Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times

Advertisements

I think it's funny that people on this board equivocate buying a fixer on the idyllic Peninsula 40 years ago with buying in a transitional/dumpy area in the present day Bay Area. Sure, both involve opportunity and risk (and hey, maybe that East Oakland house will appreciate the same way houses in Atherton have), but let's be real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 06:19 PM

522 posts, read 736,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think it's funny that people on this board equivocate buying a fixer on the idyllic Peninsula 40 years ago with buying in a transitional/dumpy area in the present day Bay Area. Sure, both involve opportunity and risk (and hey, maybe that East Oakland house will appreciate the same way houses in Atherton have), but let's be real...
Yeah, people buying in the Deep East kinda surprise me. With all the gentrification that's going on you it would think it would make a dent like it has in West Oakland, but everything past 40th Ave still feels just as bad it as it ever did. Yet people are willing to buy homes there for around 600K

Old 09-19-2016, 06:23 PM

IMO they're taking a huge risk with a lot of downside. Up until fairly recently, West Oakland was a complete no-go for a lot of people, and even it still carries a lot of risk. Its close proximity to SF and downtown Oakland give it a huge edge over other areas though. If there's a bubble that's going to burst, it'll hit DEO way harder and sooner than anywhere else. And while people are waiting for it to gentrify, they still have to put up with much, much worse crime than other parts of Oakland. It's precisely why my partner and I haven't bothered looking to buy over there and are happier renting in Jack London.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
IMO they're taking a huge risk with a lot of downside. Up until fairly recently, West Oakland was a complete no-go for a lot of people, and even it still carries a lot of risk. Its close proximity to SF and downtown Oakland give it a huge edge over other areas though. If there's a bubble that's going to burst, it'll hit DEO way harder and sooner than anywhere else. And while people are waiting for it to gentrify, they still have to put up with much, much worse crime than other parts of Oakland. It's precisely why my partner and I haven't bothered looking to buy over there and are happier renting in Jack London.
It's funny people don't seem to realize that deep east has so much crime that it drives Oakland as a whole up. I read about two years ago that nearly 73% of all violent crime in Oakland happens in two East Oakland precincts. I remember one of them was around 50th Ave and Seminary I forget the other, but yeah, it's a gigantic risk living around there.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:30 PM

A lot of it has to do with the density and layout of East Oakland. Because neighborhoods are bunched together closer and it's much easier to get on the freeway than most of West Oakland, I can see why home invasions/robberies/drive bys/you name it would be easier to get away with than in West Oakland. Not to say that crap doesn't happen in West Oakland, because it does in pockets, but even people living in nicer parts like Maxwell Park have to deal with the crime that spills over.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
A lot of it has to do with the density and layout of East Oakland. Because neighborhoods are bunched together closer and it's much easier to get on the freeway than most of West Oakland, I can see why home invasions/robberies/drive bys/you name it would be easier to get away with than in West Oakland. Not to say that crap doesn't happen in West Oakland, because it does in pockets, but even people living in nicer parts like Maxwell Park have to deal with the crime that spills over.
To be fair Maxwell Park, The Laurel and Redwood Heights have done a good job of keeping crime at bay, even if it's close to some of the roughest hoods in California. It's actually shocking how nice it is considering.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:43 PM

It's also pretty interesting how a lot of it doesn't creep over the border into San Leandro. Some of it does, sure, but it's amazing how clear the divide between East Oakland and the San Leandro border is.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
It's also pretty interesting how a lot of it doesn't creep over the border into San Leandro. Some of it does, sure, but it's amazing how clear the divide between East Oakland and the San Leandro border is.
That is a strange phenomenon. I think it plays into the broken windows theory. You see similar situations all over. Think about The Tenderloin and Union Square. They're directly adjacent to each other, but they manage to feel like different worlds.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,839 times
did some google street viewing in that area.

looks like south central LA.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
The area in question has what they call "great bones." Lots of m classic homes from renovated to work in progress. Good location near Bart, Emeryville shopping, Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Rockridge and downtown. Good freeway access. It is in and area tagged for critical new development. And the areas within about 1/2 mile or so are pretty nice.

High odds of significant appreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland