Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:01 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,742 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what nurses are getting paid in the Bay area. Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 35,203 times
Hi there. I just moved here about a yr ago (from southern CA). New grads make about mid 30's per hour and will make just about 40 or a little over that
after the first yr. I have about 11 yrs experience and earn 50 point something per hr. Night shift differentials vary from 16 to 20 % of your base rate. Most of the hospitals in the city are unionized and have competetive rates (w/ only a dollar or so difference in the variability of their rates.) I work at UCSF and am loving it...you can also check out the CA forum in allnurses.com. Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romsy View Post
Hi there. I just moved here about a yr ago (from southern CA). New grads make about mid 30's per hour and will make just about 40 or a little over that
after the first yr. I have about 11 yrs experience and earn 50 point something per hr. Night shift differentials vary from 16 to 20 % of your base rate. Most of the hospitals in the city are unionized and have competetive rates (w/ only a dollar or so difference in the variability of their rates.) I work at UCSF and am loving it...you can also check out the CA forum in allnurses.com. Hope this helps.
Hey romsy, thanks for the info. Know anything about LPN salaries? And where do you live in relationship to where you work? I keep hearing bay area traffic is a nightmare!!

Last edited by jeweloflight; 11-30-2006 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Default Nurses

My best friend is an RN here in the Bay Area, and she makes about what the last poster said... but on holidays and certain shifts she can make over $45/hour! She has 5+ years of experience, and recently got her master's in nursing education. Anyway, she lives comfortably on her salary alone, and bought a really nice 1-bedroom condo a few years ago. There's a real nursing shortage around here, so I'm pretty sure jobs are plentiful too.

Regarding your traffic question, my friend works about 15 miles from where she lives... for her it's not an issue, since she's usually on from 6am-2pm, or 1pm-9pm. If you're commuting during rush hour, then yes, it can be a real nightmare. It does sometimes depend on where you're going, and which direction you travel. But thank goodness my job also has "odd" hours, because I can't handle bumper-to-bumper every day!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 35,203 times
I don't know exactly how much LVN's make. I work both at UCSF and Kaiser (in SF) and I know that both hospitals are phasing out/not hiring LVN's. UC has no LVN's and the few LVN's that are left in Kaiser are utilized as CNA's (go figure, I dont really know how that works out for the LVNs). I dont know about the rest of the other hospitals though. If you plan to work in the city, I suggest you get a place in the city to avoid crossing those bridges and the traffic thing. Really nothing can be as bad as LA traffic, but traffic from the East Bay across the bay bridge going to the city can be tough at times too. I live in SF in the outer Richmond district. Its the area between Golden Gate Park and the presidio with the ocean to the west. Its not one of the posh neighborhoods, but its very safe, laid back and quiet (I dont like living IN the "city" but I like living close to it) ...and lots of street parking ! So commute time max (to work) is 15 min. Rents are cheaper because its one of the foggiest districts in the city ( I dont care coz I actually like the fog)..When the sun's out its just gorgeous though..I live 3 blocks from the ocean and 1 from GG park so its great for nature lovers. I have a great 1 BR apt (w/parking) for only 1100$ but will be actually downsizing next month and renting a room instead for only 500$!....well anyway, if you want to avoid traffic on the bridges, you can take a look at the peninsula /san mateo county but as I said, if you plan to work in SF, you're better off living in the city (if you just plan to rent). Good luck! (btw, the locals hate it if you refer to their city as Frisco)

Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 PM

188 posts, read 933,686 times
What do you know about the VA hospital in Palo Alto? I'm already a VA nurse, thinking about coming out there. No questions about wages, I know what they are, just about working conditions, etc.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 AM

87 posts, read 642,991 times
1. Would a starting RN in Oakland or Berkely (sp?) make the same wages ... mid 30s starting?

2. Also, I'm an RN student and would like to know which are the major hospitals in SF beside Kaiser - or which hospitals are good to nurses.

3. Anyone know how much a starting RN would get paid in San Diego?

Thanks

(I know this isn't the nurse forum, but I have to ask)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,684 times
RN's in SF Make up to 90k-100k most starting from 60-70K with huge bonuses.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 24,602 times
I am a nurse too and currently thinking of moving to CA. A friend is referring me to apply in UCSF because of the benefits. Aside from UCSF and Kaiser, what other medical facilities offer better opportunities and bonuses? What nearby residential areas are preferred if to rent an apartment? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:49 PM

48 posts, read 404,999 times
So many to list. Check out allnurses.com under "local" then "California" and go through the titles--there are a lot listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland