Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
Your offer would be laughed at and no realtor would waste their time to write it up. It's akin to telling BMW you'll offer less than a 1/3 the value for one of their cars. They'll think you are a nut.

I'm not getting what is hilarious about the property listing. It seems like a nice house. It's not on the best block of the neighborhood but that's what 800k gets you now in Oakland- especially near BART and it's near decent neighborhoods. Not getting the ha ha, ROFL part - except in what you would offer for the property.
That's what I said in the beginning. The OP countered that I was offended, liked Oakland and didn't understand him. I still don't understand the point of this posting. If he had worded it in a fashion like, "Wow, look how expensive the Bay Area is. See this nicely renovated home on a crappy looking block." Then people like me would counter, "Yes, it is way expensive. That is a crappy block but it is near BART and areas near BART have gone through the roof in value. The area on the other side of the highway was also a crappy hood for those of us not poor. But, now, it is wicked expensive." It would of died pretty quickly. So, my conclusion is that the OP is a troll. I bet he is still reading this and somehow getting off on it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
That's what I said in the beginning. The OP countered that I was offended, liked Oakland and didn't understand him. I still don't understand the point of this posting. If he had worded it in a fashion like, "Wow, look how expensive the Bay Area is. See this nicely renovated home on a crappy looking block." Then people like me would counter, "Yes, it is way expensive. That is a crappy block but it is near BART and areas near BART have gone through the roof in value. The area on the other side of the highway was also a crappy hood for those of us not poor. But, now, it is wicked expensive." It would of died pretty quickly. So, my conclusion is that the OP is a troll. I bet he is still reading this and somehow getting off on it. LOL
I certainly don't know the OP's motives, but he seems to have some familiarity with housing (money?) challenges and unconventional solutions in an urban environment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Hi all,

I currently live in NYC, and a lot of us do temporary pressurized walls (installed and removed professionally by companies) to convert the living room into an extra room. For example, 3 people would get a 2 bedroom apartment, and then put a wall in the living room for the 3rd person.

Do people in SF do this as well? I would think given the equally high housing cost, it would be pretty common. However, I don't see any particular companies come up on a search for this service, and some buildings I've spoken to said they don't allow it. Thanks.
I'm being vague for a reason.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-23-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 12:05 AM

282 posts, read 618,137 times
I think that $800-900k is a deal to live in Oakland. Sure you could take that money and buy a way nicer house in "anywhere else USA" or most other places in California but then you would be missing out on all the "cultural amenities" and liberal intellectualism of the Bay Area's premier urban metro core and you would be living around a bunch of igonarant, "stupid Texas people" in the hot summer sun, those "fake SoCal people" or some other god forsaken area that isn't here, some dump with a Summer or a Winter and attractive women and affordable housing, Ugh!
$850k isn't even expensive, most jobs in the Bay Area pay enough to buy at 1/3-1/4 of that price but that's what you don't understand because it works that way and if you look at it then it's reasonable.

If you think that anything under $800k is even reasonable even in Oakland's worst neighborhoods then you are insane! You are probably a racist, ignorant fool trolling the forum from Florida. I bought 3 $950k homes in the Bay Area working at a grocery store part time , it's called hard work!!! If I can mortgage $16,000 a month and come up with the down payment for 3 homes here then there should be no problem for someone to come up with the measly $180-250k down payment for this house or any other unless you are lazy. If you can't make $250k plus a year minimum or have family money given to you then you're an idiot and don't deserve to live in the best area in the world! I mean all I hear is complainers on here " I work so hard and make $40,50,60,70 or 80 or 100k or $150k or whatever and I'm priced out, poor me". Boo hoo losers, rents here in the Bay Area should be Triple what they currently are. $3,500 a month for a studio is a steal considering the culture here and being in the actual center of the known universe according to NASA & Montclair 18. Anyone who's anyone knows this. Oakland is probably the nicest spot and best city in the world and makes any other major city look like a back water dump. There is so much here that you can't do anywhere else in the world and everyone is special. People others places don't even know how to order Chinese food or talk or do anything and it's unbelievable that they don't just all kill themselves for not living here in the Bay, especially Oakland as the rest of the Bay Area is just jealous that Oakland has them beat in every way and is by far the best the Bay Area has to offer!

I see Bay Area property values going up at least 4 times as much in the next year or two and this what gentrification is. I love it and I'm waiting for rents to triple again soon so I can rent out my extra 2 houses I'm not using right now to some lazy entitled millenials, probably 5 or 6 of the losers will have to be roommates to afford it working 3 jobs each but that what's happens when you're not born before 1970 and you're lazy and entitled.. Then I can spend the summer at my Tahoe retreat or over in Maui when I'm not working part time at the grocery store. Soon the Bay Area will have nothing but rich people and immigrants and that's really what I've wanted my whole life, I worked hard and I deserve that! All the losers will be forced out to Texas or Florida or some other part of CA and I will live like a 16th century king in my 1,000 sq ft $2.8 mil ranch house castle and rent my others for $29,000 a month. Life is good!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:16 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
I think that $800-900k is a deal to live in Oakland. Sure you could take that money and buy a way nicer house in "anywhere else USA" or most other places in California but then you would be missing out on all the "cultural amenities" and liberal intellectualism of the Bay Area's premier urban metro core and you would be living around a bunch of igonarant, "stupid Texas people" in the hot summer sun, those "fake SoCal people" or some other god forsaken area that isn't here, some dump with a Summer or a Winter and attractive women and affordable housing, Ugh!
$850k isn't even expensive, most jobs in the Bay Area pay enough to buy at 1/3-1/4 of that price but that's what you don't understand because it works that way and if you look at it then it's reasonable.

If you think that anything under $800k is even reasonable even in Oakland's worst neighborhoods then you are insane! You are probably a racist, ignorant fool trolling the forum from Florida. I bought 3 $950k homes in the Bay Area working at a grocery store part time , it's called hard work!!! If I can mortgage $16,000 a month and come up with the down payment for 3 homes here then there should be no problem for someone to come up with the measly $180-250k down payment for this house or any other unless you are lazy. If you can't make $250k plus a year minimum or have family money given to you then you're an idiot and don't deserve to live in the best area in the world! I mean all I hear is complainers on here " I work so hard and make $40,50,60,70 or 80 or 100k or $150k or whatever and I'm priced out, poor me". Boo hoo losers, rents here in the Bay Area should be Triple what they currently are. $3,500 a month for a studio is a steal considering the culture here and being in the actual center of the known universe according to NASA & Montclair 18. Anyone who's anyone knows this. Oakland is probably the nicest spot and best city in the world and makes any other major city look like a back water dump. There is so much here that you can't do anywhere else in the world and everyone is special. People others places don't even know how to order Chinese food or talk or do anything and it's unbelievable that they don't just all kill themselves for not living here in the Bay, especially Oakland as the rest of the Bay Area is just jealous that Oakland has them beat in every way and is by far the best the Bay Area has to offer!

I see Bay Area property values going up at least 4 times as much in the next year or two and this what gentrification is. I love it and I'm waiting for rents to triple again soon so I can rent out my extra 2 houses I'm not using right now to some lazy entitled millenials, probably 5 or 6 of the losers will have to be roommates to afford it working 3 jobs each but that what's happens when you're not born before 1970 and you're lazy and entitled.. Then I can spend the summer at my Tahoe retreat or over in Maui when I'm not working part time at the grocery store. Soon the Bay Area will have nothing but rich people and immigrants and that's really what I've wanted my whole life, I worked hard and I deserve that! All the losers will be forced out to Texas or Florida or some other part of CA and I will live like a 16th century king in my 1,000 sq ft $2.8 mil ranch house castle and rent my others for $29,000 a month. Life is good!
As the Bay Area has a very strong tech ,biotech and finance industry there are a lot of highly educated and extremely well paid individuals living here.

Oakland is located between UC Berkeley and Stanford which is like being located between Harvard and Cambridge. A lot of highly educated and competitive people around.

Some parts of the Bay Area are superb real estate investments attracting buyers from allover the world. A foreign buyer paid $2,350,000 all cash to buy in my Oakland neighborhood.

if you live in the Bay Area and want
a single family home in a nice neighborhood with good schools
and/or private school
Nice auto
Retirement savings
College savings
Vacations
You have to make an admittedly a ridiculous amount of money and even then there are many more hyper competitive people making a LOT MORE

I have to make a crap load of money to live well here but IT'S WORTH IT and heres why. I can go decades with out running into anti-LGBT , anti-minority ,anti-Muslim , anti-immigrant ,anti-science folks.

I don't want to live somewhere where my neighbors don't want evolution taught in schools or don't accept climate change.

This stuff may not matter to you but if your son is gay or your adopt an ethnic child the abuse they could suffer in some parts of the country may change your mind.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:22 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
As the Bay Area has a very strong tech ,biotech and finance industry there are a lot of highly educated and extremely well paid individuals living here.

Oakland is located between UC Berkeley and Stanford which is like being located between Harvard and Cambridge. A lot of highly educated and competitive people around.

Some parts of the Bay Area are superb real estate investments attracting buyers from allover the world. A foreign buyer paid $2,350,000 all cash to buy in my Oakland neighborhood.

and/or private school
Nice auto
Retirement savings
College savings
Vacations
You have to make an admittedly a ridiculous amount of money and even then there are many more hyper competitive people making a LOT MORE

I have to make a crap load of money to live well here but IT'S WORTH IT and heres why. I can go decades with out running into anti-LGBT , anti-minority ,anti-Muslim , anti-immigrant ,anti-science folks.

I don't want to live somewhere where my neighbors don't want evolution taught in schools or don't accept climate change.

This stuff may not matter to you but if your son is gay or your adopt an ethnic child the abuse they could suffer in some parts of the country may change your mind.
Not true at all. The most public display of anti-gay-ism was on a muni bus in SF. The guy was shouting "F*** ****" endlessly, while brandishing a pocket knife to a gay couple on board. This was a crazy homeless person, but I've been called "f*** you f*ggot" many times when I refused to give them money. There are many cities in the country where you can be gay and not harrased or where you arent surrounded by creationists lol. I think you should open your mind a bit more and realize the entire country isnt confederate flag waving bible thumping lol.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post

Great post! Hilarious. Well.done. Really sums up some of the delusion. Waiting for neutrino to chime in...3...2...1...

Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:

and/or private school
Nice auto
Retirement savings
College savings
Vacations

Some parts of the country. You do realize that not ALL the rest of the country is full of yahoos? Typical and EXPENSIVE bay arean myopia. Your post reads like a parody as well, yet unlike the above poster it was unintentional.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They aren't competitor sites, C-D doesn't list homes for sale.

I personally use it because it's the most accurate of the RE sites, Zillow is the worst.
Yeah except at least on some of the state forums they used to block zillow sites and craigslist as well with "thats a competitor site" reasoning? May have been rogue editors who didnt understand the guidelines, though.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:

and/or private school
Nice auto
Retirement savings
College savings
Vacations

I would like to believe that most of the country is over the intolerance you describe. I am currently house shopping in Atlanta, in established family neighborhoods, and from the real estate agents to the home sellers Ive met so far, I have yet to feel even a hint of discrimination or intolerance because I am a single gay father of 2 adopted children. On the contrary, the people have been great.

At the same time, seeing the neverending plethora of great homes for sale here at very reasonable prices( by Bay standards) makes it clear to me that until we build more in the inner Bay, it will get more and more expensive.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
In Orlando after the terrorist shooting, rainbow gay pride flags were flown all over the city, blood banks had lines miles long, the streets were covered with people paying their respect for those who lost their lives, local hospitals covered all medical bills for the victims. Honestly, there is an ignorance problem within the Bay Area of people who only have known the Bay Area. They don't seem to realize that the rest of the country is pretty open minded and accepting, especially talking about most major cities from Seattle to NYC to Fort Lauderdale/Miami to Portland to Austin etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland