Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
If there is I can't find it.

good: great income, Marin county and Monterey bay area is nice those would be the only 2 places I'd want to live in if I stayed here.

bad: traffic,traffic, cost of housing more than 50% + of income, traffic, after spending long hours weekly commuting to tired to go anywhere. Cost of everything which means less disposable income.

and it's cold here. Very, very few really nice hot days in SF.

SF public transit is filthy.
Sorry, but you don't seem to really know what you're talking about. It seems like you just came here to complain.

Your thread title says "Bay Area" but then you complain about the cold weather in San Francisco. Anybody who knows anything about the Bay Area understands the concept of micro-climates. Just because it's cold in SF doesn't mean it's cold in other places. It's regularly in the low 80s during the summer months here where I work in Fremont when it may be in the 50s in SF. This is common Bay Area knowledge that anybody who's spent time here knows of. SF, along with the San Mateo coast are known for chilly, foggy weather. Most parts of the Bay Area don't have that sort of climate.

FYI, the Monterey area isn't part of the Bay Area, it's the central coast. Also, there are plenty of other nice areas to live in the region besides Marin county and the Monterey area. You should get out more.

I'll address your complaint about the cost of living. No s**t, it's expensive. If you make good money though, you can live a good life here. It is out of control though in my opinion. The COL is unbearable for many people here. I actually have a decent job, but I'm still unable to afford to own a home in any neighborhood I'd actually want to live in.

The Bay Area's two biggest drawbacks by far in my opinion are the COL and overcrowding/traffic. I'm sure many people would agree.

Lastly, you need to stop confusing the city of SF with "Bay Area". You start your thread off with "Bay Area" and then complain about SF-specific issues that don't apply to the majority of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:06 AM

238 posts, read 302,367 times
Is there a quality of life? For me, yes. I'm sure for many others as well. I love it here, live in a beautiful neighborhood, and think the weather is fabulous.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 AM

29 posts, read 24,942 times
OP, you didn't define your idea of quality of life. What's that mean for you and the lifestyle you aspire to?

There's so many ways to live here it's hard to logically answer your concerns/complaints without a definition to ground the conversation.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yeah, he's right. You can get a whopping 3 more days of Sunshine if you go to San Diego, or 32 more in LA (Woo Hoo!). It doesn't matter how much proof you show these guys, they'll insist San Francisco has no sun, it's foggy all the time, and never breaks 70 degrees.

I don't waste my time with it as some people are always looking to start an argument despite all proof to the contrary.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...f-sunshine.php

Of course you can always move to places like Hot-lanta, Austin, Houston, Jacksonville, or Orlando (all areas known for hot weather) and enjoy even more fog

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php

This chart only goes through 1990, but as you compare 2014-2015, you'll see what I'm talking about by the chart below (and 2016 has been even better.....yeah, the last three years have kicked ass and it's similar to the peaks between 1985-2000)

The topic isn't really debatable. The proof is there for those that don't have blinders on.

You won't get three nicer years in this area than the last three we've had and we have a warming trend going on. If it's not warm enough for some than clearly this isn't the place for you.

Forecast for rest of September- 17 out of 24 days over 70 and only one day without sunshine. Rock on!
You can really see PDO's imprint on that chart. Also, the warm 1930s are far outstripped by the warm 1980s and 90s, probably due to UHI and anthropogenic surface / near surface waste heat combined with albedo modifications.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:36 PM

473 posts, read 520,611 times
I think it's totally possible to get burnt out on a place. I was burnt out on NY when we left. Sounds like you may be reaching that point here. Which is fine. It's a big, vast country. Why not try something different for a while?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:09 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Yes you can have a good quality of life. I moved away and can't wait to get back.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,276,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
If there is I can't find it.

good: great income, Marin county and Monterey bay area is nice those would be the only 2 places I'd want to live in if I stayed here.

bad: traffic,traffic, cost of housing more than 50% + of income, traffic, after spending long hours weekly commuting to tired to go anywhere. Cost of everything which means less disposable income.

and it's cold here. Very, very few really nice hot days in SF.

SF public transit is filthy.
There are definitely more nice areas here in the Bay Area than Marin or Monterey Bay (which isn't actually part of the Bay Area). We actually moved to one of the nicer areas (tri-valley, in Contra Costa County).

Agree that traffic is terrible here and its getting worse. But, it probably also depends upon where you're comparing it to. I'd say that traffic is terrible in any larger metropolitan area in the US. You'll probably need to get lucky and have a job near where you can afford to live, or you have to put up with it. That would probably be the main reason for my wife and I to consider relocating, but honestly, it would probably need to be a smaller metro area for me to see any significant relief from traffic.

Cost of living here is very bad and getting worse. We almost did leave 3 years ago because of it. Now, we are homeowners, but I can see why folks here decide to leave because of it.

Agree that SF weather sucks. But, the entire Bay Area is not SF. In the tri-valley, we have beautiful weather for most of the year. Yeah, you want to live in SF when you're young and single, as that's where the action is. But, when you're settling down, there are plenty of nice places in the Bay Area with much better weather.

SF public transit is filthy, agreed. But, not sure if that's enough for me to say that other cities are far better. SF does have many other redeeming qualities.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SF just had the coldest August in 74 years and it didn't even hit 70 once. July wasn't much better either.

Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years - SFGate
SF shivers as July temperatures plunge below February's average - SFGate

The coastal climate here is pretty terrible overall in summer.

There are so many microclimates in the Bay Area though. For instance, I lived in Walnut Creek, and on some days the high was 15-20 degrees higher than it was in San Francisco. It's like that in a lot of cities in the Bay Area. The low always seems similar between WC and SF (which is great, some cool summer evenings), and the winters are very similar, but come summer time, lots of 80-95 degree days in WC.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
There are so many microclimates in the Bay Area though. For instance, I lived in Walnut Creek, and on some days the high was 15-20 degrees higher than it was in San Francisco. It's like that in a lot of cities in the Bay Area. The low always seems similar between WC and SF (which is great, some cool summer evenings), and the winters are very similar, but come summer time, lots of 80-95 degree days in WC.
Overall the Bay Area (including even inland) has had a relatively lower than normal summer.

La Nina at work.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
I'm aware but that poster was touting probably one of the worst microclimates in the Bay Area, SF. It can get quite toasty inland but I'd still take that over mid-60's for much of summer.

Hey look it will finally be above 70 degrees again in SF, first time in nearly 6 weeks. lol.

Temps on Wednesday in SF to surpass 70 for first time in 42 days - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland