer is the most likely: His disillusionment reached a breaking point, he felt he had nothing to lose (after all, he wanted a trade), so he chose to make a bold and controversial statement to draw attention to a cause.
Uh, yes. People clearly do believe that and you've been supplied with the reasoning why throughout this thread (whether you choose to accept it or not). That's the great thing about freedom of speech. People can voice out their viewpoint and you can voice out yours. Hope that answers your question.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM

406 posts, read 288,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nonsense in every respect.
that flyswatter of yours...

Old 09-19-2016, 05:42 AM

Colin Kaepernick and the Question of Who Gets to Be Called a ‘Patriot’

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/ma...riot.html?_r=0

And, btw:
Quote:
Kaepernick has found plenty of support. His red No.7 jersey is currently the N.F.L. store’s top seller;

Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Colin Kaepernick and the Question of Who Gets to Be Called a ‘Patriot’

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/ma...riot.html?_r=0

And, btw:
He had to do something to make up for his gameplay and rake in every last dollar he can get before he is canned next season.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
He had to do something to make up for his gameplay and rake in every last dollar he can get before he is canned next season.
Uh-huh. And is that why so many other players are joining him in the protest? They are all on their way out and trying to rake in the bucks? Which bucks a number of them are also committing to supporting the related causes by the millions of dollars?

Thanks for your careful thought and analysis.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Uh-huh. And is that why so many other players are joining him in the protest? They are all on their way out and trying to rake in the bucks? Which bucks a number of them are also committing to supporting the related causes by the millions of dollars?

Thanks for your careful thought and analysis.
We live in the age of sheep...

Sort of like how one person uses the word, "YASSSSSS" followed by every millennial in the country making food memes with YASSSSSSSS or changing the phrase "on point" to now "on fleek"

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
We live in the age of sheep...

Sort of like how one person uses the word, "YASSSSSS" followed by every millennial in the country making food memes with YASSSSSSSS or changing the phrase "on point" to now "on fleek"
Humans have always been herd-like. Yes. There's nothing new or different about this age we live in today.

And your point pertains also to the very mindless jingoistic faux patriotism you exhibit and as is expressly discussed in the article I linked - which post you are responding to but almost certainly didn't read. It flays your very comment specifically. Too funny.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree he has every right to do protest this way but he is still a spoiled brat that showed disrespect for our country. As for others following him, this is not surprising, they are few and far between. Let me ask you, what about all those who did not jump on his bandwagon? I certainly would hope you are bright enough to understand what I meant when I said sitting on his ass.

Of course you were comparing him to Ali and Robinson or would not have mentioned it at all.
If I had to pick athletes that I thought were spoiled brats, Kaepernick would not be anywhere near the top ten. For the year 2016, I would definitely put Hope Solo and Ryan Lochte on that list. They were disrespectful not only to Americans, but to the entire world with their behavior. CK has behaved with class by comparison.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times
Oh so glad to see this poll did not go the way I expected. One would have expected a fake chorus of overly PC voices crying out "Kaep is a solider of social justice and is putting the good of others above himself by his actions"

How reassuring to know many sports fans in SF have a sense of perspective and more importantly know this player well.

Colin Kaep is a player whose career is fading in SF. Once known for his athletic abilities, the speed at which he outrun defenders was quite impressive for a time. Until opposing teams saw there was very little else he could do as a QB. His read progression of receivers is one of the worst in the NFL. In effect if he can not pick out a receiver the first time , there is really no chance he can stand in the pocket, like a Brady or other top QBs, and review other passing options. The very thing that makes football intriguing to watch is where Kaep has failed and from all accounts is not getting any better in that dept.

Blaine Gabbert the starting QB in SF is nearly as athletic as Keap but truly outshines him in other areas , such as leadership, analytical ability, focus and just has more weapons at his disposal. Kaep in many ways finds himself as a veteran of several seasons now taking a back seat to a new and better QB. This must be a hard pill to swallow.

Getting back to the poll, most voted as myself did for the second option of "he is getting irrelevant and did this for attention". The problem with Kaep was he is just a naturally reserved almost insular personality. Even under Harbaugh, remember those pouty tightlipped press conferences where he would seem like he was being unfairly tortured by the most simple of qsts. Well it became obvious he has no real charisma or personality to speak of. Easy in this case to get pushed to the corner and ignored as he does not seem interested in developing a broad base of appeal.

Kaep all in all just does not seem very intelligent. A dour and dull persona who has the same way about him as a prisoner in one of those "Lockup" programs on the Discovery Channel. Similar blank look and slow almost childish manner of speaking of how everything is against him.

Now the niners will find it difficult to drop Kaep immediately. Predictably he will call foul if they do. There goes his 19m bucks per year. So expect a pathetic response of "ya can't express your views on human rights violations in this country and then they will fire you for it". What a public relations nightmare for SF now as even some diehard fans are deciding to sit this season out and maybe come back when things die down with the protest stuff. We all feel peeved. Football was one place we could escape the politics of everyday living. That is all gone now. The fun is over with. Even watching some games last week and it just does not seem the same anymore. Will we find more players hijacking situations for their own vanity. Are these players not getting paid well enough to not behave like thugs.

From this month forward, let us all keep track on Keap and see where his true intentions lie. The world is now watching Colin. Lets hear about what work you do outside of football for your "cause". What panel discussions will he be on to debate his stand on race issues. What work he will actually do in Black areas to address race issues.

We all want more of a hum and a haw and a canned response he got from looking at the BLM website. Though I am sure behind the scenes Kaep might be joking with his homies " no way in heck they touching my money, no way now "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland